Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Water Pump Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Feb 7, 2006.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

For those still suffering with the stock hemi water pumps I thought you might find this interesting. Over the years I have had the need to rebuild a 392 water pump simply because I wouldn't cough up the ridiculous dough they wanted for a "new" one. The problem was getting the parts - sure the seal (I think you can get at McMaster-Carr) but the darned shaft and bearing can be tough to find - that was until I looked at my nearest swap meet!!! After measuring a few things I soon realized that Ma MoPar did in fact use some of the same parts after all - they just hid them in different castings. I have rebuilt several 392 water pumps with parts scavenged from various SWAP MEET deals. Seems everyone recognizes the big dollar 392 pump and wants an arm and a leg for one, but these bad boys use the SAME internals- except for the upper right - the impeller on that one is smaller so you'd have to reuse the old one - no biggie - unless you got a plastic one - those can be trouble (sometimes) to remove in one piece. Don't ask me what these fit - the lower left is 392 - notice the double gussets on the bottom of the bearing support - dead giveaway 392. The others - who knows??? But they are MoPar and have saved me quite a few pennies MORE than once.

The biggest problem I noticed is if the "seat" on the 392 casting is corroded. I have chucked these up and faced them off - seems the spring is forgiving enough to not care it's a little shorter - but my next one I am gonna press on a stainless sleeve.

On a related note - here's a cool vintage - modified 392 pump housing - heavily ground on and modified - definitely a keeper.

Attached Files:

2. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Good post thanks for the info!!.man-a-fre

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Which Mopars did they come off from?

4. Andy

Andy

Just guesses but I think the top left 4-bolt is dodge hemi and the top right is flathead 6 cyl. The lower right might be 318

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Good ideas. Is the Chevy water pump frowned upon? There is a certain peace of mind to running something that is easily available, especially a part that is likely to blow up when you least expect it - and is difficult to repair when it happens. :eek:

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Personally I run BOTH the factory 392 Chrysler water pumps and I also run a BB Chevy pump on at least one of my hemi's. So I wouldn't say that the Chevy pump is frowned upon - it's just that some guys prefer the stock look on some cars - I know I do - that's why I run both depending on the car. As far as breaking down - carrying a spare hemi pump is no big deal - easpecially if you get one CHEAP ;) and that was my point here - a way for us tighwads to come up with cheap hemi water pump parts. Last fella I talked with told me he spent something like 200 bucks for a hemi pump and then "ate" another 75 bucks for a core charge - some ridiculous shit like that! I get these "oddball" pumps at the swap meets for anywhere between 5 and 25 bucks.

Last time I blew one up I was on the way to meet some buddys at the local cruise - the pump blew about 1/2 mile from the house - I limped home and sawpped it lickity split - topped her off and still made it there on time. Running early hemi's has taught me to keep the shelf stocked with spares - and pack what I can in the trunk.:rolleyes:

7. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Did anyone ever compare these Hemi pumps with the newly made Motorhome waterpumps from 440source.com?

http://www.440source.com/waterpumps.htm

I would *think* by looking at the design of the pump fitment could might as well be very close.

8. krooser

krooser

I know water pumps do fail but I can't remember the last time I had to replace one on the road. Usually they are sound enuff to be able to limp home after you add some coolant...maybe several times.

I worry more about wheel bearings, tires, etc.

Good tech info HR...I found the local bearing supply house can usually get any kind of bearing...and most seals, too.

I have a BBC water pump set-up for my 354...but I found a NRS 392 pump for $25.00...I going to run that and rebuild a spare.

9. I have a rebuilt example of the bottom most pump (P/N 105-1011).

Anyone nearby have a 392 housing I can test fit???

Anyone?

10. Advance Auto Parts sells the water pump for my 315 Dodge Hemi for $40...it's a 4 bolt. It does however have a steel impeller...my stock water pump had a black plastic impeller, not sure if this is original or if somebody replaced it along the way, but I seem to remember reading they started using the plastic impeller in '56 on the Dodge engines...I think what I have is actually a '55 water pump...but I could be mistaken...either way the thing fits and works great! Cheap alternative to using the Chevy pump and adapters. I have the part number in the garage if anybody needs it.

11. Grainger.com sells water pump seals for industrial applications. I spent at the store looking for a direct replacement for my '51 331, to no avail. I finally just bought the cheapest 5/8" seal they had and adapted it to my pump. With any luck it won't leak.