Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I assume to lessen the risk of a static spark? I was told (many years ago, take it for what it is) that gas pump hoses are internally grounded, so when the nozzle is in the filler neck no spark can occur.
    Is this a practice with Aviation fuel though? Asking because I have no idea.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Where I buy AV fuel at there is a ground clamp. But I put it in plastic jugs and the nozzle is so big it would not even fit in a cars filler neck. You know it is set up so you pull your plane up to the tank , LOL

chryslerfan55 and Budget36 like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Anything that sits more than it moves around here gets pure gas. The alky laced fuel is fine in the FI on the late model drivers, but on the small engines with carburetors , the old 8N tractor and my Lincoln they all get the good stuff. I’ve used Stabil, Seafoam, and Lucas fuel treatments all to good results. Alky will suck moisture from the air, especially on vented fuel systems, the late model FI systems are all closed so it doesn’t affect them as much. Remember before they started adding the alky when you got some gas with water in it what you did? You put a bottle of gas dry in, which was mostly alcohol! It would absorb the water and let it go through the system.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Moriarity, TA DAD and Bob Lowry like this.
  5. Dammit nothing near me

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. SS327

SS327

Me neither in Starke county Indiana.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

8. Yeah I'm shit out of luck too!! I'm just gonna start throwing so stabil in it.

427 sleeper, scotty t and bowie like this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. Guess it's better than not doing anything huh? Especially when you can't buy ethanol free gasoline here. I've looked at 100 pictures of ethanol damage online, none of them were the jelly that I had.

11. Porter county here.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

2min and 40 sec in the video, ethanol caused jelly shown

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Several places in my area to buy ethanol free. Strange thing is the price. Some are around 30 cents more than alky regular while others are more than a dollar higher.

14. SS327

SS327

Howdy neighbor!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  15. I wasn't able to watch the entire video until now, but I see it. So with that said, what are we supposed to do? If a car has to set, like during the winter, do we drain the tank, and let it run until the carb runs dry? Still don't understand why this is the only car I've had this issue with o_O

16. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Do you buy all your gas from the same place ?

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there must be a station within driving distance of your place . let the tank run low as you can then drive to a station that has the good stuff fill er up and drive home. looks like they have it at the Krogers in Winchester about 40 miles from you. Hell I would run it year around from them if it were me....

chryslerfan55 and TA DAD like this.
  18. Usually Murphys or shell, but whatya do when you go on a trip? Gotta get gas when ya need it. I understand if your car sits in the garage, but when you're out on the road ya just gotta get gas where you can when you need it. This is crazy lol

19. That link shows the boat marina at cave run and Winchester, but if I drive to Winchester to get gas, fill it up and drive home, I'll need gas again lol. I just won't let the car sit without running it

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

winchester looks like 40 miles on the map, is it further than that?

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes man, there must be a couple of hooch mills between you and wherever.:D

Tickety Boo likes this.
  22. Slopok

Slopok

When you're on a trip you can run shitty gas cause you will burn it rite up, not putting it in storage! o_O

23. From my house it's about 30 one way. That's 60 at 10mpg lol

24. That's true!

25. Does the 110 octane have ethanol in it?

26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not, but I'd bet it's got plenty of lead and smells good, too! :D:cool:

27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Take a couple of 5 gallon gas cans with you. The ethanol free gas stays good for a long time not like the crap stuff. Also I get better mileage with it although not enough to compensate for the higher cost. But then how much does rebuilding your carb cost?

Tickety Boo likes this.
  28. More of a cleaning than anything, bowl gaskets. Probably $15? But what I've figured out here is just don't let it set with that gas in it lol. I have a 28hp 60" zero turn mower that set all winter with the same gas, and it runs perfect this year. Go figure! We'll get through this just like everything else. Looking forward to taking it out tmrw for a few miles. Let it stretch some ;)

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

a 283 that gets 10 mpg?

30. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Lloyd , I bet the fuel pump is full also .

Tickety Boo and 427 sleeper like this.