Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ^Wheel center cap on the snout^:cool:.

2. Imitation snout lol

20220922_165412.jpg

Cut up a different version for my gas cap

20230413_163633.jpg

Just Gary, brEad, R A Wrench and 8 others like this.
  3. Having a blower in your ass also helps the bathroom breaks go faster!:p:D

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You ain't right:D

5. Here I sit taking a $hit thinking of an easy way to make things move
    A huffer a puffer an iron lung, air in air out, a blower on my ass surely could get me in the groove
    A log jam from a can of spam ....

6. Wouldn't a turbocharger be more appropriate?

vtx1800, alanp561 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  7. atch

atch

Here's a little tidbit I came up with today. I needed to replace the battery. This happens to be a H-D Ultra Classic motorcycle, but the idea works for any vehicle, including hot rods and customs. If you look closely you'll see that the battery "compartment" is only marginally larger than the actual battery. I had a devil of a time getting that thing up an inch or so to remove the cables. I could only grasp it by my fingertips to lift. So when I put it back in I cut a portion of some strap (similar to ratchet strap but wider) as can be seen in the 1st photo. I then laid it down into the cavity as shown in the 2nd and 3rd photos and put the battery back in. I left enough extra to be able to get ahold of when I next need to remove the battery. The 3rd photo shows how I just laid the extra over the battery before reinstalling the seat. Next time won't be nearly so hard to remove the battery. So if you've got a custom or hot rod with a battery cavity just barely larger than the battery here's a way to make the next removal much easier. And the cost is free if you have an old ratchet strap laying around. Sorry about the blurry 2nd pic.

upload_2023-6-8_22-27-45.jpeg

upload_2023-6-8_22-28-3.jpeg

upload_2023-6-8_22-28-18.jpeg

8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Planning ahead? Is that really fair? I don't think it is "traditional" or "period correct". :eek:

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-7-16_3-57-59.png

Hello,

Wow, what a nice build. My wife would probably like that sitting in the garage to be used for something. It looks like the right height for a circular roll around. It would add to our daily drivers to clean off the lower portions of the body and/or spiffy up the wheels/tires. No leaning and straining the lower back. It is a good thing the 671 build is on wheels. If the wheel locks work well, it might be a good short term stool for reaching high up in the taller cabinets. YRMV
    upload_2023-7-16_3-59-58.png similar photo
    Our 671 supercharger for our 1940 Willys build was heavy when we bought it off of a diesel shop display. But, we were strong teenagers. I carried it out to our Impala and was able to put it in the lift over trunk area. We drove it to Reath Automotive and they did the tear down/repair/racing specs for our build. My brother carried it to the counter from the Impala.
    upload_2023-7-16_4-1-7.png

Jnaki

Yours is such a nice build and a good, useful, sit down item for working out in the garage. If the rotors are out, it would be lighter, but still would have a good rigid seat area and strength... Great job.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...arage-hobbyists.1159355/page-57#post-14880317

upload_2023-7-16_4-4-18.png
    The 47 years old step stool is sitting next to the next highest/oldest 50 year old simple wooden chair from our first kitchen. Now it is used as a top shelf level platform in the garage. It is also used outdoors in the garden, cutting trees, digging in new plants, offering support during painting/planting, all while sitting for a good grip and angle of work.

Just the last two days of cloudy weather, my wife and I use those two old guys to help us remove and replant several areas of our front yard. It is a never ending process and it gives us time to think as we work. Plus, our backs thank us after we are finished and resting with a cold water drink. The 2x4 step stool is rigid and does not move. it is the perfect height to do wheel cleaning and anything at that level. It also allows me to reach up into the taller portions of the new garage cabinets for height without worry of falling off if it moves, which it never does...

The two old guys sit quietly in the garage, until called upon to do some more work. They are and have been back savers and elevation increase support when we need it. When our granddaughter was staying with us during the toddler years, the wooden step helped her reach the sink for her daily necessities. It also provided a flat plateau area, covered with a towel, to act as a flat area for her little dolls to stand up to do their own thing on a normal bumpy tile/carpet floor surface…YRMV

10. impala4speed

impala4speed

Boneyard51 and seb fontana like this.
  11. Yes totally gutted, someone was building a fake blower over a carburetor deal I think, the whole thing still has some heft to it but certainly not as much as the real thing.

