Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods *** Saint Christopher *** ... from the horses mouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Church, May 24, 2023.

1. Church

Church
    from South Bay

It’s been a good while since I’ve been here, as life, work and some health issues have been devouring my time and energy. My brain is still causing me some grief, so I may be all over the place. Please bear with me.

I wanted to take a minute and post about my car … I call it Saint Christopher. Rodder's Journal, Hot Rod Magazine, Goodguys (and others) refer to it as the “Controversial Coupe”. I am not blind to the fact that the paint is unexpected, but aside from that, I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about. The vast majority of people who see the car in person, love it. If they don’t like it, they might walk on by, or mention they don’t understand it and would like to know the inspiration to educate themselves. I certainly don’t expect everyone to like it, but it’s exactly what I dreamt up and wanted. Not built for anyone but myself. The keyboard warriors in mommy’s basement on the other hand, spew hate and vitriol like you wouldn’t believe. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t imagine walking around a car show, then posting pics and telling everyone what a huge pile of crap something is. I guess that’s the kind of respect we show each other these days?

The debut at GNRS was amazing. Much like when I unleashed VanGo on the unsuspecting public 12 years prior, it garnered much more attention than even the AMBR cars. I think it’s safe to say that this hobby moves forward at about a snail’s pace. As an outsider, or at least not one of the big guns, I never expected that my cars might be the ones to make an impact. I’m still apologizing for the van thing by the way … my bad. .

THIS car was built by South City Rod and Custom. Mostly by my friend Bill Ganahl (Pat’s son). Donny Welch put in some work as well, and was the main reason the car ended up where it did. Version 1 began with Tim Conder. I went over what I wanted, had heaps of car pics I liked, renderings etc etc. I wasn’t anticipating chopping it, but Tim talked me into it and helped establish the overall look of the car (paint not included). I had the stripe idea 8 years ago, but they were much more vertical. I wasn’t quite as confident at the time, as the colors weren't nearly as contrasty. I became unhappy, disappointed or whatever you want to call it with the progress, and after 2.5 years I decided to pull it from Tim’s shop. It ended up costing me a good friend, which still bums me out to this day. Tim is a freakish talent and I love the guy to death. Unfortunately things didn't work out. It's difficult for me to talk about him because it requires both pros and cons and I don't want to throw him under the bus. I’ll just leave it at that.

Bill and Donny went over the car for a few days, and hit me with 3 awful choices. After a week or so, I told Bill I believed in the car and agreed to sell V1, using the money to buy another 33/34 body and building a custom frame. Let me tell you, starting over from scratch is a TOUGH pill to swallow, but damn was the outcome worth it!

I’m sure some of you will have questions that I will do my best to answer. Before you do, I’d like to ask you to read one of 3 articles (more if you’re intrigued) or listen to the podcast. You’ll get the story and some build details. The Fuel Curve article is the most recent, and contains the best photos (in my opinion).

1. The Rodder’s Journal. Issue 82. They called the article “The Controversial Coupe”, but they considered it controversial because of the 2 shop ordeal. They interviewed me, Bill and Conder.

2. Fuelcurve.com . This has wonderful photos and an article about winning Hot Rod of the Year.
    https://fuelcurve.com/coby-gewertz-34-ford-2023-hot-rod-of-the-year/

3. Hot Rod Magazine. There is an article online (also playing up the controversy), and I’m guessing it will be in the next issue with different images. Hopefully a cover.
    https://www.motortrend.com/features/1933-ford-coupe-custom-paint-story?slide=1

4. This podcast talks about the car and the controversy and was filmed the day after its debut at GNRS. It’s a discussion with John McGann from Hot Rod, Chip Foose, Troy Ladd, Scott Williams, Bill Ganahl and Ben York.
    https://www.motortrend.com/features/ambr-2023-group-discussion/

slayer, fauj, Cooon and 33 others like this.
  2. I don’t understand people….absolutely killer car man.

3. 62rebel

62rebel

Personally I think it's dang interesting and different. If they was all black with flames, what's the point? Mo' power to ya.

4. banjorear

banjorear

Totally. I just don't get it. Something that is different and done to an incredibly high level comes around and people lose their poop.

Not every cool car needs to be a cookie cutter traditional car.

I absolutely love it and give you huge props for what you created.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Toms Dogs, John Starr, drdave and 5 others like this.

5. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

This right here is what it's all about! Love the car.

6. tahoe118

tahoe118

I loved the car the first time I saw a picture of it, I have read some of the comments from people and I just shake my head.

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. I saw at Pomona and thought it was fantastic. I haven't heard anything negative about it from my small group of friends.

8. I really like the paint job! It is different and not everything needs flames (sometimes they just are not quite right a vehicle), or skulls to be cool. The main question is 'Do you enjoy it?' If yes then who cares what other people think.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I like it. You’ve pleased yourself that’s all that matters.
    Apparently most people love it.
    you’ve made a beautiful artistic masterpiece.

