Register now to get rid of these ads!

monoleaf front spring on model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jettwein, Oct 12, 2006.

1. jettwein

jettwein

I have one of those TCI (I think) monoleaf front springs and I bolted the front end together on the truck and it seems REALLY stiff. What's the friggin spring rate on these things? Is it likely to be too stiff for the front end of what I've got? It'll be suspending a flathead and 32 truck cab. I have just the block in it now and the cab set on the frame and I can still barely budge the spring if I stand on the front corners of the frame and bounce up/down. Should it be that rigid?

I got a stocker model a spring from Richard D on here the other day, but it looks like it's too wide for my setup. I have split bones with the lower spring mounts set through gussets on the underside of the bones. When the stock A spring in bolted up, the shackles are vertical. Too wide a spring is my guess. Only option is to go wider kingpin to kingpin width on the axle to solve that if I wanna use the stock spring, eh?

Bummer, I was really looking forward to using the stock spring. Any thoughts on solutions, anyone? The lower spring mounts are adjustable, but are backed out all the way as wide as they can go.

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have been running a mono on my A pickup it seems nice to me, not stiff.

3. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Have used mono's on a number of hiboys with great success

4. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I too have a Monon on my A chassis. It rides real nice. Mine is a durant. Durant may make all the mona springs, I am not sure.

5. CruZer

CruZer

I put one in my '40 coupe and it seemed stiffer than the spring I replaced when I tried bounching on the front bumper,but it was fine. The car rode and handled much better with it .It was a Durant.

6. bradslowmodela

bradslowmodela

is a monoleaf anytihing like a 1/4 elliptical?
    my 1930 ford model a sedan has a quarter eliptical front leaf suspension with a candaliver horizonal shock set up. the ride is awsome. it also made it possible to give the car a 1 1/2 ride hight, without (z)ing the front frame rails.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

A mono is a thick tapered mainleaf. No stack.

8. It's worth mentioning that if you use a monoleaf front spring (I'm talking model A here) and mount it inside the crossmember at the highest point, so as to lower the front end the maximum amount, you need to check how close it comes to the frame rails. You may find yourself notching the frame.

9. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

My "A" (28) has a Durant "mono leaf."

It came with a set of 6 short leafs (the short leafs hang out about 8" either side of the spring center bolt) that can be stacked either on top or underneath (or any combination there of) the main leaf to raise or lower the front end.

It seemed a bit stiff at first; but once everything was in place, (rad, engine etc.) it works great. At the moment I have 3 of the short "spacers" above the main leaf, and 3 below. (the combination of the "short" and the main leafs makes the center of the spring as thick as a stock spring so you can use stock "U" bolts)

There is just enough clearence that I don't need frame "notches." But I also mounted small "snubbers" on the frame, just above the spring leaf. (just in case!!)

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You didn't say if you had already installed powertrain and equipment. Any spring will be stiff until you put 700 lbs of motor on it. Jumping up and down on your frame won't quite simulate a loaded small block, much less a hemi.

11. jettwein

jettwein

Yeah, I mentioned that the cab and bare short block were in/on it. Maybe I'll leave the monoleaf in there then, and just see how it goes when the whoel thing is assembled.

Interesting to see that there are others using monoleaf springs though...

12. BigChief

BigChief

You've got a lot of weight to put in the car yet. Don't worry about how stiff it feels at this point.

The crank and flywheel for the flathead alone weigh as much as some complete short blocks, the tranny and bellhousing add alot of weight as do the radiator, seats, dash, fuel, and water . Don't worry about how stiff the front spring is until EVERYTHING is in/on the car and the car is sitting on the ground. I ran into the same worries when doing the front end on my '48 Tudor....once the entire motor driveline and most of the front sheetmetal was in the car did it start to drop down and look/feel more normal.

-Bigchief.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

running a mono leaf on my model A sedan. rides great (its a Magnum I believe)

14. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I'll do some pimping here.
    I'm a dealer for Durant mono-springs.
    Free shipping for Hamb'ers
    10% off and free shipping for Alliance members.
    I'll post pic's soon of my chassis with the springs..

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You're not pimpin', your WHORIN'! hahahaha!

I'm using the TCI mono. Felt stiff when I was mocking everything up, but now that I'm driving, rides GREAT! SBC/TH400 Model A pickup.

16. Go Devil

Go Devil

Got any good photos of that set-up? I would certainly be interested to have a look.

17. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I'm the pimp,the parts are the whores.

where's my Kid Rock CD?.....