Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jun 1, 2023.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

How many of you have a fuel gauge? Does it work? If it doesn't work or you don't have a gauge, what's your system to keep you from being stranded?

I'm at the point of my build where I need to figure out a fuel tank and I need to choose if I want a fuel gauge/sender. The tank will be in the trunk of my Model A and it's small enough that I'll be at a station often but I'm at a crossroads of "keeping it simple" or "being smart", haha.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the wisdom of the crowd, especially from early-hot-rod-having guys.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

FOR MY T-BUCKET, I JUST HAD A STICK :)

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

I like the big 5 gallon size stir sticks from home depot

4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I always dip checked my wood boats as well, didn't bother me at all. My Ford does have a fuel gauge tho and it's certainly easier to know when you're out.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Most of my cars don't have a working fuel gauge. I just kind of keep track of what's what in my head and err on the side of caution/fill up or top off sooner than later if I'm going somewhere. That said, the two cars I have that DO have working fuel gauges make me feel like I'm spoiled and if you have the opportunity to "be smart" and add a working gauge, I would do it.

ironandsteele.com​

6. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I like to have a working gauge. Sometimes they quit working, but I usually make a pretty good effort to fix them.

Having a working odometer is the next best thing, but they also quit at times.

A stick, and the discipline to use it every time you head out somewhere, will get the job done.

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

My first '32 had no gauge. I drove it 125,000 miles, ran out of gas twice.
    I just put gas in it every 150 miles!

AHotRod, R A Wrench, Fingers and 9 others like this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

9. I saved myself a lot of problems by buying a complete set of new gauges in a classic, traditional style from Classic Instruments, Inc.
    Though I don't drive very often at night, I'm a stickler on the gauge lighting in particular........ that they are the same and look like they go together. So for me, it was the obvious, happy choice to go the way I did. Going new with all the matching senders and the assurance and warranty that they would work is what I wanted.

DSCN1694 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They all have one but my dune buggy's doesn't work. To access the sender I have to remove the body as there is no hood on this one. Screw that! I keep track of the mileage and carry a plastic "jerry can" with some "emergency juice" in it...and another one with gas in it.

Baumi, 427 sleeper, Driver50x and 3 others like this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I’d use the trip meter on my speedometer if I didn’t have a fuel gauge or it quit working. Once you know your mpg, you can calculate what the range is for a full tank (less a gallon or two as a reserve). As long as you don’t forget to reset the trip meter when you fill up, your range is gallons x mpg.

Driver50x, dana barlow and -Brent- like this.
  12. I suggest yo be smart, Simple is quick and easy but it's almost never quick or easy to go back and make it right.

I wouldn't even consider no fuel gauge.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Is it really that hard??? 1083444C-DC09-4F56-A6B6-F1DEF56224B6.jpeg 5EE7D909-4855-4A93-A142-A14836AA867E.jpeg 9495CE89-7997-4965-95EA-D200B64AE841.jpeg

Cooder2, joel, 2Blue2 and 6 others like this.
  14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

There's no excuse to not have one. Not having one is not a practice of keeping it simple, its a matter of being lazy and not finishing up an aspect of the project that isn't vital to the actual driving of the car. It's not even that expensive. You can literally buy the parts you need on Amazon.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

I get your point. However, my car is a pretty authentic 60s era street/strip car. I have original green line gauges and I could easily put a matching fuel gauge in but I'm actually not opposed to not using a gauge, as well. I think nearly every car that influenced my car didn't have one. A few of those cars still exist and while they might not see the street (or strip) like mine will, I admire the effort it takes to drive without all the creature comforts.

There's not a part on this car that I've purchased from Amazon. I've stuck to keeping the car to 1966 or earlier.

As far as laziness, that's not me. I'm actually giving this some thought. I love building this car to the era and I also see the slippery slope of making choices outside of that. I know convenience is, well, convenient but every other aspect of this car isn't convenient... haha.

Anyway, I do appreciate your commentary as well as all the others. I'm not leaning on way or the other, just yet.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think if you don’t do it now you’re going to be trying to figure out how to do it after the fact.

it’s very hard to keep track of the miles if you’re not actively making a note of the odometer. A run to the store that takes 10 minutes might be 15 in town miles. Forget two or three of those trips and you’re on the side of the road.

Plenty of people run with out one but I run one, it’s not dead on and I’ve still run that thing out a few times. I fuel up before I leave and I have planned gas stops regardless of what the gauge says

da34guy, dana barlow and -Brent- like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have no speedo so no odometer either. But I do have a matching fuel gauge to the other 3.

Fingers, 427 sleeper, egads and 3 others like this.
  18. Yes. If it doesn't have a gauge at all, that's one thing. But non working gauges bug me enough that I have to get them working.

19. ^Look, @Johnny Gee 's gauge can even tell there's only 5/8 of a cup in that coffee mug!

20. I have mostly driven Fords all my life, so I don't know...is a fuel gauge supposed to work??

21. That’s one thing I make sure I have, and that it works.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Use to. An original replacement gauge took care of that reading. Now my cup is alway’s full.

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Same hot rod 28A,with same tank,starting in 1959 ,but have remade a gas stick* :p a few times.
    Tank/keg holds 15 gal, but really only fill to 12 to 13gal. so zero over flow from breather.
    I like it simple, always have. As for gages,oil psi,water temp. I added a tach Sun, later< now broke.
    Now day,s,your cell phone can be a speed-O. Miami high home coming prade.jpg

24. My '63 Ford, if the gauge wasn't working, you would be walking. ;)

25. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Yes, I put an uderdash fuel guage in the 55 years ago. Pulling the camper, it sucks the gas. In this rural area, you have to sorta plan your stops. Especially at night when not as many spots are open.

210superair likes this.
  26. Absolutely. But I like hitting the road in my cars. And it's aggravating to play the guessing game to me. I guess it all depends on how much you plan on driving it distance wise. Peace of mind knowing that i have gas in the tank.

27. Yup mine work

427 sleeper likes this.
  28. jaracer

jaracer

I built this tank to go in the back of my Model A Sport Coupe. It holds about 15 gallon and I did install a fuel sender for my 50 Ford gauge cluster. IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1459.JPG

29. jaracer

jaracer

The two holes in the top to the right are for the tank pickup and the fuel sender.

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

I installed a '71 Duster Speedo in my '40 Ford dash from an old tech week feature on the Hamb. Being cheap, the remaining gauges came out of an '82 Cutlass Supreme which fit good too. Bought a fuel sending unit with the correct resistance from JC Whitney and everything works without spending a lot of money.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.