Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way off topic / I sure miss Stevie Ray Vaughn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 10, 2006.

1. I am too a nSRV fan, his guitar work was phenomonal,his singing gutsy as well.....what should have been we will always wonder......:(
    On the subject of other guitarists..Jeff Beck is to be checked out for sure..take a listen to his CD"Who Else"....listen to a track-"Room for the Pappa"

2. rikaguilera

rikaguilera

Got to see him live three times. Once at "La Semana", (fiesta in SA), and twice at a small bar in Austin (very small bar). You knew that he was way more than different when you got to see him live. He was the best.

3. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I envy you guys that got to see him play. Man! I've got all his Cds. The latest one by Scorsese is really good, I love "Give me back my wig" I can't help but wonder what he'd be playing today, kickin ass for sure!

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

you gotta play it all on 13's to get that tone man...makes you appreciate how he played even more when you realize that it was on such heavy strings!:cool:

5. JamesG

JamesG

Those guys don't even have a drip worth of talent compared to guys like Stevie, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Albert Collins.....

Next to rockabilly and surf, I love the blues. Matter if fact, theres on thing on my to do list that I need to do before it's too late. I want to go to B.B.'s and see him live some night before he's gone.

6. sololobo

sololobo

almost hate to tell this S.R.V. story cause it may sound like one-upsmanship. But it was so cool I have to share it. During my life living in Santa Barbara, Ca. I got a tip from a buddy that Stevie was going to play at U.C.S.B. in a small hall on campus. And scored a ticket as soon as available. Unbelievable show, so after the show went to a local club, Art's Bar, my pals The Pontiacs were playing and I'm goin nuts tellin them about the show, Stevie shows up at the bar, jumps up and plays a couple tunes as the joint closes. After bar party at the bass players pad Stevie jammed with the guys till 6:00a.m. He was so cool and was just another guy at the party, I"m thrilled to have partied with him, even drinking and tokin all nite he seemed in charge and having a ball with new friends, I remember him giving us hugs when he split to go to the hotel. It is a cryin shame we lost this great one when he was cleaned up and playing his best. I was fortunate to see his bro Jimmy at the Continental Club at the Lonestar Roundup, shake hands and exchange chat about the great event. Two of the true icons. So thats my Stevie story and I'm stickin to it. Rock-on Sololobo

7. Scotch

Scotch

It's summer, 1984. I'm 17, and my first car (a '58 Impala I'd been working on since I got it at 14) is on the road. For the first time I'm rolling with some of my best high school pals, in my car, and we're having a ball just enjoying the moment. One of the guys pipes up and says he heard there was a free concert at the local Univeristy of Buffalo campus, and we head over to check it out. Sure enough, the grass is full of people and Cyndi Lauper is starting a set. We laugh out loud about how odd it is that she's opening for... SRV! I park the '58, we work our way to the front, and I enjoy my very first live concert...in the front row, seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn.

The weather, the company, the car, and the man were all perfect that night. 'Pride and Joy' had a special meaning to me when I heard it.

It was a day (and a show) I'll never forget. I've been to at least 100 concerts since then, but that one was something else.

~Scotch~

8. Gator

Gator

Gotta be my all time favorite.

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The topic is awesome give me Double Trouble baby loud.

10. 21tat

21tat

Miss the hell outa that guy. Used to go see him at Joe's Generic Bar on 6th Street in Austin for a buck!! Doesn't seem that long ago.

11. got the cd's and dvd's here.......never saw him live almost during the soul to soul tour but missed.

12. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

SRV....'"Thanks for all the love you pased our way"

13. Bert

Bert

Freaked out when i saw this guy playin pipeline all those years back on the TV....Bought all his records....tryed to copy his "sting" as a young guitar player..haha....saw brother Jimmie last year when he toured out here...........Used to drive an airport bus and freak out the business class passengers with littlewing and the lights low.......worked as a roadie for many years and love the stories of guitar techs back stage...never saw it but aparently used to throw guitar as did his roadie..they passed in mid air to be caught/plugged in/and the licks kept flowing.....in a move that would have been like when he unhooked his guitar and spun around and it ends up behind him yet facing foward.........dont get me wrong..love the guys music....notes flawless...in the words of others.....he could play at the speed of light and sustain a note for days..........Jimmy was quoted as saying he was like a radio being tuned in...when he was on the dial..it flowed like a flood.....If you ever see a pic of his setup that he used on the instep albulm, it will blow your mind.....I will look for it..................He had huge hands like he was MADE to play that beat up strat that was almost unplayable by others...huge action/big strings...13s........I was stunned on his death......he has a huge following in australia and played on one of our sat night shows.......I would love to see that old footage.....My brother in law got to meet him......decided to tell me about 2 months after the fact.....BB is awsome too...the guy changes strings while playin haha...gotta see it to believe it..............and saw buddy guy years back....he walked out to saint kilda road in Melbourne Australia...wailing away and walking around sittin on pretty girls laps and just giving everyone the best blues lesson ever.....................Robbin trower is up there for me too...sorry for the rant, dont get to share this stuff with the many musically retarded folk I know.....haha...............Bert