Register now to get rid of these ads!

LET'S SEE your homemade WELDING TABLES!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

What have you guys built in the way of garage workshop friendly welding tables. Ideally I'd like to see ideas for something that folds up or stores easily. I don't have much space but need something to build stuff on like sub-assemblies up to full frames.

Let's see 'em!

2. CptStickfigure

CptStickfigure
    from Urbana, IL

Popular Mechanics reviewed a mobile welding table a while back that didn't look too hard to make. I've also been keeping an eye out for an old folding table with the idea that you could replace the top and brace it up to make a similar product. Not sure if that expanded mesh would stand up to gas welding though.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Check out the Miller projects page, there's a real nice welding table on there.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/projects/

Here's a couple of pics of the frame of mine... It's got 1/2" plate on the top now, I never took pics of it finished... :(

Attached Files:

4. evilone0528

evilone0528

I dont have any pics of mine,but it is HEAVY!It does not fold or store in any way,but it takes 2 floor jacks to move it,and you can hammer any thing you want on it.It has 1/2 in plat surface on it.

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

doesnt' fold but i'd like to ditch mine (no pics) and build this one...

i have pics of every step of the build.....i found them somwhere on the net.....think i just did a search for DIY or scratch built welding cart/table...

Attached Files:

6. squirrell451

squirrell451
    from Sacramento

Shit, I just use my 61 dodge phoenix. The unfinished 8 inch chop and slam job,(and flat tires) make it stand at belt height... perfect, and if I need to move it around I put air in the tires. Basically, I have a 17 ft long by 5 ft wide welding table.....genius huh?

7. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

This question, along with the frame rail questions, leave me wondering just what is going on over there...

I gots that junky A frame and an extra stick of 2x4. I am just saying, you know...

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh, I have junky stuff. I'm trying not to use it.

9. i'll try to remember to grab a couple of pics tomorrow but what i did was make a 'clamping fixture'...(frame table top)
    60"x40"
    the rails were 3X3X.188 and the cross members are 2x3x.120 on 15" centers.

i only made it 60x40 inches long because the flat part of the bottom of an A frame is only like 47" and the widest part of the frame (the rear crossmember) is only about 43".

i prop it up on heavy saw horses for doing frames and stuff and when i need a welding table i have a piece of 40"x40"x3/16" plate that i throw on top of that.

i need an extra set of hands to set up and breakdown, but it lays up against the wall under the cabinets or in the shed.

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

I like that Idea! Ive been using the round surface of the Earth or my Concrete drive for so long, would be nice to have a table. And I am limited on space too! Neat!

11. crash 51

crash 51
    from FTW,TEXAS

Bump... Show 'em!

12. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I made mine 8' long. It's framed with 2x2 square tubing and i used 3/8 plate steel for the top.

Attached Files:

13. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

I wish I had the room for something like that.

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Mine's a basic angle iron table, made from scrap at about waist height. Approximately 30x52. I am going to replace the top with some 3/8 when I get a chance, and maybe add a shelf to store my clamps and magnets.

Here's a pic of my wife learning to weld on it:

Attached Files:

16. boozoo

boozoo

I have this li'l cart that was hand made in RCA's pilot shop. Not sure what they rolled around on it... had a 3/16" plate steel top, was built out of HEAVY angle iron (roughly 2" x 1/8" thick) and has huge casters on it... and it's tall. I could set a big block on it and it'd be ok.

I'm guessing they rolled PTV's around on it. When they started shutting down their local build shops, I picked it up for around $3. All I needed to do was add some welds to the plate because it rattled so much.

It's not a big table for making large projects or anything, but it's indispensible for "on spot" work where I can roll it right out to wherever I'm working and cut out or weld up brackets and stuff. Some time later on, I was thinking of "skinning it" to put a small supply cabinet underneath the deck. Come to think of it, I ought to add some brakes to the casters and put some mounts on it for the vice and bench grinder.

These days, though, it's mostly just piled up with crappy old parts I was too lazy to install or put away, though. :cool:

17. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I worked for a fabrication shop once ( small time ) and they had a really nice table built out of I-beam with a 1/2" plate on top of it. I think was 4' x 8". Very nice to use.

18. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I've even used it as a frame jig at times too...lol

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Here's mine - sorry for the mess - hey I've been busy lately!

Anyways the things I like the most were the addition of the tubes so I could store welding rod at my fingertips and the built in seat - never have to go looking for a chair because it's always there - you wouldn't believe how handy that is sometimes.

Attached Files:

20. atch

atch

i really like those tubes; might add some to my table. i mostly mig, but those would be really handy when i use the buzz-box.

21. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I picked this up at an estate sale of an old retired brake guy. 36"x25" with a 3/8 " top. The rail and mini-vice, I put on. If it worked for him for 40 years it'll work for me. And at $10 I couldn't make one for less! -stick

[​IMG]

22. rustyjunk

rustyjunk

a chunk of steel on the floor and big magnets are all you need.

23. heavytlc

heavytlc

I built mine with 2x4 3/16wall, and 2x2 3/16wall Sq tube. It has 3/8 plate top. I made the table 10'x40", had my steel shop shear a 4x10 sheet to 40".
    I built the table with 18" tall fixed legs, and added 4 trailer tounge jacks that will raise it up to 36". The jacks have wheels so I can roll the table around(it weights around 800lbs)

My table is a little large, but it works for my needs. If you make one just make sure it is far enough away from any of the doors. Welding tables have a bad habit of being used as a catch-all in my shop. All 3 of my tables have Junk that does not belong on them.

I will add some pics over the weekend.

24. Shit, mine is so ugly I won't show it to ANYONE, BUT IT WORKS.

25. river1

river1

no pics but i use a couple of saw horses and a 5' by 3' piece of 5/8 plate. works great and is just light enough to put away by myself when not needed for a while.

later jim

26. k-member

k-member

Here's mine. It's 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 feet and 4" inches thick, not real portable if you know what I mean. A friend gave me the top and I put some sch,80 legs under it. I think it was from Boeing for CnC work. I really like it and it does not take up too much room. Has about 180 tapped holes in it on 30, 45, 60 and 90 degrees and 4 4" holes in each corner. It takes a cherry picker to move it and the picker talks and looks like a fishing pole when in motion. I need to make an angle iron frame for it because I worry it will fall over and pinch my leg/foot right off.

Attached Files:

27. Don't worry, that NOS tank will hold it up...........................

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude that's an awesome table top.

29. I would definitely secure that monster!

30. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D