Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8” ford 4 bolt axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jun 2, 2023.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Did some research but didn’t find much. Is an 8” out of a six cylinder maverick the same other than the four bolt axle as a v8 five bolt? My pops is wanting to find an 8” for his forty sedan. I know of a 4 bolt maverick rear end that would probably be almost free.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is room to redrill the axles to 5 lug if you can find someone who doesn't mind fooling with that sort of thing.

-Abone.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Back when I was out searching for 8" rears out of Mavericks it didn't look like the 6 cylinder cars had an 8" but some other puny rear end.

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Didn't early HiPo Mustangs have an 8 inch dropout and 5 lug wheels.....

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Pinto bobcat mustang II maverick Fairmont Fairlane ,zepher cougar Granada monarch & probably more use the same center section & axles , axle tubes on some of the compacts were smaller part of their length .

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you've got a 4 bolt wheel pattern on that rear end, it's probably a 7.5" and best left to Falcons and Mavericks. I've been looking for an 8" for quite a while and they are getting hard to find.

Don't know if this will help but look at the 8.8's that are shown on this site? Lot of good information here. I can buy a good 8.8 in my area around $275 - $300. https://www.therangerstation.com/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Later Mustang 2s plenty of them had 4 lug 8 in rears , swap axles for 5 lug and never look back

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, @deathrowdave . I learn something new every day around here.
    http://www.mustangii.org/ has a full page of info with rear ends listed by year, ring gear size, ratios and axle codes.

anothercarguy likes this.
  9. I recall something different about the housings on the M11? Think the tubes necked down heading towards the bearing ends??
    The center section will swap into the other 8" housings, as I did that for my current coupe, 30 years ago!

alanp561 likes this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have to laugh at these " what came in what" discussions . In the late 70's my brother bought a 1/2 ton ford pickup , 351/c4/9" rear , my cousin bought a 1/2 ton ford van , 300" 6 /c6/ 8" POSI rear. Many times carmakers were just using up parts !

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

By the time you find axles to fit the free 8", or get the axles drilled for a 5 bolt pattern, you'll save money just grabbing an 8.8" Ford axle from the wrecking yard, and have the 5 bolt pattern, stronger axle, and likely the posi and perfect gear ratio he'll want. Building up the free 8" wont be worth the time and money.

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If it uses the small bearing, 28 spline axles you should be able to get a set of cut to length axles, they’re pretty reasonably priced. Then you’ll need to get drums.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mavericks did indeed use the 4 lug 8" behind the 170 and 200 sixes, the 250 six and 302 used a 5 lug 8". Centers are interchangeable, but the 4 lug axle tubes narrow down at the ends and have smaller bearings so a 5 lug axle will not fit unless you cut off the 4 lug ends and weld on the 5 lug ends. The 4 lugs also have smaller brakes. The smaller brakes would discourage it for me. Mustang II and Pinto 8" also have the necked down tubes and smaller brakes, plus are narrower. So, unless you want to re tube the 4 lug rear and add the bigger backing plates and brakes, I'd stick to the five lug rears.

One thing to watch for if changing 8" center sections, early 8" filled through the back of the housing, later ones had the fill in the side of the center section. All will interchange, but you can end up with two fill points or nowhere to fill it!

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, did the "no fill" scenario once.

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

Charts I've seen show the Maverick 8" as a couple of fractions narrower than the Pinto/MII rears. Also the Maverick and earlier Mustangs, etc. are 4 X 4 1/2" bolt circle while the Pinto and MII are 4 X 4 1/4".

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know where there are hundreds of 8.8's, in 4-6 different ratios, most with limited-slip differentials, two different diameters of drums, and even disc brakes, in several different widths, all of which can be OEM axle shaft swapped and narrowed.

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

....but the 8" rears look better.

X-cpe, BamaMav and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Here's a crappy picture of a '64 Fairlane 8 inch and a four lug 8 inch I was told was from a Mustang II:

upload_2023-6-3_22-5-8.png

Sorry for the poor picture, but they are behind twenty years' worth of junk in the cellar. It's hard to see, but the MII (foreground) necks down to about 2.38", the un-necked down part and the Fairlane tube is about 2.82" diameter.
    Backing plate to backing plate dimension is about the same, but the axle protrudes an inch or so more on the Fairlane unit.
    According to the above linked MII site, the 8" was available in a 2.40 ratio in 1975-76!

Oh, the glimpse of the floor I got shows me that draining the oil would have been a good idea...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Budget36 likes this.
  19. Maverick rear 56.5" WMS to WMS all years. The register was 2-3/8" til 1973, 2-3/4" after that. Got a couple stashed.

20. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Funny story about the 4 bolt Falcon rear ends…… I had a ‘66 I took the 6 cylinder out and put a built small block that I sprayed the house down on it and never had an issue. I found an 8” out of a ‘67 Mustang and when I was at the drag strip after rebuilding and installing it I crawled the ring and pinion and destroyed a perfectly good floor pan and fuel cell. After that I built a 9” and never had an issue

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It's a '40 Sedan. Likely have to lay on the ground to even see the rear axle.

22. nobby

nobby

i think they have 9 inch diameter brake drums that take a 1.80 inch wide shoe.
    the trouble is with a 56.5'' wide axle in a 35-40 frame is......
    IF you plan on running a 7j wheel
    with a 4'' back splash
    you times 4'' by 2 and add them
    =8
    then you minus that from 56.5
    and you get about 48.5 inches
    then you measure the frame width at the rear and its 48 inches
    so you have a mere 1/8th of clearance clarence = not enough
    PLUS what you then need to take into consideration is the fender width is wider on a 38 39 40 than a 35 36 37
    so you may not even be getting to the fender lip.
    or it will look daft IF you then run a 6j that is 7 inches across
    with a zero et its a 3.5'' back splash and you still really only get 1/2'' plus 1/8 20mm, you put a 20 mm bulge of tyre on and you are rubbing.
    you can get the 4 stsud steelies for them though, and run an oem cap
    i would double check its not a 1964 6 cylinder mustang 4 stud axle = 57.25'' wide
    you can tell an early one as they do not have the verticval ribs on the centre section
    if its a 73-78 mustang 2 axle they do have the vertical ribs
    if its a straight over tubes 8'' axle the tubes are 2 3/4'' it will be 5 stud.
    plus
    the 4 stud mustang 2 do run that finned drum
    notet the back plate is specific to the smaller 9'' drum
    and the bearing housing is too, although it uses the same small bearing, the bolt pattern to affix the back plate is different

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023