Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch drums on an 8 inch axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Oct 17, 2006.

1. marq

marq

So has anyone done this ?i want to change over my rear axle to 5 on 5 1/2 bolt circle the drums i have are too small for that pattern.I am having some 8 inch shafts tailored with that pattern but if i buy a whole 9 inch drum package deal can i get them to fit anyone?..................Marq

2. squirrel

squirrel

you mean a truck 9" brake setup? for a small bearing rearend? hmmmm....

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Dont think so. Although they do make a brake kit to fit small bearing 9's and 8's they have a 5x41/2 pattern and i dont know if there is enuff room to make the drums 5 1/2 Why not run adapters?
    Dave

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

IF ...
    I understand the question correctly ...

Some early Ford Broncos 9 inch rears came with a small wheel bearing ( like the 8 inch rears )

[​IMG]

SO ... you could use a set of those and get the backing plate and drum to match the wheel pattern of your new axles ...

The small wheel bearing axles use a 10 inch brake drum and the large wheel bearing ones use the 11 inch brake drum like the Ford pickups of that era.
    :D

5. Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Rio Grande Valley Deuce

Marq

As I understand these brake kits, your backing plates, drums, and brake shoes need to be off of the same assembly/application.

If your backing plate fits the housing, you should be okay (ie. large bearing housing/large backing plate as compared to the small bearing housing/small backing plate).

I'm not sure that you would want to install large truck brakes on an 8 inch housing. These probably would not match anyway - I think the large brakes come with the large bearing (and backing plates) and need to be installed in a housing that matches the large bearing.

My comments do not consider welding the large bearing housing ends to an 8 inch housing.

Food for thought.

Luck with the install - RGV

6. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I'm not sure, but there might have been 8" rears in some of the 70's F100 series light duty trucks...if so then all you need is the drums from one of them....I'm not 100% sure, but I think there were some....

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

To my knowledge, no Ford trucks came with 8" rears - I'm happy to be proven wrong on this - no emotional stake in it whatsoever.

I'm not aware of any kits with the 5x5-1/2" pcd either. Everyone seems to want Chev or Ford (passenger) patterns...

I think Deuce Roadster has the right angle - that's about the only combo I know of that might work & I wouldn't swear to it....

8. marq

marq

Nice to hear you alive and well Ernie..................Marq

9. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

There is a place called Bronco Graveyard < http://www.broncograveyard.com/ > in Brighton, Michigan. They seem to know their stuff, and have a wealth of tech info, as well as available parts, on their site. They show small-bearing 28 spline big pattern brakes for 9" rears, and have the parts available. To get to the tech section, follow the Customer Service link.

John