Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotgas, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'd like to see some vintage mechanical fuel injection systems and their parts. Let us know if it is gas or alcohol. Also any vintage racing pictures (drag, Indy, Can-Am, road racing, etc.) of cars running it would be interesting as well. If you've got something to share, be it a Lotus 4cyl or a Ferrari V-12, let's see em. Roothawg, do ya hear me? :)

How come no one runs this stuff anymore? Is it because carbs are just so simple? You just flat out can't beat a set of calliope injection stacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Carbs are far more complex than injectors.

3. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Injectors seem to intimidate some people . I always had more problems with a carb

4. Bugman

Bugman

injectors usually require constant fiddling with as the weather changes, while carbs tend to be more bolt on and go. It can also be difficult to tune in just right, right Root? :) Gas milage also sucks and they are very finicky on the street.

5. synthsis

synthsis

it depends on what you are using to manage the injectors. they are simple but can be a nightmare to get going correctly. but once they are going it's usually straight sailing.

6. Here is a picture of a small chevy, with Hilborn injectors. I had this on the street in 1972, on a 61 corvette, I spent six months of spare time to, to get this to work corectly and be driveable in trafic.
    [​IMG]

7. Bugman

Bugman

Here's the best pic I have of mine. 4 port Hilborn, cam driven fuel pump.

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of my plymouth that koachwerks took of my plymouth at his deal. Its an Injected max wedge clone. David

9. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

ummm...what is this thing?! details, starting point for me to find more myself etc.

[​IMG]

10. Bugman

Bugman

Porsche flat 12 I believe.

11. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

ah, porsche...i shoulda figured that out based on the cylinder arrangement since i started as a vw (shhhh) man:eek:

thanks for the info...now i have a place to start to find out more about em

12. hilborn283

hilborn283

<---------------

13. Blair

Blair
    from xx

The flat twelves came in 917's and the some others. Bad ass, they dominated can-am racing. I think it is one of the most interesting race cars ever built. If you ever have a chance to get to a vintage race, go look at one for a while. They are built out of about 1" dia aluminum tubing, there are only a couple of tubes and a thin sheet of fiberglass (and an inch or two) from the drivers ass to the ground.

Who says carbs are more complicated than injection???

Constant flow, maybe....but mechanical timed injection like Lucas and others made, I don't think so.

14. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Here's the one we put on the coupe this year. 2 3/16" manifold that had 6" stacks. Now the stacks are now tall enough to kill the top end power, but at least they can be seen. I have some pictures before we put it in the car but they're too big to post. It's a Hilborn unit that had never been bolted to a block. When I got it, it was still in the original box that Hilborn shipped in 1970. Haven't really leaned on it yet 'cause it's rained all 4 times we've taken it to the track. It is simpler than a carb though. Ran 9.49, about 2 tenths faster than it had been running on gas.

Also came with a couple of other pieces. A vertex mag that was fresh from Joe Hunt where it had magnets installed and converted to dual tach drive. I think the receipt was for $125.

And a set of forged .060 over 283 pistons w/ rings, Venolias, that are also new in the box from around 1970.

The seller's uncle had aquired parts to put a car together and I guess it never happend. All the parts had been bagged and sat on a shelf for years. The gentleman passed away and his nephew agreed to help his aunt get rid of them and raise some cash. This is as close as I'll ever come to the proverbial "barn find".

Attached Files:

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, I can't find anything to NOT like about your car. That is radical. Really love the spindle mounts and fuel tank behind the grille. Is that a steel car? Doesn't really matter to be honest. :D

What compression is it? Running the stock 283 crank? That's exactly the kind of car I was wanting to know more about. That is GREAT. :cool:

16. Pretty fuckin' snazzy!

17. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Thanks. Nope, it's glass, but I try to stay clear of that discussion. Compression is under 14:1. It's also not a 283. I have those parts saved up for a future project.

The stacks did change the look of the car for the better. The only disadvantage I see over the carb set up is the car can't really be easily run by one person. With the carb I could start it move it around the garage, load and unload the trailer etc. With alky, I get paranoid about corrosion in the system so everything gets blown out and fogged down with WD40 if its going to sit more that 12 hours. On the other hand, it wouldn't be much fun without my buds anyway. If the weather cooperates we'll take it out again in a couple of weeks and see if we're smart enough go any quicker.

18. GTS225

GTS225

I have a pic that I'd like to contribute to this thread, but am not hooked up with a photohost. Anyone care to recieve it email and post it? (Yes, it's been downsized and cropped.)

Roger

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I don't care about anything made by Lucas.....:cool:

20. Soviet

Soviet

Courtesy of GTS225
    [​IMG]
    Well, mine's not on an engine yet, but it is a curiosity, if nothing else.
    Yes friends, that is a Hilborn manifold, with barrel valve and "stacks" for a
    slant six Mopar.

Roger