41 GMC K-18, VANDENPLAS and hrm2k like this.
  10. I love that thing. I don't even like the paint. I don't dislike it either. It's just not "what I would do" that being said. I'm color blind and I am having a hard time imagining it any other way than what I see in front of me... A solid single color doesn't vibe with the rest of it....in the end it probably doesn't even matter what color it is. Its a badass hot rod built to very high standards. This thing gets me excited about hot rodding again, in a sea of flatheads and bangers, it really stands out.

11. Besty34

Besty34

absolutely love it, all wouldn't change a thing, its great to see you driving it and racing it, a proper hot rod. As for the Rodders Journal I'm from the U.K its been so long since we've seen it that I wouldn't know what it looks like !

12. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally cool if people don't like it. From what I've seen on the HAMB, most who don't care for it give a reason. I think that adds food for thought and initiates a conversation ... which is a good thing. There is no right or wrong here.

chryslerfan55, HEMI32, NoelC and 8 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well my 3 year old loves it! Good nuff for me. Can’t wait to see it in person!

winduptoy, 41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. Loved the Van! Love the car even more! Knowing your background with Drag Racing Coby I TOTALLY get the why of it. That thing screams shades of the glory years of funny cars and fuel coupes.

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Its a huge feat to win this award... I can see and respect all the work that went into this. Paint job reminds me of some weird WW2 ship painting idea to throw off U boats.

Side note:
    Sounds like you worry too much about what others think to mention "the people that don't like it" a few times already on this thread.

Try having a box or two of Fudge Ems...

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. "It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees." -Wayne Campbell, Wayne's World

enloe, John Starr, SDhotrod and 6 others like this.
  17. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coby,your car is outstanding!!!everyone should do themselves a fravor and find nonstock photo's youtube coverage of the gg hotrod of the year nashville event,the footage of it running down the dragstrip speak for its self

18. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I totally get what you are saying in regards to "some people...". What I am trying to communicate (poorly perhaps) is I think there is room for debate, and to ask questions etc. The first few comments were Love it. Love it . Love it ... and this wasn't intended to be an ass kissing festival post either. I know the car came out of left field.

I appreciate your comment. Thank you!

19. well said. There is no problem with not liking a car. But I sure wouldn’t bash it.

20. Church

Church
    from South Bay

In regards to the HROTY competition, I had not driven the car until Nashville. Bill has been racking up the miles to qualify up in NorCal. I got MAYBE a mile of seat time in the car before putting in about 150 miles on the reliability run. Bill did the burnout and drag portion and asked to drive like a 20 mile stint to the next stop. Spun the tires about 200 feet. I asked what the rpm's got up to, and he said "all of them". Not sure how to post a video. I'll post the inspiration and first rendering when I can.

Nominal, drdave, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  21. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My opinion doesn’t count…….but……I think St Christopher belongs on the same level, as The California Kid, Jakes yellow coupe, The Superbell coupe and The Eliminator coupe.
    After 91 years of existence, your coupe is not like any before. You don’t get much better than that

22. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Completely agree with the "once in a while hot rodding needs a kick in the pants" notion. Far too much of the same old same old out there. Love that guys like yourself and Bill have the balls to step out of the box. Killer car.

24. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Stripe inspiration research.

my heroes 01.jpg my heroes 09.jpg my heroes 02.jpg my heroes 03.jpg my heroes 04.jpg my heroes 05.jpg my heroes 06.jpg my heroes 07.jpg my heroes 08.jpg

25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

harley bridge.JPG The paint isn’t my cup of tea but I understand the thoughts behind it. And after all it is not my car or money. But the video of it driving floats my boat.For some reason the car in motion reminds me of this famous photo. The setback of the engine, the hidden radiator etc etc. The best thing is that you followed your vision

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

John Jackson's photography is the closest thing to capturing the presence of Saint Christopher in real life.....but let me tell you.....until you've seen it in motion, you have no idea of the visceral hold it commands.

hrm2k, HEMI32, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  27. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Your car is incredible! And I hate brown! F'em.

28. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Very cool paint! I’d drive that car everywhere and to hell with the haters.

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haters gonna hate. I love it!

hrm2k likes this.
  30. Anderson

Anderson

You can put me in the camp of loving everything about the car until I saw the paint. And then I had to regroup a little. Some folks might see it and immediately be in love. But I think to me, it was so different than anything else done on a car like this, that it kinda broke my mind a little. Usually you see a car and think it’s the perfect color, or it’s a good color for resale, or it’s just not right for the car. But this was an entirely different ball in the game and completely unexpected. In the end, I love it. It just took a minute to set in. And to be honest, if it was some no-name shop and some anonymous car owner, I don’t think it would have either had the impact or “controversy” that it has. But with the vision of both you and all the guys involved at South City, it makes for a far more important final product. Everything those guys have been turning out is top notch in style and quality and yours is no different.

Side note 1…the competition at HROTY this year was insane. Knowing those cars and some of the builders, it was more of an AMBR kind of group than usual, and they were all solid drivers to boot. So to come out on top of all that, is really solid proof of an amazing car.

Side note 2…to those who don’t understand why anyone would be concerned with the “haters”…I don’t think it’s a matter of valuing their opinion. I doubt Coby does care what they think. But it is still very obnoxious to hear it shouted so loudly by those who do not understand what it takes to do something like this.