Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60 Elcamino turned fenderless hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Docfranknstein, Jul 28, 2006.

1. The Big M

The Big M

I love this. It is ambitious and innovative as it is inspiring. It's given me a really great idea that I hope I can pull off someday...

But first, it's Stupid Question Time. When narrowing, channelling, shortening, and/or chopping a full-fendered car, which does one do first? I'm assuming the narrowing comes first. But how do you deal with misalignment issues when you take 18" out of the roof, floor, and firewall all at once? Do the intact pillars keep things relatively straight?

2. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Holy crap, is that thing ever cool! I want one! :D

3. Custom54

Custom54

Great idea, I like it!

4. I can see '60 Olds taillights on the back of that, real easy -

5. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Damn that thing is cool!! I have to agree with Gotgas, you should stuff a blown 348/409 in it. A wild ass W block would set it off.

6. uncleo

uncleo

Greetings from Long Branch,N.J.,Americas first seashore resort....project is looking GOOD!
    If memory serves me right your ride reminds me of Don Tognotti,s custom ranchero...looking forward to seeing it finished.

7. uncleo

uncleo

Sorry guys i guess i am getting old....i remember the ranchero but got the owners name wrong...main thing tho is that i really dig it.

8. beater40

beater40

dang thats cool, now what have I got lyin around needs a big slice, dice, section, shorten and more. I like that elky a lot.

9. Cshabang

Cshabang

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That car was too far gone to save... in CALIFORNIA. It didn't look that bad for the midwest.

Regardless, that is insanely wicked. Can't wait to see more pics!!!

11. haring

haring

I'll admit I expected not to like this car, but I thought so much of it, I sketched up a few ideas for the front end. That car is creativity on wheels.

Whatever you do, it needs quad headlights! :D

[​IMG]

12. I love this car.

As for the front end, I like Haring's drawings...The first one (top) with a full hood cut out for the tires like the bottom pic.

Bitchen.

13. roddinron

roddinron

Man you're a true visionary! You might wanna consider incorporating a edsel grill as part of the front end, but with your vision I'm sure it'll be cool. I wish we could do stuff like that in pa. they just dumped the fender law, but it's gotta be a street rod pre '49 to run without fenders.
    And Hatch, I agree, I only had the pleasure of meeting Ed once, but I was so impressed with what a nice polite guy he was. He even asked my wife if the video camera was on, then went into a story about a trip to the beach, looking into the camera and singing "wake up little Suzie". Great guy and a precious piece of video tape.

14. moparrrat

moparrrat

well thought out, excellent design work...its gonna be a hell of an eyecatcher ..!!

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Damn, Haring, I like 'em all. I particularly like the bottom one! Oh yeah...

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

BTTT in case you did'nt see this before.

17. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Talk about "outside the box"! That thing is wicked and cool. Mike

18. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Very cool concept! A lot of guys are saying keep it fenderless, but I think fenders are the only way to go. When I saw this, my first thought was "Beatnik Bandit" style. Here is a very crude photoshop of what I mean as well as a few color applications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. moparvetern

moparvetern

wild and cool. anybody know what has happened to it since??? love to see some updates!! now where is that rusty 56 desoto 2dr at.

20. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

21. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Here is a pic of the nose, I would have put it here to start with but thought this post was gone, I'm glad to have all the responces and ideas, I had missed some of the replys and I'm glad I got to read'em today, Haring, I dig your sketchs very cool I'll be saving those.
    1 Shot Slinger, wow those photo shoped pix are wild, I'm saving them in My pictures too, fendered like that would be interesting , could You photo shop Me a fenderless one with yellow flake? and maybee some green flake fade to the fins and roof edges? About what I cut 1st, it was the narrowing cuts, in the middle down the roof and thru the cowl but not the floor, that was cut down both sides where Your feet go, the most important thing was to line up the windsheild and back window areas again so some glass could go back in this thing. Again I'm glad You all like it and I'll keep Ya posted on progress. Von Doc

Attached Files:

22. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

This is what it looked like when I narrowed it.

Attached Files:

23. rixrex

rixrex

Yeesss...way cool...more pictures of grille and windshield treatment...I've been hacking and pasting a 1960 Cadillac four-door hardtop "flat-top" with the wraparound backglass with the same visions..you are much farther along and an inspiration....rixrex

24. madgrinder

madgrinder

25. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Yeah the peacock I can see that and yep I do remember that far ago too.

26. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

how on EARTH did i miss this?!

what an inspiration, this car Rules!

27. classicfins

classicfins

Damn man.. Here I've been huntin' a camino cab to convert my '59 Olds to an Olds Camino and you're cuttin one up. But man o man what a cut job! That baby is totally juiced and I LOVE it! It is totally wild and i can't wait to see the finished project (hey, I know.. they're never finished) Cool beans man. Awesome work.

28. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

I was diggin' through some old mags trying to find Tiago's 'Chero. That was one of the wildest customs I've ever seen! Your 'Camino should lookas as good..:)

29. I LOVE DIFFERENT !!!! And boy is that car (truck) different. Can't wait to see more pics. Bob