Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have I done!? Build Progress Rambler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pikesan99, Sep 24, 2006.

1. pikesan99

pikesan99

I posted a while back with pics of the 61 Rambler Wagon I bought. I have visions of it looking something like the one seen in the other picture I'm posting. The finished one was built by http://stokedoutspecialties.com/
    The guy I've talked to there, Roger, is super nice and has answered a bunch of questions for me.

So my original plan was to use the frame from an S10 blazer, but a friend suggested I use the front clip instead to avoid cutting out the floor. I think that's a smart thing and will help me finish it this decade! So I've cut the front out to make way for grafting on the S10 frame and Chevy V8. Now I'm thinking, WHAT HAVE I DONE!!??

Anyone else think that way? My pops said he felt like calling a tow truck to take his 64 Fairlane to the dumps, but he's been driving that car for about 10 years now. I'm not ready to quit, but I've got alot of work ahead of me.
    I wish all of you the best on your projects!!
    Pike

Attached Files:

2. Hip

Hip

Keep on hackin away dude, and your gonna see that the plan can change course mid way through the project, cause you might see an easier /quicker way to git her done!:D

3. kustomkolin

kustomkolin
    from Herts UK

The same thought went through my mind (What have I done!),after cutting the roof off my Konsul.Then work progressed and its getting there,so I`m now thinking,"I`m glad I did that".Lol.Insanity is the norm for most Rodders/Kustomizers.Keep the progress pics coming mate.

4. DrJ

DrJ

Looks similar to a 60's Volvo (122?) firewall.

5. Clark

Clark

Neat car. Don't forget to cover the windshield when welding or grinding. Sparks will ruin it. I learned the hard way.
    Clark

6. pikesan99

pikesan99

All,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm focusing on the "frame" rails sticking out at the bottom of the firewall. That's where the S10 frame will attach. I'm not sure if it'll be over, on top, or below those rails. On top would be cool because then it would be like Z-ing the frame. However, if I do that, I'm afraid the engine will sit too high. Plus, its easy to get parts to drop the s10 front susp.

The firewall looks so wierd because the heater blower was mounted there, plus there are vents for both sides of the car. All that's gonna go and be smooth, or mostly so.

I will cover the glass, Clark, thanks! I was going to take the glass out, but I think in the car's about as safe a place for it as any, right?

Pike

7. farna

farna

I'm thinking "what have you done" too!! The original rails on Rambler 50-62 (63 American) unit bodies are as strong as most frame rails and could have been left on with tubular bracing from the firewall to front of rails, just the inner fenders cut out. BUT, since you're this far already...

The Rambler convertible had an extra set of rails extending from about where you have yours cut off straight back to where the original side rails bend back to the axle. I don't know how wide the S-10 frame is, but you could trim the original rails so that the S-10 frame fits between them and run back to where the S-10 rails will intersect the original rails, sort of like subframe connectors. You can then Z the S-10 rails if necessary.

The firewall is pretty clean even as is. Unless you plan on using an SBC or some other engine with a rear distributor I'd keep the original heater. Be different and use a Ford 302 or something with a front mount distributor! Of course if the S-10 had a 4.3L v-6 that you're going to use, it can be moved forward enough for the distro to clear the heater box.

8. do you know anybody who wants to buy a 1950 nash rambler conv. 1,500.00. its cheap, need to get rid of it.its in san antonio texas.