Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jun 1, 2023.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Ya know, jet skis and some boats have a knob you can turn when you run out that does the same thing, so you can always get home. I always wondered why cars don't...

-Brent- likes this.
  2. egads

egads

We think alike:):) in my 57 Bird. 100.jpg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. Rand Man

Rand Man

I have run out of gas, one too many times to be without a fuel gauge. Of course I’m an idiot. I’m working on a new, larger tank with a gauge.

4. Wow, I didn't realise this was a serious question.:eek:

clem and 19Eddy30 like this.
  5. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My stock Model A gas gauge is as close to bullet proof as it gets. That is until the replacement cork float soaks up too much gas and sinks. Then its a simple fix to get it working again.

'29 Gizmo and -Brent- like this.
  6. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

On my A-v8 I use a stick. No provision for a sender on the 11 gallon tank I mounted on the back. Works well. I never drive it that far anyway.

onetrickpony and -Brent- like this.
  7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

And you didn't notice his contents in the trash!!!
    Instead of measuring gauge /sender resistance he could measure insulin resistance :D

Tri-5 Chevy's and most early fuel gauges are dead easy to repair. I've even re-soldered the coils in them.
    There is one peril of time with these old gauges ............ that is somebody in the past who is clueless dicking with them

Here was a trap I encountered, the gauge "sort-of" worked.
    It was connected "back to front" and when I remedied this..... it stopped working at all.

When I looked again the Temp Gauge had 1/4 increments and the Fuel Gauge had continuous sweep
    This is how I got the car [ note the aftermarket mechanical Temp gauge in the lower R/H corner]
    upload_2023-6-2_12-20-48.png

All I did was swap the Temp and Fuel gauges over to the correct side [L to R, and R to L ]and connect them properly.
    I had a spare rusty tank laying around, so I mounted the sender in this with jumper wires to the harness , then flipped the tank upside down [to simulate full tank on the float] and back.
    I needed to make a few adjustments [bends] in the float arm, so it reads empty with 1-1/2 gallons reserve.

chevy57dude, -Brent- and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. Yes, Brent the coupe has one and it is pretty damn accurate. SW, and I do run a fuel cell, because - drag race.

210superair, chevy57dude and -Brent- like this.
  9. dave plmley

dave plmley

my model A has a gauge, but is not accurate so I have a wood dowel that is very accurate

-Brent- likes this.
  10. With everything out there now there's no reason not to have a gauge of some sort, either a nice old gauge, a stock gauge or aftermarket. You can even rig a light to tell you a level (led changing colors with the level) or just put a floater type gauge on the tank, but you have to look at it in the trunk.
    [​IMG]

11. tim troutman

tim troutman

all my cars have a fuel gauge that works right . I try to drive my cars a lot they are super handy to have

12. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

A stick for the gas tank and the tachometer for the speedo. If I were building a hot rod I would not have a speedo or fuel gauge............

Driver50x and -Brent- like this.
  13. That's so badass.

14. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Build picture 4.jpg Yep got all the gauges

15. gene-koning

gene-koning

I drive my stuff a lot, so a functioning fuel gauge is a must for me. The truck even has a low fuel warning light (when it comes on, you better be pulling into a gas station).
    I also record the miles every time it gets filled on a trip odometer (or on paper). I also spend time to determine an achievable driving distance (the coupe will go 250 miles on a tank of gas, it may go farther, but it will go at least 250 miles).
    The truck has proven to be somewhat of a gas hog at times, but other times it does quite well. 150 miles is really pushing it sometimes, but 140 miles has not caused a problem yet, so that is its safe number.

MMM1693 and -Brent- like this.
  16. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I’ll be honest with you when I was driving my ‘51 Ford as a daily driver the fuel sending unit went out. Now I worked at NAPA putting in 100+ hour weeks in management and never had time to put one in much less buy one and heck I worked at the place an had several on the parts shelf. All I did was go out and take the gas cap off and shake the crap out of the thing and listened for the sloshing. If it didn’t sound right I’d fill it up. I drove that car for 4 years before I retired and never ran out of gas.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

X38, see how others are having a normal discussion about without the BS? Try it. Hahaha.

