Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - Strange Autotrader Replies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick79, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

This is slightly off topic, but given lots of folks on here have used Autotrader (I assume), I wanted to see if this was common.

So I'm selling one of my cars (not a hot rod) on Autotrader and I received two email "leads" that struck me as strange. Here are the two responses.

"I have a Capital One blank check for 17K with your name on it, if you're interested."

"I would like to submit an offer of $17000. I have an HSBC Finance Blank Check and understand that it would have to clear before I take delivery."

Both of these were from different people, but you can see the common theme here. Blank check? Is this common on Autotrader? Seems like SPAM to me, but there was a person's name attached to both responses. Seems weird to me........

Happy Friday

Nick

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

it's a scam Bro- counterfit checks.

If you want to go that route, I will draw you some hunnerts for your Chicken wagon though!

3. KY Boy

KY Boy

I've seen every trick in the book. Just reply with, "Show up at my house with US CASH ready to take immediate delivery or dont bother me." If they are scammers you usually wont hear back. I've just been burned by checks, late pickups, etc too many times.

4. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Yeah...that's what I figured, but haven't used Autotrader. SPAMers are everywhere. Bitches!

5. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Dear E:mailer,

I will gladly accept your check, please make them payable to me, Sherriff Bubba, at Macon Co.

However, due to the banks in the area being run by my Bother-in-Law, the County Prosecutor, who is quite busy prosecuting bad check writers, instead of tending to bank business, it may take a while for your check to clear.

Hopefully you will understand,

Yours Truly,

The owner and probably always will be, of the fine vehicle you wish to purchase

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've been paid by a blank check before. It was no problem. You can contact the bank it is drawn on for confirmation before accepting it. I also retained the title until funds cleared. It took 5 days. I also delivered the car so that I had an address verified for the buyer. If you are selling a high dollar ride, financing is a reality. Either learn to use it, or miss sales.

7. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

The last time I tried selling something on Autotrader, they warned me of scamers. I received several emails and calls that didn't sound good. Be careful..

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmmm. Selling a high dollar ride is a reality, use it or miss sales?

The bank don't sell cars, and car dealers don't loan money!!!!!!!!

9. Actually, some car lots do loan money. It's called "toting the note." I used it all the time when I had my lot back in the day. Payment was required on friday by 6 or at 6:05 the car was on the hook.

The bank don't sell cars, and car dealers don't loan money!!!!!!!![/quote]

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I guess they don't have escrow services or title bonding agents in Podunk either, huh?

If you expect someone to pay you more cash than a sane person would carry in their pocket, you have to educate yourself and learn how to conduct business without undue risk to the buyer or the seller.

Oh, There are several banks in these parts that regulary sell, and finance cars repossesed in podunk somewhere and plenty of car lots that carry the note. Come to the party with something worthwhile or don't come at all.

Nick, Make very clear statements to any of those messages that you will insist on safety measures to protect the transaction and all the scammers will disappear.

11. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

the first thing to remember is it could take months to clear, regardless of what the bank says, if there's problems down the road they will hold you on the hook. My bank says, "yeah, it will "clear" in a couple weeks, but if it comes out down the road as fake we withdraw that from your account" That seems to be the common practice.

Also, any sane person waits to see the car in person to make an offer. Or, at the very least ask tons of questions and ask for more pictures. it's extremely fishy to offer out the blue with a blank check on a car you have never seen.......... Beware

12. jettwein

jettwein

This is a well-known scam. If the person calls, they'll likely be from Uzbekistan or somewhere similar and they'll say they have a 'client' who has just moved to the states and needs a car/television/insert your item here. For your troubles, they'll be happy to pay you 5x what you're asking for it. The cashiers checks and money orders they use are forgeries. Western Union and MoneyGram are pretty common ones that are forged.

Link to a craigslist article with some of the 'winners':
    http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html