Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbor Freight Chineese Junk!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Sep 21, 2006.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I didn't do that, but I have seen the same thing happen to a couple of the Harbor Freight ones. It's because you get what you pay for. They're made from sub standard materials and most of the welds suck. The second thread actually talks about how and where to reinforce the cheap ones to keep it from happening.

2. My tool was rated for 18 ga, I was using 20 ga to be safe and broke it IN HALF on the first cut! This was a thick, heavy casting! Some other stuff like air tools have worked fine.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

that is NOT a harbor freight cherry picker. that is the even cheaper knockoff you can get at parts stores. the HF unit has the proper reinforcement that goes from the ram mount to the rear pivot. the "real" HF design has been around for many years and works good.

i hate buying there, but i still do. their stuff is cheap, but improving. their body hammers and dollies are now forgings when they used to be castings, their grinders are the best deal you'll find for $15. bead roller, beverly shear, etc. are decent tools that a guy like me could not afford otherwise. you just gotta know their stuff, and know how you will use it. i would not stock my entire shop from their store, but a lot comes from there.

4. I bought a high pressure sandblaster from them. I have had to replace everything on it but the tank.

Bought 2 240v welders from them, neither worked. One had parts floating around inside.

I will only go there now if its something like mig wire or tips and every other store is out of stock.

5. I confess father, i have shopped at Harbor Freight
    But like everyone else says , just be carefull what you buy. Some times cheap tool are all you need. Their prices on small wheels is great. Have a set on my avatar.:D

6. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

I had heard a theroy, Most tools cost about $1500. What that means is, you buy a $1500 tool and it will last you a lifetime. If you buy a $500 tool you will need to replace it twice in your lifertime. If you pay $250... Well you get the idea. I hate the proliferation of these chinese tools. Cheap, yes. I have some in my shop. I have grown to hate Sears. And the Home Dopots have all but put most the smaller independent hardware stores out of business around here. So where do you go to find quality American tools?

7. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

Oh, I've used and abused cheap tools...especially engine hoists:eek: ...not me in the pic!
    Yes, I put that car in that truck!!

:D

Dave

Attached Files:

8. octane

octane
    from Virginia

I've had mixed luck with HF stuff. I have the 16 ton pipe bender, which has served me well, and the jack stands, dollies, etc. are all good. The Bench Grinder I got at HF is crap. I've had it for years and it's never failed, the motor just sucks - it bogs under any kind of pressure. The parts cleaner tub was a piece too...the tub was actually fine, but it took about a week for the recycled plastic pump to disintegrate in the solution.

I just bought a little mig welder there to learn with...I know I'm likely to get flamed for that, but I'm just learning to weld and am not going to be using it for anything structural, so it made sense for the time being. When I get a bit more confident in my welds and start tackling larger projects I'll sell this thing and invest in a nice machine - but for 99 bucks it was worth it to me.

9. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I bought a sand blaster from HF. It is a big PILE-O-CRAP!

I do not like that store.

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

here's some of my theory in buying tools. welder, torch, compresser, etc. the big important stuff, never ever cheap out on. buy the biggest best name brand you can afford. if at all possible, buy the last one you will need, but if you need to start with an entry level unit, stick to the name brands and it will still be worth something when you upgrade.

grinders, electric, die, etc. i have many of the cheap imported ones, one for eeach wheel type. that way i don't waste time changing wheels. at 15$ a pop you can afford to have a lot of these laying around so if it does crap out on you you haveplenty of spares. they've actually gotten pretty good at making the angle grinders, i had a problem with one of my imports so far, a big 9" but it just required brush maintainance. no problems with the 4 1/2" units yet. i have one good 4 1/2 grinder, milwakee i think, but i'd rather use the import crap, my hand cramps up holding the paddle switch on the good one. if you are leaning on a grinder hard enough to burn up the motor, you're leaning on it too hard, period.

air sanders for bodywork, buy good ones. HF die grinders are good enough, but their sanders always seem to suck.

if you're looking at Sears for a bench grinder angle grinder, drill press or similar electric tool, save your money and buy the Harbor Freight equivelant, it will probably be better, and certainly cheaper for the same country of orgin.

i never buy HF abrasives or blades, always buy name brands of consumables. i won't buy welding wire there either.

their drill press is okay, but not very good, keep your eyes open for an old quality drill press, they pop up all the time if you're paying attention.

i have a bunch of their jackstands, they seem good. haven't used a HF jack though.

11. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

I love harbour freight, always spend at least 100.00 when I go to look around. Heres the deal though. When you buy a tool, look for the more expensive one, then find the HF brand that looks just like it. Its the same tool, just a different sticker. Got burned on a hose reel that didnt work real well, but thats it. Even bought a 1 in impact socket set and used it in the shop (Cat) and they never broke...

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Its funny this thread came up as I need a cherry picker and they got a good sale going on right now. Im going hopefully this weekend and get the 199.00 2 ton fold up jobby but its on sale for 149.00 and ive got a 15 per cent off any 1 item coupon. I need the picker mainly to help me remove the body on my new 32 roadster project. I got some frame work to do and ive got a small garage so untill i decide to store the body outside i need to move it easily. And im sure ill use it to drop the engine in later.
    Dave

13. tdoty

tdoty

Just remember that a Chinese horse is about the size of a German Shepherd. They tend to WAY over rate the horsepower of their motors.

I'm guilty of buying Harbor Freight stuff too. Most of it had worked out ok, just have to shop carefully. Hey, I've bought some expensive stuff that turned out to be total crap too. I'd rather be out $9 to HF than $39 to Matco :mad:

Tim D.

14. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Forgot to add that a few years ago i was building a 30 A on a budget cause i was broke! I went to a tool sale and bought a chineese da sander and some body hammers and dollies. I hammered out a dent in the body and added some filler and i was sanding it and i stopped for a moment and kinded gased the da and the pad flew off and added a fucking dent right next to the one i was sanding! The a few days later the body hammer I was using.............. Well you should have figured that one out already :(
    Dave

15. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

The scariest part of this tread is when you realize that the Chinese get the tools to build nuclear missles, power plants, and hydro electric dams at Harbour Freight too!!!!!!:eek: :D Humans as a species are doomed! -stick

16. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Once I get over the sticker shock of buying a quality tool, I am always pleased when 2 - 5 - 10 - 20 .! years later, it's here - working & ready to do the job.

But when I have purchaced Chepo China Repo shit - within hours of using it the first time - seeing it fail & knowing I fucked up buyin it - I away's regret it.

Two years ago I was helping a buddy drop a motor the hot rod he was working on. His fresh mill was hanging from a ( china crane ) I helped him move the mll into position - he hit the hydro valve to start to lower it.....it stopped after about an inch, chattered about a half inch - then let that bran new mill free fall to the crossmeber......nice.

Buy Good Stuff.

17. trey

trey

I have a few things from them, with good results. bead roller, throatless shear, metal band saw, mill drill lathe combo. Have had good results with all. Other things like little pick tools, magnetic parts holders, no problems with those. You just have to be careful of what you buy.

18. Odd, I just walked in the door from the Houston HF. I was looking at their Mills (enough other threads on that). I can't pass up cheap tap and die and drill bits. There's no sence in sharpening bits when they are that cheap.

You can't buy tap and die sets everywhere, I was bumed that I couldn't find them at Northern Tool and Home Depot.

I think its all about your expectations, I don't go around planning on passing on their power tools to my kids.

19. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

The magnitude of offshore sourcing and the range of Brand-name companies doing it is so great that it is hard to fathom. Our off- brand power tools are likely made at the same factories as the ones with American brand names.

Surely our shoes and clothes are.

The damn driveshaft on my Burb is from Shanghai. The springs are from Mexico.

I was told by a Chinese factory manager that it takes government oversight and special permits to operate a 4-axis machine. Because a 4 axis machine can make guns and the commies need to control it.

20. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

That's the one I have. It does a fine job. The only thing it needs is a bungie-cord looped around the legs when they are up. The first time you knock a leg over and it hits the floor, you will jump about 4 feet even if you're crippled. Not to mention if it hits something else.