There are PLENTY of examples of hot rods that ran without them. Primarily it was because they ran tanks with no provision (other than a stick).

I've seen homemade sticks, even.

I have chatted with a few guys with cars I know that don't have them. 28-34 Fords and a 50s mostly drag car. The consensus is mixed. One guy lives in rural area and has been known to run out of gas but he said "its part of the adventure" one is in the city (like me) and he treats it like his motorcycle, he tops its off and worries about it here and there.

Another acquaintance said he'd change it but it would require changing more than he'd like to change on his original late-50's build.

I just came here after a text conversation with a notable builder who said he hates the look of senders on round tanks but he'd deal with it on his own driver.

So, there are plenty of folks who love hot rods, as you do, who have no gauges and deal with it.

Be cool.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  18. Having a gauge makes it really easy to know when to stop for gas.

Tman, egads, ekimneirbo and 3 others like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

On several of the Track Roadsters I have built, to get 10 gallons of fuel without filling up the turtle deck, I built a "horseshoe" shaped tank. A gauge and sender would not calibrate it correctly due to the shape. However, with an electric pump and switch valve, you always have 2 gallons in reserve after fill up. We could get an easy 120 miles, before the engine would cough, then flip the toggle switch. You could do the same in any tank with two different pickup tubes and a switch valve. img20201215_0034.jpg

lumpy 63, bchctybob, Tman and 4 others like this.
  20. Lil 32

Lil 32

21. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

How about a low fuel warning light instead. There are simple kits on the market.

Another option is a gauge wired to a an audio style plug that you can plug in to check fuel level from time to time.

I have got a harley and the gauge has never worked. I always fill up on mileage.

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm too absent-minded not to have a fuel gauge. I'll forget whether I put fuel in this morning or only thought about it.

i7083, ekimneirbo, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  23. Actually, I was busy admiring the ''GR'' position on the shift indicator. For a Hydromatic.

24. clem

clem

The sedan I bought never had one.
    Ran out of juice twice in 18 years - once when my teenage son borrowed some , ( easy syphon ) and ‘forgot’ to tell me !
    It’s embarrassing to run out of fuel on the main street of your home town…….
    Second time was on the way home from a deuce run.
    I was enjoying the cruise so much that I completely forgot about checking !
    Fortunately I ran out as I was waiting for the hot rod in front of me - to fill up.
    Yes, I ran out on the forecourt, so only had to push it a car length. - (early fords are quite short so I didn’t have to push it far).

so I am currently swapping tanks around and am installing a sender for gauge while it’s out.
    My advice is - it makes life easier, traditional or not !

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Driver50x likes this.
  25. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2 ! !^^^^^
    NO you do not have to have a gas gauge Nor any other gauge!!
    Think out side of box , there are other options
    IF you chose to know @ A certain level how much fuel you have with a single light as small as 1/8 to what ever size you want , used before "1966"
    Out side of automotive ,
    I think that a Racer or Hot Rodder or Pilot ext
    figured out they were more successful with the more information they had,
    A Racer or Engineer figured out the engine perform better with a Tac Shift instead of a
    Valve Float Shift !!

& I can not figure out why my tire is flat only on one side??

Driver50x likes this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A fuel gauge is a must for me. I don't like guessing and don't like having to measure my fuel.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  27. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I had a foam filled fuel cell and no gauge in one of my old cars. You could not check it with a stick. I always put a filled 1.5 gal gas can in the trunk if I was hitting the road.

bchctybob likes this.
  28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have done this too. I get gas at every 100 miles because its easy round numbers. :)

Driver50x and bchctybob like this.
  29. manyolcars

manyolcars

I got gas gauges from Dennis Carpenter. First one didnt work. sent it back. next one only reads 1/2 tank, max. Looked closely, the way its made, it cant go past 1/2. Took the grinder to it, better but still not right. Dont want to send them any more money for junk. Does anyone else sell gas gauges for 1960 F100?