Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Channel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokey Stover, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Hi Folks, New guy on the board.
    I wonder if anybody has some pics or suggestions about channelling a '29 A?
    I have a '29 coupe that has been chopped 3" and I would like to channel it 4". I'm using a homebuilt A frame with a 400 Pontiac, a BOP TH350 and a 9" posi.
    I have built a channelled '27 roadster on A rails but I confess it's 'glass and wasn't too hard to do. I just can't see re-engineering the wheel so to speak.

Attached Files:

2. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Well, since I'm a FNG, you may want to get some pics and pointers from some of the more experienced guys on the board since you probably know more than I do. But I thought I'd offer up my experience channeling my tudor since I take LOTS of pics. It's all on my blog but not all together in one post. This post shows me removing the body from the original car and if you click "NEXT" on the bottom of the page you'll see me building a new floor and tacking it in 4 inches from the bottom:

http://tinyurl.com/krsxc

Then I ended up chopping the top so you might want to skip that part and pick it back up where I built a "cage" to replace the wood and that's when I attached the floor more solidly to the body and the new cage:

http://tinyurl.com/k5yp4

Again, click "NEXT" at the bottom to see how I finished the whole thing.

Now, one of the pros may school me on this but I hope the pics help.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first thing you need to do is an Intro:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Then you need to do a search. Alot of great info here on the HAMB and some of it needs to be renewed. You will get lots of help here as well. Just make sure it wasn't covered in the past couple days or you're going to get flogged.

Next.... ask questions.

Project is looking good! Do the intro so you don't get publically destroyed. Spend some time looking around too. These guys like things to go down with a certain amount of structure.

4. buschandbusch2

buschandbusch2
    from Reno, NV

headhunter, wicked pages man! Gave me some great food for thought for my own 29 sedan channel job, though you started out with a bit more meat on the body than I have! Keep up the great work!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

im preety sure redbeards sedan build post "late tech for...." had somepeety good chanelling ideas/pix

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

headhunter, excelent page! very well put together.

tim

7. Well, since I'm a FNG, you may want to get some pics and pointers from some of the more experienced guys on the board ..........

You have done a great job for someone who was starting basically "cold".
    Thanks for the links. Here is a link to my page but it's nothing like as detailed as your "photo essay" http://home.nycap.rr.com/stovertown

8. dirtcop

dirtcop

I am just finishing channeling my 29 tudor. I used the original subrails that were in very good condition and sliced them parallel to the frame approximatley 1/2" away from the frame. I dropped the body down 4 inches and welded a length of 1/8" x 4" metal to fill the gap. I then used 3/4" x 1 1/2" tubing to complete subfloor and added 18 gauge sheetmetal to make flooring. I'll try to attach pictures, but if it doesn't work and you are interested I can e-mail pictures.

9. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Well I went out of town after my post above so I didn't see these responses until now. I don't want to hijack the thread but I did want to thank busch, Tim, and Smokey for the props. I'm just hacking away hoping it comes out alright. I'm glad it was somewhat helpful to you Smokey - your page is great too - awesome work!

10. k9racer

k9racer

Are you the smokey stover that raced circle track roadsters in the 50s??

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Headhunter, nice Blog man. I have been thinking of channeling my A RPU project. It just dont seem to sit right with the body up on the rails. Im using original A rails boxed and z about 4 inches in back (Yeah HUGE Z right??!!)Your page makes my job a lot easier!!I do have one question about the way you chopped the top, are you worried about future rust along your chop line with the double thickness of steel on the body? I'd be worried that if water got in there it would rust out. Cheers,Doc.

12. That is a bad ass write up man!!!!! I have been looking for a long time to find something on channeling and you had it. Thanks!!!!!

13. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I've been fighting with channelling one of my 30-31 A coupes for years. It will work for your 28/29 style as well. I did a lot of research....I took a 4" section out of the firewall as to keep the original floor board supports. Then it's a matter of adding a 4" section of steel at the door after making a horizontal slice. Keep walking around the subframe with 4" pieces of steel. (14 gauge--.075") That way you keep the same body mounts. If the subframe is totally shot, use 1" tubing steel and some 16 gauge (.060) steel for new flooring. I hope this helps.

14. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks fatty! I appreciate it, man. I'm glad someone's finally getting use from my site - for a while there I was just doing it so my clueless family could watch and laugh at me.

Doc - thanks as well. To your question, yes, the issue of rust between the panels and backing plates crossed my mind but here was my rationale for not worrying too much about it:

1. The rest of the car isn't exactly rust free :) So it's not like I'm going to end up doing some $5K paint job on this thing and ruining it somewhere down the line because of some rust bubbling through.

2. Because the backing plate is on the interior, it's very unlikely that I'll get very much direct moisture in there as long as I have a roof. It's been around for 75 years already and the inderior isn't rusted all that much - the real bad stuff is at the panel bottoms where water can collect and rot through - just not likely that's going to happen at these seams once I finish the welds on the exterior.

3. This approach was described in this book (link below) and they didn't seem too worried about it.

http://tinyurl.com/fcf5g

Honestly, I was worried about being able to do a good enough job after screwing up my initial attempt at the doors. trying to get the cut lines to line up well enough to do a perfect butt weld with panel clamps seemed kind of daunting for an amateur. This way helped line everything up perfectly.

15. Clyde

Clyde
    from Las Vegas

Attached you will find a few pic's of how my brother channeled his 28-29 Model A C-dan.

Attached Files:

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mate, I have never seen that idea before and with limited skills getting it all lined up was somewhat daunting to me too. I like the Idea and am thinking of using it myself on an A coupe.
    With a little bit more thought, my A RPU started out as a tub and that sat in the open in a paddock for 50 odd years. The worst rust are pinholes in the bottom of the doors and where the floor slants up along the cowl. So I guess it would take at least another 50 for it to rust again like that anyway.
    We cant have any rust on our cars or they wont pass registration to be driven on the street, our road laws are a lot harsher then the US. Just didn't want to do something that would fuck myself over later.
    Cheers,
    Doc.

PS, 5,000 pain job?? Thats worth more than my whole car!

17. Nope, not me. I inherited the name from my Dad. Between us we had about 75 years in the Fire Sevice. So Smokey Stover was a natural nickname.
    I was a Firefighter EMT and also ran on the ambulance for about 6 years and then became a Town Judge.

18. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

No rust allowed on your cars??? Damn - that changes everything! I think there would have been about 3 cars at the Day of the Drags this weekend if we had the same rules :)

19. MustBnuts

MustBnuts
    from Toronto

HH

I see your newbieness and raise you two...at least you took welding lessons.

I just jumped in the deep end and have been second guessing my self since.

I am pretty much in the same situation ...one chop saw ( for building a deck 3 years ago.) and a couple of drills and a 8 amp sawzall still in the box.
    here is a couple of pics causing my sleepless nights..

But....first and foremost ...you have inspired me amigo.

thanks Robert Bullard, Toronto

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MY SHITTY FRAME the six banger is not mine....

[​IMG]

Get a load of the pinion brake and the garbage welds I think this frame is junk now but I ll still clean it up..and see if he totally ruined thme metal.

[​IMG]

So once again thanks for your inspiration

rb

20. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Robert - your body is in great shape! Nice filled roof too. Yeah, the frame is pretty rough, but I've seen worse... just depends on what you can live with. Glad it was inspiring - keep at it man!

Smokey - sorry this has all gotten off-topic on you. I didn't mean to derail this thread!

21. Im really interested in checking out your pics, but your link is broken? Do you have a new site?

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I'd love to see some pics, can you post them on here?
    Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app