21. brandon

brandon

man , i thought it was me....a guy dropped one of those small combo units off at the shop ....said he bought a 8 foot deal.....i broke the deck of the shear in half cutting a piece of race car aluminum ......now all i use it for is to bend some small stuff......if i can keep the fingers from moving .....brandon

22. I bought 2 of the red roll around carts from them - but - I used my own new nuts, bolts & fender washers on them. This was a couple of years back & they are holding up just fine. I also bought a air gun and heavy black sockets & they have held up. They also have air fittings at a fair price. :D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

23. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

The only thing I really buy there is wheels & brush cups for my grinders & i have a few Ball peen hammers & a 2lb sledge that have held up fine for a few years so far. I have some of there air fittings, but have sheared a few off trying to unscrew them also.

24. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

The following short lesson in Chinese might be helpful to those having frequent dealings with them or their products.

English: Chinese

That’s not right.: Sum Ting Wong.

Are you harboring a fugitive?: Hu Yu Hai Ding?

See me ASAP!: Cum Hia Nio!

Stupid man!: Dum Fuk!

Small horse: Tai Ni Po Ni

Did you go to the beach?: Wai Yu So Tan?

I bumped into a coffee table.: Ai Bang Mai Fa Kin Ni.

I think you need a facelift.: Chin Tu Fat.

It’s very dark in here.: Wai So Dim?

I thought you were on a diet?: Wai Yu Mun Ching?

This is a tow away zone.: No Pah King.

Your appointment is next week. Wai Yu Kum Nao?

Staying out of sight.: Lei Ying Lo

He’s cleaning his automobile.: Wa Shing Ka.

Your body odor is offensive.: Yu Stin Ki Pu.

Great!: Fa Kin Su Pah!

25. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

are any tools made in America??? really? The snap on dealer said all the wrenches are made overseas, they are just chromed a second time or something like that so they can be called made in U.S. Waterloo makes the snap on boxes as well..maybe they are U.S.? Hell its common sense when you buy this junk. I bought a tap and die set for 4.99 at HF and expected to use it once ....at that price 5 buck to get me out of a jamb would be worth it...but I have actually used them for 5 yrs now (of course the holders busted after 3 uses...but hell 4.99 expected nothing less). If the wrenches at home depost (polished/tapered) arent made at the same place as snap on, I would be shocked..they are exactly the same quality

26. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Do you reckon the space shuttle is made in China?
    That keeps falling apart too.
    Harley Davidson natural casings are so porous, like the fuel tanks you have to seal them.
    You still have to pick and choose no matter where it's from.
    I'm just glad I'm not an astronaut.

27. erock805

erock805

damn, i got my hoist from a parts store, cause it was closer than harbor frieght...

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its pretty simple actually... "You get what you pay for"
    Are there exceptions? " yeah, a few."

29. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well I went to H/F today and got the hoist and a couple small items and after the sale the 15% coupon and my cash im 137.00 and some change happy. Got home and took me maybe 29 minutes to assemble the hoist and I actually picked up the front of the new 32 roadster with it. Gotta try sumpin.
    Im sure that no more than im gonna do it will be just fine.
    Dave
    Ps: I was in the store Ypsilanti Michigan and they had an armed robbery next door while the wife and i were there:eek: Cool............

30. Gumpa

Gumpa

My wife was the first to notice so any of you that still have the instruction manual for your HF Bead Roller go look at what it says on the cover. I Quote "Bead Roller KIT" I guess you can understand why we all have to reinforce them. I just finished reinforceing mine today and got it into the Dodge House. I buy from HF at least once a month. I stop to use their bathroom on the way home when ever I go to the VA Hospital and do my dream and wish walk through. I always come away with something. I just got a flyer in the mail that says it is the last of my subscription unless I use the 20% off coupon on the back before October 16. Okay I can do that. I need a couple things anyway. I don't like their 4 inch flap discs they don't wear down right so I feel they are a real waste of money. Their abrasive 4 inch grinder wheels last longer than the Ryobe I bought and I have to compare them with the Dewalt wheels I bought at Home Depot for quality. I am looking to buy the 15 watt 7 inch grinder that they have on sale right now. Gumpa