Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Flathead engine stand bolt size.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolmilitary, Sep 29, 2006.

1. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Hello Everybody. I finally got my flathead block back from the machine shop.
    Had 250 bucks worth of stitches done to it, But pressure tested great. I am ready to finally start on my U.S. Navy inspired 1929 Hot Rod.
    What color will it be you ask. Haze Gray!
    Working on the renderings now.

My question. Since my motor did not come with the transmission bolts, I need to know what size is required to mount my block to the engine stand. Anyone have the size off the top of their head.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, If anyone can think of some cool customizing ideas that relate to the Navy, that would be awesome!

Take care.

Ed.

2. TimDavis

TimDavis

The bolts are 3/8" - the wild thing is getting the head of the stand to fit on the back of the block - maybe the 8BA blocks are better, but the 59A block, the bellhousing pattern is so small, it makes it hard to get the thing on the stand - I made my own arms for the stand that were shorter - I guess that is what people do -

BTW - you'll want to post on intro - some of the guys get a little "coarse" with the new guys.

3. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

foghorn, signal light

4. Ah..theme cars...even better, a Navy theme. This will be entertaining to watch.

5. jettwein

jettwein

I don't know that I'd bolt a 59A motor (if that's indeed what you have) up to a normal engine stand. Check out the integrated bellhousing - not exactly strong.

I have one and was freaked out about putting on such a stand and eventually just fabricated one that bolts into the exhaust manifold bolt holes into the actual meat of the block. Works great and it's a little more piece of mind for me.

Keep in mind - it's just my personal paranoia that made me do that - I'm not saying it can't be done - I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who will tell you they've mounted dozens up with no problems. I just didn't want to be that 1% (I usually am). It only took about 20 min to fabricate one up from some 3/8" plate and a piece of 2" tubing.

Also FYI... not all the manifold bolts are the same size - at least on mine they're not. A few are bigger than others - can't recall which ones off the top of my head.

For ideas on Navy theme - maybe paint "28 knots, no smoke" on it! :)

6. tdoty

tdoty

Ummm, wouldn't a '49 flathead be an 8BA? I used SBC main cap bolts to hang my Merc from the stand. That makes me think they'd be 7/16-14 instead of 3/8.

I may be wrong, but that's the way it is in my garage.

Tim D.

7. jettwein

jettwein

It sure would... my bad for not reading.

8. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Thanks All!
    I'll head on down to the hardware store and pick up the 7/16-14. Thanks tdoty! As for the Intro. I thought I did it a while back when I first joined. I'll be sure to do it again. Maybe I goofed up.
    Take care.
    Ed.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just use the long head bolts you removed when you tore it down - perfect fit. And don't mount an early motor by the bellhousing. Use the exhaust manifold stand that was made for it.

10. Hotrob

Hotrob
    from DFW, TX

Exactly, do not mount it at the rear of the block, you are asking to break your block. They make an exhaust bolt (side) mount that will safely handle the weight.