Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blower guru's, will this work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with that, there may be some heating going through the second blower resulting in a pressure increase, probably not a good thing overall.

2. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I still don't see how there can be any more air going into the engine than what the top blower can grab out of the natural air. Maybe the bottom blower would theoretically help suck it out of the first blower, yeah, but that would be theoretical. I'm thinking that in reality if the top blower is sealing well between the rotors and the case, then there is no more air that can be sucked out of the top blower than what the top blower pushes out. Maybe if the first blower has a poor seal, then perhaps. Nevertheless, the additional blower would probably just generate more heat. Regardless of the fact that there is an intercooler, I just don't see this as being a well-functioning setup, and I do feel that there would be several complications because of it. IMHO, it's just for looks. And I don't like the way it looks, either. Bad proportions, visually. But it wasn't built for me, so my opinion matters nothing here.

3. The bottom line is, you can change the pulleys on ONE 6-71 to have so much overdrive/boost the motor/head gaskets can't handle it, so there's no use for a second one. It's gay.

4. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

All I can say is his wife must really be disapointed its so small. He should have bought a Porsche like the rest.

5. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I don't like all this motor up in your line of vison stuff. How do ya see where your going safely? Its a super blind spot right up front. stupid.

6. squirrel

squirrel

that would only be a problem if you drove it.

7. hilborn283

hilborn283

i think the 'big picture' on the topic car is: now everyone who saw this pic now makes reference to the "pypes" car.even if it doesnt work,it was a great gimmick for getting people to remember their name!

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Lesson failed...

Roots type blowers are different than say a centrifugal turbo. They are POSITIVE displacement. That means the screws turn outward and capture air between the screw and the case. It moves down until the screws mate up and force the air out the bottom and no space remains between the screws. It is an absolute certainty that the pressure under the blower is greater than the pressure above. If the top blower increases pressure from atmospheric to atmo +10, the second blower will start with atmo +10 and increase it more. This is dual stage supercharging and it does work. It ain't pretty and parasistic losses make it a questionable investment, but we all new already that nitrous was cheaper. The real limiting factor is the mechanical ability of the intake tract to contain the pressure. There is a limit to what you can do with so many seams to seal. It's a SHOW CAR!... But I bet it makes some good horsepower.

As far as the blower being so high obove the block, it is sitting on an intercooler, but that is also a tube chassis car. The oil pan and lower frame are both about 4 inches off the ground. Yes, it sticks up above the hood.

Class dismissed...:cool:

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Not yet...

The trick with 2 stage supercharging is that it's a way to minimise adiabatic losses.

A Roots Blower gets pretty in efficient when you try to get really high Boost out of it.

So they would boost the Charge to a certain inbetween level, feed it into the next Blower that would boost it to the level that they needed.

Thats why the Second Blower on the Alfa 158 ( the pic I posted earlyer ) is so much smaller.

If they would have shot the Auto Union Video that Ryan just posted from a different angle, you would have seen a simular setup.
    ( Except I believe the twin Blowers on it were standing up straight, and maybe even one casting...)

10. THAT'S funny. Andrew Dice Clay says, OOOHHHHH!!!!

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Yup. I think I've seen the siamesed case you're talking about. Wasn't it an industrial application?

In any case, every detroit deisel that runs two stage boost is taking advantage of the same principles. I always wondered if the supercharger was used to minimize the lag of turbos on such a large displacement engine. I've driven a Provost Coach with that setup and it was pretty crisp.

12. KY Boy

KY Boy

I have seen a detroit diesel V-6 driver on a fire pump that had a turbo feeding a roots style blower that sat down in the valley of the engine. It was a fire pump and made for constant rpm but man that thing sounded crazy during the pump test when we were shooting 4500 gpm thru the pipes!!

Roots type blowers are not compressors themselves. They just move air from one place to another. You see these things used everywhere in factories doing just that, moving air. Centrifugal chargers and turbos are actually compressors themselves.

Attached Files:

13. BLAKE

BLAKE

That setup can look cool....

[​IMG]