Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC piston question-am I FUBAR'd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuceguy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. deuceguy

deuceguy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK so I am trying to install the wristpins myself and whaddya know, I messed it up. First try and the pin fell about about 1/4" short of all the way in. I am wondering can I press this (very carefully) the rest of the way in?

2. were you using heat to install the pistons on the rods, and didn't get it all the way in? you can press them in too , but it has to be done right,,,you don't want to put any stress on the piston . i have a tool i made for my press to disassemble them , but if i don't get it quite right with heat when assembling..i give it a little push.

if you don't have to stuff to do it , it may be time to take it to a engine machine shop...shouldn't cost too much

Attached Files:

3. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I agree with 36 3 window take them to the machine shop so ive galled a few before pressing them on at home without the right tools,its not worth the risk.

4. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Yea, I agree with both guys, drop by a machine shop and let them press them on the rods. If you mess up you can crack a piston or even have a wrist pin knock.

5. marq

marq

Just heat up the piston itself with a blow torch butane type ,try not to heat the pin up too much.When you get the piston at the right temp that pin should just drop in with a little shove.I always find that if i have a nice piece of Wooden dowl turned down a little so the end slips in on the iside of the pin it gets them in square...................Marq