Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which way to the Hunnert Car Pile Up?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Biz-mon, Sep 29, 2006.

1. I'm not giving directions...just thought some HAMBers might be taking the same roads and could travel together?!

Anyone want to go with me or join in along the way?!?
    I'll be driving East on Illinois Route 6.
    Leaving Rock Island around 5:30am (Saturday, Oct. 14th)

Which way you going???

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm taking I55 to I80... but I'm coming from Chicago

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

We are leaving Highland, Indiana around 1:00pm Friday... heading through the construction and onto 80....

anyone from the East or South through NW Indiana around that time wanna tag along???

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Biz-mon!!!;

Don't you want to go EAST from Rock Island??? You might end up in Iowa if you go west. Have a good trip. Stu

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

he's taking the scenic route.:D

6. Stu,

Umm....correction?!?
    "East" would be the direction I'll be driving.

That's why I'm not giving directions!?!
    So which way are you going?
    You are going right!?

7. Why, Yes...I always take the scenic route.

That's why I'm going "EAST" Route 6 instead of "EAST" on I80.

Oh, I've corrected my post already...

So who esle is going?
    East, West, North or South???

8. We'll be heading out of Indianapolis on I74, but I can't remember where we turn right at. :D We took a more scenic route coming home last year and will probably do the same coming up this year.

We'll be cruisin up with the Road Rocket folks probably around Noonish. No more leavin at 4PM cause it get's frickin cold when the sun drops in a roadster.

9. Appleseed

Appleseed

Anyone truckin down good old Route 47?

10. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Probably coming from the Rockford area sat morning. Maybe go thru SickAMore to Morris, not sure yet.

11. Kurt

Kurt

East on 80 to exit 112 after work on Friday.

12. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Coming from Rockford with about 8 cars total saturday early. Im thinking all back roads for that fuzzy fealing!!!

13. El Tortuga

El Tortuga

I am coming from Indianapolis, I was going to take I-74 to Champaign friday night and grab a hotel there and drive the rest of the way to Morris in the morning. Does anybody know how many hours it is to Morris from Champaign RTE 47? Thanks Dan

Attached Files:

14. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

the best way is to click your heels and say theres no place like hunnert,etc:D

15. Uncle Big Bad

Uncle Big Bad

I'll be leaving from Princeton, IL. Was planning on takin 80 , but if ya wanna hook up in Princeton, cuz 6 runs right thru here, I'll be happy to run with ya! Lemme know. Robert

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, what time is "early Saturday" and do you have a back roads plan? Running down the interstate isn't real appealing to me right now.
    Gene

17. Uncle Big Bad,

We should be going through Princeton around 6:30am...
    Where on Route 6 do you want to join in???

18. Uncle Big Bad

Uncle Big Bad

Ok, coming thru Princeton on RT 6 you will go thru 2 stoplights, then the next stop is a sign. Just before you get to the stop sign, you will see an old grocery store (big parking lot) on the right. I'll be waitng there. Look for a yellow 48 Ford tudor. What will ya be driving?? See ya then!

19. Uncle Big Bad,

The "old grocery store" parking lot it is...around 6:30am
    I'll be driving my dark green and black '51 Pontiac.

20. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

50dodge4x4, PM sent keep intouch

21. leaving Atlanta on the 7th...

22. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Got your PM,sent one to you.
    Stick Shift, you getting in on this? We could hook up at my place and motor to Rockford and hook up with these guys, soon as we get the details.
    Gene

23. Gasser57

Gasser57

Our group is coming down from Cleveland, Ohio. I hear there is some bad construction in Chicago. Is there a better route than going through there?

24. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Any Wisconsin or Minnasota guys goin down 61 or I-90? We're headin' out Friday afternoon. How 'bout it Wrenchbender?

25. silent rick

silent rick

I80 from the ill/ind state line to where I294 splits from 80 to go north is under construction. conditions vary depending on time, weather and gawkers. sometimes the traffic backs up into indiana. avoid the area between 3 and 7 on a friday(rush hour). we plan to breeze through it around 1:00 in the afternoon on friday. at the height of construction, they shut down lanes at night, but i don't see that happening this late in the season.
    last year traffic was backed up. we ended up taking side streets til we passed the construction area. don't know if it saved us any time. you could take I65 to US30 west to I57 back north to I80, but once again, traffic would really need to be backed up into indiana for that route to save you any time it took just riding out the traffic.
    if you plan on passing through nw indiana around noon on friday, our starting point is a couple minutes off of I80 at the kennedy avenue exit(3rd exit from state line) in highland indiana. we want to be on the road by 1:00(central time).

26. Gasser57

Gasser57

Thanks for the info.

27. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly
    from Chicago

About 20 of us will be heading west from the Chicago burbs down Rt 64 to 47 at about 7:00 on Saturday morning if anyone wants to tag along.

Bobby

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

LIsten to Silent Rick (ironic, isn't it?) 80/90/94 going towards Chicago is bad. Look at a map and plan an alternate route via local roads. If it starts backing up, get off and take locals. It might be scary in Gary, but not bad anywhere else.

29. silent rick

silent rick

if you're heading west on I80 and make it all the way to the state line before hitting the brakes, you might as well ride it out. most of the side streets are going to be backed up anyway also, with locals knowing which route to take.

fwiw, i was late coming home from work last friday, a little after 5:00 pm, and traffic was doing the speed limit and above all the way up to the state line. it really hasn't been as bad as in years past. but all it takes is an accident, tire changer, or bad weather, and things can get screwed up pretty fast. the best bet is try to go through the area at off peak hours.

30. Uncle Big Bad

Uncle Big Bad

Ok, Biz! Hopefully there will be a couple other guys from here that will join the convoy. See ya then!