Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's pie-in-the-sky to me. What's the use of supposed data at a place you'll ever be?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find the numbers very interesting. When you stated the Ford 6’s hp many years ago I was very impressed. My 311 GMC stock head made 100 less and it went 143 at Bonneville in our street legal 40 Chevrolet. We make more with it now with a few changes but not up to your #’s.
    Joe Fontana told me what the Skinner made on gasoline when it was in the Ferguson liner and your numbers are not far off. He was using a 5 amp mag and Hilborn fuel injection.
    RPM at sea level and Bonneville like true compression at either place are like comparing apples and oranges.
    As many have learned, elevation is a killer especially in August with naturally aspirated gasoline engines. It’s always been “bigger bangs or more of them”.
    I use every tool I can afford to learn and the experience it has shared with me to continue improving over 48 years of land speed attempts…….still learning today and hoping to hit the lottery :(
    Continue with your work and thoughts, many of us watch and wait for your progress.

3. Thanks Jimmy six as we all know the reality of all this is when it hits the salt it's at altitude and the power will be defenitly less. I have to make all the hp and torque I can to start with and yes these numbers are at sea level. I'm thinking I'll probably see a 10 to 15 percent loss of power on the salt maybe more depending on conditions.
    I will be happy if this engine combination makes 500 + hp on the salt.

saltflats, D-Russ and jimmy six like this.
  4. We all know the 4 main crank would not make the high rpm seen in the dyno simulation. I think 7000 is about its limitation even with light crank, rods, Pistons, pins and valve components.

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  5. Ram air can help but, it's the total combination of parts in sink with each other that produce big results.

6. We had a great crew work day today, thank you Dave Russell, Dan Urbanske and Lee Pollard.
    So we got the truck on the alignment tools and found every thing as it should be EXCEPT the Caster had only 2.3 degrees set in it. After working on for most of the morning it now has 10.0 degrees set in it.
    That threw the toe out and so we re-set that to 3/16 toe in. I pretty sure that will solve the problem we had in Arkansas I will still install a steering shock just to help any other issues g oing forward.

7. 2.3 degrees was like driving a shopping cart with one wiggly wheel.

Bandit Billy, jimmy six and D-Russ like this.
  8. Yes it was lol

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Those settings are almost overkill -- but would be fine at El Mirage -- see you there?

51504bat, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  10. El Mirage is a long way to go to run just for time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . there are records to be held!

(. . . and heritage to enjoy.)

51504bat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or to have the meet cancelled due to wet lake bed conditions. Next week is cancelled.

D-Russ likes this.
  13. It's my understanding that only SCTA club members can set and hold records at El Mirage. And from the inquiries John and I have made, the clubs don't seem very interested in letting outsiders join. So we wouldn't have an opportunity to record there. FWIW, the current XO/PP record at El Mirage is 110 and we've gone 123 at Bonneville with our little Ford motor. And don't forget the altitude difference ...

14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

1. Most of the clubs invite out-of-area members. El Mirage requires a lot of member duties to pull off the meets and the out-of-area members can help with them.

2. El Mirage timing traps are at the 1.3-mile markers. Going 123 2 to 3 miles from the starting line is okay, I guess. You probably were going about 110 or so at the 1.3 distance.

3. The "altitude" fluctuates at both venues.

(Seven San Berdoo Roadster records -- 5 Bonneville, 2 El Mirage)

15. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^. Those comments seem almost like a challenge. What can u do in 1.3 miles? Besides have fun. Still a long way from Virginia

Stan Back and D-Russ like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The SCTA club I’m in has had members Associate members living in many states and some have competed in El Mirage meets on rare occasions. They are not required to do duties unless for some reason they wish to compete in 3 or more in the same year.
    I have considered towing across half this country to participate in one of the 1 mile speed events for about a millisecond or maybe after a beer or 10. The truck would definitely be competitive and most likely set a record for the class but in reality there are only 2 who actually care….. the one holding the record and the one wanting it. That’s cruel, but a fact in land speed endeavors.
    It’s tough enough to do it for a week at Bonneville. For a one or two day possibility……doable but practical, probably not…
    As for the record of 110, I’ve often wondered if there was a competitor with a 48-54 GMC SCTA legal XO/Production Pickup who might want to team up for a year and see if we, with them, couldn’t make it about 135….

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Jet96, Tman, SilverJimmy and 2 others like this.
  17. The GMC intake is all prepped for powder coating.
    Thanks to @john mullen for the engineering and design and @koppy for the welding!

GMC Intake 2.png

GMC Intake 1.png

koppy, Jet96, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. Dave,
    Who does your powder coating?

D-Russ likes this.
  20. Not sure, John has a guy.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Just a heads up here,
    My wife and I will be heading to New Mexico for a family reunion and will be there for 3 weeks.
    Looking forward to this time to reflect and refresh
    IMG_5612.png

22. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Best Wishes for a great trip!

Lou Manglass

23. That's cool, I never picked up on the Gas Rhonda number. I've been looking for a Russ Davis Ford license plate frame forever because my name is Dave Russell (D-Russ). I drive the truck.

Just Gary likes this.
  24. Worked on headers today, I made up a die to form the header tube to fit the flange. See photos. 20230612_132626.jpg 20230612_132516.jpg 20230612_132620.jpg 20230612_141309.jpg 20230612_132626.jpg 20230612_132516.jpg 20230612_132620.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Thanks lou,

26. IMG_0155.jpeg

27. With much dissapointment we will not be coming to Bonneville 2023 as we are working on engine project and funding is really tight.
    We will miss seeing everyone there but will spend that money on speed Parts. Race safe and have fun on the salt and we will see you all hopefully in 2024. 20230716_141357.jpg

saltflats, Just Gary and D-Russ like this.
  28. Big shout out to Curt Iseli at Winters Performance for helping us figure out what we need to get our quick change sorted out. We are heading in a new direction with the truck as we feel the record in XO/PP is out of reach for our little 270 Cu. In. Engine. Against the 302 GMC powered engines in XO/PP. WE are moving forward but at a slow pace as funding comes available.

29. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

For what its worth, I went to el mirage for the first time in may of this year to work in tech and check it out. i was approached by a few clubs to see if I was interested in joining so I could race the roadster. I ended up joining SDRC and am in Ohio so its not super uncommon. I am looking forward to running there this year, the venue is killer and the history is awesome as well. similar to Bonneville but a lot different as well.

30. QC means a switch to MP?!

jimmy six and saltflats like this.