Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Poncho/Chevy fender welting?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, Apr 25, 2023.

1. AGELE55

AGELE55

Getting close to mounting some fenders on the 39 Poncho, so today's questions-
    Did these use fender welting? My shop manual doesn't mention it.
    If so, I see some universal welting on line pretty cheap. 20230425_164103.jpg

2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the cheap vinyl/rubber welting on my 39 chevy. It cleans up the gap between the fender and body ...it looks right.

AGELE55 likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Yes they used welting.

AGELE55 likes this.
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Haven't put welting on my '39 Chev yet as I wanted to do it after paint. But with my Wimbledon White color I wanted something close to match, and only thing I saw was custom made welting covered in vinyl stitched over round material.
    I kept looking, and found a company less than an hour from me that had welting formed in a bunch of colors that's a VW parts place. They had the perfect color and a 20 ft. roll was only $22.
    Haven't pulled or loosened my fenders yet to install it, as I'm always working alone, and need a 2nd person to ensure I don't mess up my painted fenders!

AGELE55 and Chavezk21 like this.

5. BJR

BJR

I have found the easiest way to install welting is to loosen the fender. Then see where the bolts that hold the fender on are, and mark them on tape on the outside of the fender. Lay the welting over the fender and cut a "V" in the flap of the welt where the bolt is. Push the welt into the gap with the "V" straddling the bolt, and move on to the next bolt. You may need to use some masking tape to hold the welt into the gap until the fender it tightened back up.

southerncad and AGELE55 like this.
  6. AGELE55

AGELE55

Hey brother. Can you do me a favor? If you pull your front fenders, can you shoot a pic of the lower cowl, between he firewall and the door? I picked up a repair piece for a 39 Chevy and its different. I was told, and heard, and read, that the Poncho Series 25 body was made by Chevy and identical to the Chevy coupe. Hmmm...
    Maybe you even have an old pic already?
    Thanx

7. hepme

hepme

Yep, this is the way to do it. I did it on my 40 chev. this way, easy and when its installed right and pulled snug, looks really good (straight). Just FYI, the black stuff looks great on just about anything.

AGELE55 likes this.
  8. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Fender welting; I brought a '31 phaeton that had chrome fender welting which distracted from the fender striping.Had a local uphostery (sp) shop do the welting, color matching the body paint color, made for a better look.. dyno Dave

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Except white maybe. For my white '39 I think black would have just stood out too much.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wont be pulling my front fenders to do that tiny piece. And might not even do welting on the front at all, as it is such a small piece. I did find some old pictures, but nothing that's a good side view, but maybe they'll help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AGELE55 likes this.
  11. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thank you sir. It does look different than mine. Odd because, supposedly, the 39 Poncho series 25 was a “Chevy body” with Pontiac designing their own fenders, hood, frame , etc…. The rear tail pan I bought was a 39 Chevy and it fit perfectly.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I know the fenders are different, but I also figured the mounting method with captured nuts would be the same on both Pontiac and Chevy. Figured the pattern might be different with the slightly different shape though.