Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Olds No One Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Jun 6, 2023.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

you guys may remember the 37 Olds i had for sale, down in the basement surrounded by tons of car parts, blocked in by years of accumulated stuff, not sitting & rotting, just sitting. well, yesterday it saw daylight for the first time in many years. I decided if i couldn't sell it, i might as well give it away. and I found some willing people ready to accept this project. the Parkway West Career & Technology Center, a local vocational school with mechanics & bodywork training courses. what I thought was going to be a 3-4 day endeavor turned out to be 3-1/2 Hrs of hard work. the kids & instructors that volunteered to get it did a great job. it's on its way to a complete restoration and will provide a few years of training and then go on to showcase the talent of all who will participate.
    yes, all the missing pieces were there, and had already been picked up. 37olds15.JPG olds7.jpg olds8.jpg olds6.jpg olds5.jpg olds3.jpg olds1.jpg

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

I can't imagine how happy some of those kids are to have a great project like this! Good on you for doing such a thing! Acts like this will come back to you tenfold!

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. One of the most rewarding aspects of this hobby is the involvement of young people. Glad to see this, where else would they find such a car? Good vibes.
    Cool building as weĺl.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  5. Kudos to you, that is the best use of a 4 door trunk back that I can think of.

6. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

7. And to think I finally saved enough money to buy it!! Damnit! :p

8. BJR

BJR

What a nice gesture. Now that's helping to keep the old car movement going. Helping todays youth learn about and hopefully love old cars. :)

9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice work and great to see stories like this.
    My old high school got rid of all the shop stuff in favor of making a “STEAM lab”. Looked to me to be not much more than 3d printers and some other computer based tools.
    Pretty sad.

10. That is too cool! Those kids that get to work on it will remember the experience forever. Even just digging it out has likely started memories for those kids as well as the instructors about the “garage find” that you donated. :cool: Just made my morning sir. :D

11. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Yinz done right by finding it a good home. :D I would be stoked to come into class and learn by working on a '37 Olds.

12. Soo cool good on ya !!

the great thing about it is these kids will learn a ton of knowledge that’s being lost to technology.

sooooooo cool , hope we can get updates on their progress somehow .

13. Flim Flam Man

Flim Flam Man
    from Oklahoma

Going to miss all your hilarious bump posts in the for sale ad:D

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very cool of you! Hopefully other young kids will see the car in stages or completed and enter the vocation.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Good for them, good for you - not like you needed some motivation to start clean out of storage

chevy57dude and alanp561 like this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, how very well done!

17. It should be mandatory that the students watch A Christmas Story, which features a 37 Oldsmobile four-door. Take notes, kids, and watch that you don't spill the lugnuts.

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We made a destruction derby car out of one just like it in 1963. It was given to a friend of mine, by his Grandpa.

alanp561 and chevy57dude like this.
  19. Good on ya. A lot of young minds will be corrupted working on it.

Was it a 6 or an 8? My dad had a 37 coupe with a 6. If I remember right the front sheet metal was different between the 6s and 8s.

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a great thing to do Mike...BUT, how ya gonna explain it to Bob? Heard he had some fresh road kill hides, and some expired cans of Tuna to trade.

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Bob is pissed but i'm gonna make him a deal on being a 25% partner in my new 2 star restaurant. so far 7 guys have bought in for equal 25%s. if i can keep this up, i may never have to get a job.

22. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

An old girl gets a new life, helping the young ones to learn. Best possible outcome!

chevy57dude and alanp561 like this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Love this! My youngest Grandson is taking auto tech next year.

chevy57dude and anthony myrick like this.
  24. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice!

chevy57dude likes this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YESSS!!!! My main man. You are truly an inspiration to all of us who aspire to economic freedom ;).

guthriesmith and chevy57dude like this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't tell me you got another one of Bob's gold painted bricks.