Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wind noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cammer8, May 17, 2023.

1. cammer8

cammer8

I've got a 1934 Ford 1/2 ton. I know that wind noise is to be accepted, however, does not having hood side panels increase the problem more? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Deuces and 2FORCEFULL like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It does if you have holes in the floor or on the firewall. lol

Deuces, SS327 and Bob Lowry like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nice looking pickup.
    Am running without sides on mine.
    I have insulation mounted on the inside of the firewall. Never noticed much wind but of course my engine makes enough music to drown it out.

Deuces, 2FORCEFULL and 210superair like this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah that truck is a beauty!

Deuces likes this.

5. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

damn, thats a nice one!!!! any more pics??? motor??

Deuces likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-5-17_6-45-1.png The built in barriers...
    Hello,

Cool looking truck… If any thing, that big grille is a wind stopper, let alone the square windshield. But, in looking at your truck photo, the shade scoop on the roof is probably the number one cause of wind stoppage. Since that is a part of the structure, you will have to live with it, unless you seal up the scoop portion as a custom touch, perhaps with some contrasting pinstriping.
    upload_2023-5-17_6-45-41.png
    But adding the hood sides that have louvers facing toward the rear will make the wind flow much better. Currently, your open motor causes the wind to swirl around with the firewall acting as a flat barrier. That, in addition to the tall flapping radio antenna are the wind noise champions. If you can move the radio antenna elsewhere, not exposed to the air, then you will have at least tried to remove the wind noise makers.
    upload_2023-5-17_6-46-43.png Air flow flat, up/inside, around and over the top...

Jnaki

I took a course in college for weather and air flow directions that cause climate change. I thought I might be a weather person at a newspaper or a reporter. That class had an air flow portion that utilized all sorts of design parameters in cars, houses, and trucks, as well as where homes would be built to take in the best weather for living. So, a few pointers stuck over time and if one looks at all of the hot rod articles or magazine articles about air flow, coefficient of drag, car designs for racing and factories. It is an eye opener.

Unless you listen to AM radio constantly or some far away FM radio, there is no need for a huge external antenna. Watch it flex as you go down the road. There are alternatives... removal is one...

So, if wind noise is driving you crazy you might think about smaller headlights or tucking in the external mirrors, but then all of those wind barriers would necessitate driving a smooth 40 Ford Sedan or Sedan Delivery. Very little needs to be done for smooth air flow… Ha! YRMV

Note: El Camino drivers found out that the closed rear tailgate with an empty bed open to the elements causes a slow down and turbulence of sorts. the wind blasts over the cab, swirls into the empty bed and goes right for the closed tailgate. then, has to swirl up and over the leading top edge to flow out and away. Tests had been shown in magazine articles, but for the drag racers, they knew the difficulties and always ran with the tailgate open.
    upload_2023-5-17_10-26-59.png upload_2023-5-17_10-31-42.png
    upload_2023-5-17_10-32-34.png upload_2023-5-17_10-33-3.png
    upload_2023-5-17_10-33-24.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    lothiandon1940 and CSPIDY like this.
  7. greybeard360

greybeard360

Wind noise hadn't been invented yet when that truck was new so there is no known fix for it. Wind noise didn't come along until after WWII when cars were a little more rounded and quieter.

Deuces, SS327, Vic Walter and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

if it is to be accepted I guess you just live with it.

Deuces and Joe Blow like this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had 4 deuce pickups (same basic cab) and have tried just about everything to suppress the wind noise. I have resolved myself to the noise. Overlapping doors, flat windshield combined with the sun visor create the perfect storm. My last pickup had just seat cushions, kick panels, rubber floor covering and perfect fitting wind lace. The rest of the interior was as Ford had wanted it. (Naked) I finally bought a pair of noise canceling head phones to wear when I was driving it.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Roothawg like this.
  10. Loud exhaust cures any noises not engine related

Deuces, SS327, Joe Blow and 1 other person like this.
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Wind noise.....If it makes HP you don't hear wind noise...

Deuces likes this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When that vehicle was new, I'd imagine the average speed was not much over 30 mph. You're basically pushing a big square box through the air. Adding openings just gives the air something else to move around. Much quieter if there are smooth sides to direct the airflow.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.
  13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

That’s like driving a barn door ina wind storm! Chop it about 11” that will help a little. All jokes aside that’s a sweet PU. I remember using dish soap to install window rubber around a unchopped 28’ A coupe once. Not only did it have a T5 transmission it would run like 90 MPH on the highway. ( not recommended) but one time I was trying but failed to out run some rain and not only did it sound like ( I assume) the space shuttle entering the earth’s atmosphere but the rain water spread out quickly to the outer edges of the window due to the amazing aerodynamics of the flat surface, but also created a enormous amount of suds from the dish soap that was used. Not to mention the 75 foot rooster tails coming off each open wheel. The next car got a 6” chop and an early 3 spd to eliminate that experience ever again.

Deuces, RMR&C and alanp561 like this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Most everything has been covered here. The visor is probably the biggest culprit. My 35 PU isn't much better. Everyone will just tell you to live with it, but you can mitigate it a little by spending some time looking at how the doors fit and adding weatherstripping where you see daylight.

I have a severe wind entry point inside the doors. I can feel the cold air in the winter. I guess it is coming in around the hinges. I am going to have to pull the door panels and drive it to find it I guess.

Deuces and alanp561 like this.
  15. twenty8

twenty8

The older I get, the more wind noise I seem to make............ but that's inside the cab.:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

16. gene-koning

gene-koning

Good thing you can't hear all of the inside wind noise because the outside wind noise is so loud. :D

alanp561, Deuces and twenty8 like this.
  17. SS327

SS327

This has been the silliest question ever asked here!

18. Deuces

Deuces

Install a "loud" stereo system and kick out some jams!....:cool::D

19. I doubt that!

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The hood sides are inside the roughly bowling-pin-shaped turbulent wake behind each headlight, so I doubt if it makes much difference whether they're there or not. There are sources of turbulent wakes all over the front end of your truck. The curved edges of the grille shell, fender tops, and sunvisor probably make them less severe than they might have been.

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Ned! I just realized it's 12:32 P.M. in Cape Town, what's for lunch?

Ned Ludd likes this.
  22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'll make me a sandwich or two.

alanp561 likes this.