Register now to get rid of these ads!

Semi O/T: dipstick materials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Oct 12, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a little off topic, but I figured one of you guys would know.

I need to make a custom length dipstick for something we're building here at work and a pretty long one at that. Was thinking I could use flat spring steel or something since it's retains it's shape well and has good heat properties. Anyone have any idea where to get materials like this? Will be turning a knob for it also.

I would appreciate your input!

Thanks!
    Scooter

2. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

If its going to be shorter than normal I have had good luck cutting down junkyard dipsticks, plus its already marked.

3. Cword

Cword

Cut a length off an electricians fish tape when he's not looking.

4. Merc63

Merc63

Whatever you decide, make sure it's an original dipstick and tube made back in the car's era, otherwise it'll up and leak the car's soul all over the driveway...

Can't be havin' a no-soul-havin' car...

;)

5. jdubbya

jdubbya

You might want to go junkin' and look for a van dipstick to cut down, those things are extra long. Just an idea. -Joe

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I need something like a van dipstick that's real long. I may even consider doing exactly that. This sucker needs to be about 40 inches long. Problem is I need about 6 of them. I figured on drilling a small hole for the high and low oil positions and either rivit or weld it to the handle that we'll be making.

Anyone know where I can get the same stuff that they use for those dipsticks?

7. jaybee

jaybee

The stuff they use for recoil springs on lawn mowers is very similar in width and thickness.

8. el gringo

el gringo
    from Chicago

I've ordered small quantities of spring steel before from Admiral Steel (admiralsteel.com). I see 0.020x1/4" in their catalog, seems like it should work.

9. Just how hot does your mill run that you need to worry about "heat properties"? :eek:

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Lokar uses a flexable teflon material. I order custom length for one of my customers... they are real pricey.

I know they have seperate part numbers for the teflon... maybe they can get you a whole roll of it if nothing else pans out...

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one of those in my other car and it works okay. It's sort of hard to read trans fluid on, but it definitely works okay.

It's actually for a generator system here at work. Honeslty it probably doesn't get rediculous hot, but I didn't want to just stick any old kind of metal down a hole that long.

Also, it turns out that it's only about 24 inches, not the 40 I was thinking. This could save me.

Since all 6 generators have to be retrofitted with this dipstick they all need to be the same for documentation purposes. However, I may be able to work this out pretty easily if I can find 6 regular dipstick and retrofit them to the know we make.

I'll check out that admiral steel place.