FB_IMG_1663889616863.jpg

LOST ANGEL and jnaki like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

:D:D:D:D:D

13. Another low buck/no buck thing I do. Just about any small item you buy comes in a bubble style package. I save bubbles with a flat side for mixing small amounts of filler or epoxy. Disposable and easily replaced. 20230716_170842.jpg

Cosmo49, Paul B, LAROKE and 11 others like this.
  14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

^^^^^^If you know of a car lot that has gone broke or changed hands, the plastic license plates with the dealer's name make excellent mixing boards, too.

Gary

54delray, Six Ball, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  15. XXL__

XXL__

And save used up gift cards/ expired credit cards to use as your mixer and spreader.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Six Ball and chevy57dude like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When assembling powder coated parts, and the bolt holes need more clearance, I cut some notches in the end of a bolt to serve as a reamer. IMG_8503.JPG IMG_8506.JPG

LowKat, i.rant, RMcCulley and 17 others like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonder if that would work on chrome?

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Don't know, can't afford it anyway !

brEad, fauj, alanp561 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You guys need to be careful. I saved so much cool & helpful stuff I have to work out in the dirt. But I do it with a lot of handy gadgets!:rolleyes:

LowKat and drdave like this.
  21. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Hotel key cards work too!

alanp561 likes this.
  22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

If you don't have thread chasers, that'll work!

alanp561 likes this.
  23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I built a recessed gauge panel for my 38' dash and once I got it done, bondo worked and primed I couldn't find a way to sand the inside corner due to its small size.

After racking my limited brain power for 2 days looking at it I figured out a really easy way to do it.

I went out to Walmart and bought one of those bigger rectangular sketching erasers. I took a piece of 220 grit sand paper and sanded/rolled one long corner of the eraser to match the inside corner of my panel, then I did the same on one of the small end corners.

It worked excellent and it's flexible. Made the perfect small sanding block, just wrapped the 400 grit sand paper around it. I used the long side for the long edges of the panel and the end corner of the eraser to sand the corners on the tight radius ends.

20230806_145227.jpg 20230806_145348.jpg

LAROKE, 54delray, LWEL9226 and 12 others like this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

^^^^ I've been using erasers for mini-sanding blocks for several years. I use the pink ones with angled ends and shape them as needed. PSA sandpaper sticks to them well.

Gary

jwilson645, vtx1800, 54delray and 7 others like this.
  25. I don't know if this has been posted before, but I was reminded how it comes in handy at times:
    Whenever I am adopting parts from another vehicle to one of mine, I take letter punches and punch in what the part came off of or its actual part number. That way if I forget or sell the car, the next guy will know what a replacement will be from. For example, I marked my brake rotors on the edge as Dodge and the year. This can save a lot of research later.

LowKat, vtx1800, 54delray and 11 others like this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When we were building my son's '54 Studebaker and I knew it was going to be over 1,000 miles away while he was in college I made a folder listing parts & numbers. It included parts that came from other makes and cross reference numbers because in 2000 Studebakers were dropping out of the parts books even though a lot of parts were still on the shelf. I was a parts counterman at the time. The car is now in my yard and I have no idea where the folder is.

scotty t and AGELE55 like this.
  27. AGELE55

AGELE55

I keep a "little black book" with all the non OEM parts listed. It stays in the house, not the car, in a secure location, with armed guards, and barbed wire.:rolleyes:. I'll still probably figure out how to lose it...

alanp561, Six Ball, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  28. That is why I stamp the parts, paperwork can always be misplaced.

Six Ball likes this.
  29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'd buy one of those newer small external hard drives and scan all the documents and save them. Then unplug it and put it in a drawer next to the computer with a silver sharpie naming it. Then when you get other info on the Hamb or anywhere, you can also save those references.
    Makes it easy to plug in when you want to look something up or send info to someone else. Put a note in your will that it is to be buried with you............;)

Six Ball likes this.