Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trans Upgrade For 54 Chevy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ORGANGRINDER, Sep 30, 2006.

1. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

Does Any One Know If It's Possible To Hook Up A "late Model" ( I Know That's A Bad Word...but ) Std Trans, Like An S10 5 Spd Or Something Like That To A Stock 6 Banger In A 54 Chev Wag? I've Got To Keep That 3rd Pedal But I Wanted To Use It To Tow My Model A And Still Get A Little Gas Mileage.

The Organgrinder

2. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

[​IMG]

Sorry, I could'nt help myself......Do a search there have been plenty of threads on this subject.

3. ComingApart

ComingApart

Any late model tranny swap for your car will involve converting over to an open driveline setup. That involves ditching the torque tube rearend and fabricating mounts for and installing a conventional rearend and drive shaft setup and the suspension changes that it entails. It's a pretty popular setup for these cars, although it may be more than you want to bite off.

Here's a good link for you to start with.
    http://50chevy.com/parts.html

4. Kustm52

Kustm52

Got a whole writeup on how to do it.. pm me and I'll send ya one.

Brian

5. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

THANKS...I KNEW I WAS GONNA HAVE TO CHANGE THE REST OF IT TOO. I'M GONNA FIND A REAR END OUT OF A 4X4 S10. I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE SAME MEASUREMENT AND IT SHOULD HAVE A 3:O8. I'LL USE THE SPRING BRACKETS FROM THE OLD REAR END SINCE IT'S OFFSET. I JUST WASN'T SURE ON THE TRANS HOOK-UP. I'LL CHECK OUT THESE PLACES YOU'VE TOLD ME. THANKS FOR THE HELP ! !

6. The old hangers allowed the rear axle housing to pivot and stay pointed at the ass end of the tranny, not what you want with an open (Salisbury) drive, but normal mount can be drilled for the offset spring center bolt. Once upon a time, we used a '56 rearend in a '50 but had to pull(pry) the leafs out a little bit! Also have heard that 4x4 S10's sometimes have 3.73's and/or posi.
    UNCLEE!

7. Stay away from 3.08....
    S-10's from the late 80's - early 90's have 3.42, 3.73, or 4.11 gears, everyone that i talked to before i swapped mine said us the 3.73 or 4.11. my car has 3.73's and i'm happier than shit with it. Anything numerically lower the car will be to low in RPM's and will make highway speeds crappy....

8. Custom54

Custom54

Can't remember exactly but I think my starter was bolted to the trany, not engine? I think you need to get some kind of adapter for that?
    Maybe someone else on here know?

9. I have a 700r4 in my 54, and needed an adapter which the started bolts to the adapter. if your planning on a T5, i beleive the later bellhousings (55 and newer) you can bolt the t5 directly to.....try searching this topic...here has been a lot of good info on what others have done.

10. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

thanks alot for all the info. i knew someone on here would know what to do and that'll save me alot of trial and error time. thanks again!!!

11. I got my help here too......just trying to pass on the info......good luck and keep us posted....