Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Advice on Early HEMI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman

First let me say that this BB kicks A$$. I'm building a traditional 31 5W coupe and need some advice on an early Hemi. I have gone back and fourth on what mill to run, and I'm pretty set on an early HEMI. I have been searching and searching and All I can come up with is either a box of parts, a frozen engine, or a rebuilt for crazy $$$.

I have a line on a running 276 out of a 53' Desoto for 500.00, only problem is that it's across the country and I can't inspect it, so I am taking a serious risk buying it. Shipping is gonna run me like 400 bones to get it to me. This engine comes complete with all accy's A/C to Pan and with a fluidrive trans.

Looking for some advice from guys that have had to rebuild these engines so I can guage a worst case scenario.

PIC of the engine

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Lancer

Lancer

Is the guy with the desoto selling any other parts? I also have a 53 Hemi Desoto that I need parts for. It does cost some serious bucks to rebuild one. You mentioned that is has all accessories A/C to pan. I dont think it has A/C, from the pic anyway. Dont think it was an option in 53. Thanks!

3. Chopperman

Chopperman

(A/C) Air Cleaner.... Sorry about that.

He is only getting rid of the engine/trans. What do you think of the deal ? Basically I'm gambling with 900.00. It runs yes, but I've also had MANY brit bikes that " ran " but you still needed a rolling tool box behind you.

4. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

Its a hemi,......... get it,.......... rod it..................

5. Lancer

Lancer

If it was local, for $500. I would get it in a heartbeat.

For $900. across the country?

He says it runs, would he be willing to do a compression check for ya.

Still pretty tempting, I see them locally for around $900. but they are tore apart and need a couple of grand worth of work.

Ok, ya I would get it.

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello...If your not looking for lots of power the smaller Hemis..ie Dodge Red Ram..Super Red Ram and your early Desotos..the are lot easier to install ..The Dodge Red Ram is the smallest in block size..241 ci..with little help it can give you good power..The size is almost the same as a SBC..I will tell you that it is not inexpensive to build..The only place to get good parts is Hot Hemi Heads..Bob Walker is great, willing to share his knowledge..Get Tex Smith book on Hemis..Read and learn first..??????
    My Red Ram is going to cost about $5,000.00 to build..About the same as a Flathead..JUST REMEMBER..YOU have HEMI not a everyday SBC, that 95% of the Hot Rods run..
    :D "IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT DON'T OWN IT":D
    Duane..:eek:

7. Mopar'd

Mopar'd

I run a 331 Desoto hemi and have had the lil 241. FO the money stick with the 270+ cubic inch. I would recommend looking for a 55 and above hemi block. The heads in all three makes have great metalurgy and the parts on the high blocks tend to be less. Fuel pumps on those motors can use 70's version 318. A 70's version electronic distributor is easy to adapt allowing for driveability dependability and readily available parts. The only real weakness to the motors are the water pumps. I know hot heads makes a conversion so that you can run a big block water pump on your motor. However i didn;t like the look. For starters... switch to a high torque and last but not least, use a modern adapter... i know bendsten transmission makes an adapter for all of the hemi engines. I also would use hot heads. By the way, i have about $1800 in my motor. Most of it was looking through parts books and wrecking yards and figuring what can be adapted. Good luck with your hunt

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A 276 DeSoto is probably one of the hardest hemis to find speed equipment for. You could always try to get a HAMBer that lives near the engine to look at it for you before laying out your cash. For my money, an early Chrysler engine that costs more to start with will probably still be cheaper in the long run, when it comes to buying parts for it.

9. flathead okie

flathead okie

My Dad had a 291 Desoto Hemi rebuilt for 2100-2300 $ about 6 yrs ago. Included new pistons, and rebuit cam shaft.

10. George

George

Probably just a typo, but the DeSoto is a 330, the 331 is a Chr. I saw a post (possibly different site) where a guy ordered head gaskets for his 331 DeSoto & was dismayed that they were too long!

11. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Chopperman--- I "THINK" EVILT might have a Hemi for sale. PM him and see if he still has it. He was selling one at a smokin price a while back...

12. rough cut

rough cut

I have a 331 hemi that i might sell if interested,it would have to come with a free car.I gots a 54 chrysler new yorker with the og 331.some new parts.

13. Chopperman

Chopperman

PM Sent

Also, does anyone have any input on using the stock fluidmaster trans ?

14. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Only problem with a Desoto Hemi is you will have trouble finding an intake other than a 2 bbl. You could make on but that can be tricky so good luck, I say do it.

15. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

You can get a u-fab intake for just about any carbs for the desoto.I also 4 barrel intakes on ebay pretty frequently but they are pricey... I have an old drag rcer near me that use to run nothing but desoto hemi in his cars.... The fluid drive trans sucks...If you decide on a small hemi I have a dodge red ram 241 and a desoto 276 with an adapter for a 727 ..both just sittin waiting for cars right now.. PM for info or my contact number.... EVILT

16. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..Intakes for Hemis are not problem if you want log type..I resently finished this for a Desoto Hemi..Works great..
    I would bolt an adaptor for a 350, 400 or 700r..
    Here is a picture of the Intake..
    :D LET THE HEMIS RUN:D
    :eek: ....Duane....:eek:

Attached Files:

17. Mopar'd

Mopar'd

Ditch the fluid master transmission unless it is complete and good working. THey were a good tranny in their day. But parts and technology has made them obsolete. Go for dependability, a good torqueflite will be more reliable or convert to some other bow tie brand

18. Chopperman

Chopperman

Your box is full.

I'm interested in either one of them. Shoot me a PM or E-mail with pricing, condition and pics if you got em.

Your in Cali so I can pick up.

RJ

19. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

STROMBERGS-- Who sells the adapter for TH350-TH400 trannys? I looked on wilcap and couldnt find one for my '52 331.

20. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duane,

I was going to post about this very subject today. I'm in the same boat as Chopperman. I have decided I really want to run a hemi and have been doing quite a bit of research. I have my heart set on a '55 Chrysler 331, but have been seriously considering the 241 or 270 Dodge because getting them to fit will be a whole bunch easier. What kind of horsepower can you squeeze out of one of the small Dodges? I want a really tough motor, but I would still like it to be reasonable to drive on the street. Is 400 hp within the realm of possibility for one of the baby hemis?

Any thoughts or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thor

22. George

George

241/270 cranks are not the strongest, but should be OK if you don't get real radical. You can only squeeze so much out of 241 cubes, Hemi or not!

23. Chopperman

Chopperman

Picking up the 241 red ram, adapter and a 727 from EVILT.:cool:

EVILT, Thanks for the help on the phone and as mentioned I'll most likely be picking up some other parts as well :)

see you in a couple weeks

24. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

THAT IS THE PLACE<<
    duane.

25. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Thor1..I'm not realy sure what horse power I'll be getting..When engine is finished then I can get a good idea..I'm building my 241 for durability and of course some power. My block is .030 over with oversize valves, and Hot Hemi Heads street grind cam..I'm nt sure about induction..3x2 or 4x2..Which ever, the over size valves will really help, with the better lift cam..And most important is the exhaust..Good set of custom headers..Can't buy just any premade set due to the steering in my 1935 Ford..I bought just the flanges and will have the headers made while in the engine compartment..I'm realy looking forward to getting it running..Everthing is done except the cam, waiting for it from Hot Heads..Spring is my goal..
    Duane..

26. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

George..The 241 and 270 cranks are great..The are forged..very strong..your bigger Hemis..Desoto and Chrysler have cracking problem on the crank..I recomemd all cranks be maged..Most builders don't, be sure to ask..
    Duane...

27. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

[
    This guy said you better listen i got pretty deep into early chrysler hemi stuff and guess what? at the swap meets i attend so did everybody else walked past a nice early log red ram 4 deuce intake in kansas city earlier this year cheap and a few desoto speed parts in lincoln,stuck with chrysler that everbody else is after if it were me id go with a super red ram themn a desoto then if you cant find either buy one of my chryslers. .........quote=strombergs97]Hello..Intakes for Hemis are not problem if you want log type..I resently finished this for a Desoto Hemi..Works great..
    I would bolt an adaptor for a 350, 400 or 700r..
    Here is a picture of the Intake..
    :D LET THE HEMIS RUN:D
    :eek: ....Duane....:eek:[/quote]

28. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Jason, the adapter you refered to are for 54 and later hemis. I cant seem to find an adapter for the long bell to TH400 tranny...hmmmmm...

29. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duane,

I realize 400 hp is a little unrealistic for a 241 as they were only 140 hp from the factory. I would assume with a good cam, intake, exhaust and perhaps a little head work you could double that amount or maybe a little better, perhaps around 300 hp.

Keep us posted on your build. I would love to see some pictures when you get everything screwed together. There's nothing cooler than a freshly built, clean hemi!

By the way, I saw a fellow selling an offenhauser aluminum 3 deuce intake on eBay with a buy it now price of $350.

Later,

Thor