Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Finally starting on the wife’s 56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Are you going to make the floor piece? Damn, buying panels for these cars has become expensive! There's a lot of metal work there, cowl rust would keep me from buying a Tri 5. Please keep it a 210! Looks like you have all the trim. All that Bel Air stuff around the windows is a pain.

anthony myrick likes this.
  2. Yep. Making the floor pieces.
    The cowl is simple on these cars.
    Easier than the dog leg.

3. Cave man fab work
    Pattern
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    Transfer details with a punch
    IMG_1967.jpeg
    Scribble on some sheet metal
    IMG_1968.jpeg
    roll some beads. Not exactly as OE but ok for a HF roller. Crude but ok for this project
    IMG_1969.jpeg
    Then figure out the flange
    IMG_1970.jpeg
    Use this info to bend in a brake. The last bend was the furtherest in. Flipped upside down and squashed to make the soft roll.
    the end of the flange area needed flattened out to match the original. Hammer time
    IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg
    Then start pounding out the detail
    IMG_1976.jpeg IMG_1978.jpeg IMG_1982.jpeg IMG_1984.jpeg IMG_1985.jpeg IMG_1987.jpeg IMG_1988.jpeg IMG_1989.jpeg IMG_1992.jpeg
    Roughed in floor. Needs some more banging but will work for this beater
    The cowl edge shaped with a shrinker/stretcher. Need to finishing trimming off the old flange at the cowl. Prep the front crossmember for welding and hammer and dolly the weld area along the splice lines.
    IMG_1993.jpeg

4. More caveman fab
    Inner dog leg pattern
    IMG_2005.jpeg IMG_2006.jpeg
    first piece
    IMG_2009.jpeg

second piece
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    flange it with pliers
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    do some shrinking and stretching
    Trim and tack
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    test fit
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    close. I’ll make the other inner piece next.
    Tack it all together but won’t weld until the doors are fit

5. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Looks good Anthony.

Day 2 and anthony myrick like this.
  6. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looking very professional

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. Anthony, you metal wizards amaze me! Very nice work!

Tow Truck Tom and anthony myrick like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wish I was over 50 years younger so I could be a student in your shop class. The skills you have and are passing on to your students is amazing. Thanks for the photos on this and your other projects as well.

9. Well, I’m trying to post the how to as best I can.
    I’m using very low buck tools.
    Trying to show folks you can do good work with minimal investment.
    It’s breaking a part down to manageable steps. I shop with a Pullmax (stamping machine) could build that inner dog leg in one piece.
    But with a hammer, some shears and a cheapo HF shrinker/stretcher, we made a usable piece.

10. Got another inner dog leg piece tacked
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    the other dog leg piece is ready to final fit and weld. I’ll trim the top even and butt weld
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    Got a decent rocker gap for a quick fit check.
    IMG_2031.jpeg

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

just read the whole thread and all I can say is, "Thanks, Teach!". I"m a visual learner so I'm learning!!!!!

12. IMG_2042.jpeg These rides got some goofy gaps.

13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They're definately NOT precision. Just gotta go with the best overall you can get.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  14. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Ya ain't a party pooper, but you poop parts pretty well

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just read the whole thread. I will be going back and remaking some of the pieces on my Sedan Delivery project. I made a "road map" of the drivers side floor panel almost exactly like you did. I'm glad to see I did it the way the guy that hits cars with hammers does it. When I get done with my car, I hope that guy will say "I'd drive that!"

Amazing work on all of it. Go man go! Keep learning the rest of us out here struggling. You make it look easy!

16. More caveman fab.
    The bottom portion of the cowl drain area.
    Make a pattern. Wrinkles indicate shrinking. The wife got involved using the torch (my heating tips are at school so we had to use the cutting torch)
    IMG_2064.jpeg IMG_2065.jpeg IMG_2068.jpeg IMG_2074.jpeg
    IMG_2078.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2076.jpeg IMG_2079.jpeg
    there it is in its raw shaped glory.
    Hammers, ball peen in a vice, panel bag, acetylene bottle cap welded to a bench and heat.
    My hands are tired
    I’ll dress it up in the morning

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  17. Wife took a couple live action shots
    IMG_8733.jpeg
    My planishing set up in action
    IMG_8736.jpeg

18. Bottom A post bout worked out
    IMG_2125.jpeg

19. Time for a shower and bed
    Breakfast and shopping with the wife, loaded up a flatbed full of scrap, cut up some auto art for a friend (tailgate/bed section bar material) banged and welded on the 56, assisted my son with his 51 Willys project (more welding), worked on the tractor, cut grass, ate a steak, local cruise in, then more work on the 56
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    And a milkshake

20. Thinking about dialing in the stance after the rockers. Do that before I remove the chassis for blasting.
    Looking for recommendations on power steering, spindles, springs…….
    I’ll do the added caster upper shafts
    She digs how this one sits
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    probably use OE steel wheels and poverty caps.

21. This guy said he used 2 inch spindles, 1 inch coils and 2 inch rear blocks
    IMG_2136.jpeg

22. My short stint into the tri five world showed me that power steering wise, the Borgeson box was about your only choice if you wanted reliability as far as power steering fluid leaks. Mine had the dreaded 605 conversion about 2/3rd done, and after learning here that it was a bad move, I went back to a stock manual box.

I forgot to say that in the dirty south, borgeson power steering box translates to "too much bucks!" Lol

23. If I was the primary driver, I’d keep the stock box. The wife’s wants PS.
    I’ve heard about those boxes leaking.
    There is a 600 and a 500 box out there.

24. I get it brother lol, buy a bigger steering wheel and put the bearings in the idler arm :D

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I put a box for a 88 Cutlass in my Lincoln, think it’s a 600 ? Can steer it with one finger. Just don’t get a close ratio box, the turning radius will be about like a football field.
    My box fits about all the G bodies as far as I know. I bought a new one made by Lares off of RockAuto.

Tow Truck Tom and anthony myrick like this.
  26. One more piece. Floor next to the dog leg. Tack welded.
    Left the section of floor that’s getting removed that transitions flat to align this new piece.
    IMG_2161.jpeg IMG_2159.jpeg

inner rocker welded, A post whooped.
    Outer rocker and doors fit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  27. I'm picking up little stuff just looking at your pics. Such as the magnets holding your paper pattern on the piece with compound curves.
    You must work at a fast pace to fab so many pieces this quickly.
    Like warp factor 7.