Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sanding chrome off, not grinding.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve a chromed tube axle I need to weld spring pads on. I’d like to use my belt sander with some type of metal oxide paper to grind the chrome off where I’m going to weld and keep a nice line and not dig into the tube.
    Suggestions on a grit/type of paper to seek?
    Thanks

2. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

80-120 should do the trick. I'd start with 120 and see how that works.

Budget36 likes this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look into 3M's Cubitron abrasives. I think you will need it with chrome.

Budget36 likes this.
  4. shorrock

shorrock

Be aware that chrome particles are causing cancer if inhaled.

Budget36 and dirt t like this.

5. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Chrome is super tough, good luck trying to get it off with sand paper.
    Maybe a carbide burr and die grinder.

borntoloze and Budget36 like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Last chrome tube axle I welded brackets on I used my small grinder and Roloc 2" discs on. I used a 80 grit disc, and it worked great. Marked the chrome tube with a black felt marker, and ground it following the black lines. Once the brackets were tig welded on I masked off the chrome that was still in good shape, and sprayed the welds, and new brackets with chrome paint. The axle and brackets still look great, and the chrome paint looks like a polished aluminum finish.

Budget36, Tim, olscrounger and 4 others like this.
  7. ^^^ This.... This will give you the best control over where/how much you do...

Budget36 likes this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As shorrock points out chromium dust is a carcinogenic, wear a respirator and do it outside.

Budget36 likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Are you going to get the axle rechromed? If so take it to the platers and have the plating stripped

Fogger, Budget36 and lippy like this.
  10. 37gas

37gas

Send it to your chrome shop and have them strip it for you that way if your going to re chrome it they don't have to fix your grinder marks

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I hadn’t planned on rechroming it. It and the backing plates are an older chrome.
    Thanks

12. NoelC

NoelC

Always the guy who likes to disagree, I'm thinking why bother. Not that I'm speaking with application specific experience, but I have welded to a chrome bumper. Align and weld it. If you think it won't dillute your wrong, it will. The weld will be be a little shiny, maybe a tad harder, so what. Chrome melts around 1900F, carbon steel around 2400F to 2800F depending on carbon and alloys. More a chance to fail in failing to properly set the welding machine up and welding it. Was that GTAW or GMAW you were planning to use?

As for the dust from grinding, it's not a line of coke your snorting. Not like your going to develope a bad habit from it either. But the fumes in my opinion are easier to deal with then the dust.
    Common sense tells you most of what you need to know. Dust mask, don't breath the dust and keep it off the sandwich or the coffee cup. Or...minimize and just weld it. It'll filter out and be gone with a breeze.

One last thing...I understand the question was how best to remove the chrome as removing it is best practice and policy. Regarding removel, smaller particulate is more a hazard problem then coarse chunks. I'd tape off what you don't want removed with duct tape in layers to act as a guide/wall/curb and use the edge of a zip disc to wash it out and away. Carefully, as it will want to walk. But it will remove material quite quickly and with less of a dust being created.

overspray, ken1949car and Budget36 like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

For location that it will be in, I’ll tack with Mig, pull it out and Tig it for a cleaner look.