Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another survivor found in Hawaii!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redracer64, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Fuuuuuck that's rad

Stogy likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@cactus1 man my lenses need updated lmao I thought those were 58 chevy when I scrolled past them - face palm

Outback, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  3. @Tim Lanny had these on the Bachelors Button when he first built it and then swapped for the Del Rays!

Stogy, Sancho and Tim like this.
  4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Those are early 50's Buick taillights.

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. Squablow

Squablow

Great car, looks like it was finished to a very high degree when it was first built. Also looks like it's held up quite well, without much "updating" done over the years, just the way you'd want to find one.

Joe Blow, Stogy, Wanderlust and 2 others like this.
  7. WC145

WC145
    from Maine

Very cool, how'd you find it?

Stogy likes this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Awesome find!! I've always liked Vickys, and that interior is way cool. Is it hard or still pliable?
    Someone was optimistic when choosing tires, that's a lotta tire for a single 2 bbl flathead. I like the Olds idea above, but then I'm sorta biased.

Joe Blow and Stogy like this.
  9. redracer64

redracer64

I was actually looking at a 1940 ford coupe and the guy said he'd sell the vicky too. I was more excited on the vicky so I grabbed it instead of the '40

10. redracer64

redracer64

The interior is still soft. IT Just needs a good cleaning to remove mildew etc. Along with minor repairs.

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, wing tips on the rear bar. Love it

Spooky and Stogy like this.
  12. A true time capsule. Clean it up, drive it and enjoy it. Most of us will appreciate what you have, and be somewhat envious.

Stogy likes this.
  13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Awesome find. And good for you for passing on the 40 to go for this one.

Stogy likes this.
  14. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Bitch'n find! Congrats.
    To me it seems like the current flattie doesn't jive with the rest of the original build. I was really expecting to see an Olds or at least a hopped up flattie.
    Regardless that thing is awesome. Enjoy

15. Aloha, and Congrats!!! I've had that dream. But then I always wake up. lol I know you didn't ask for everyones opinions. But if I were Soo lucky to have found it. I'd love to see it like it was in it's hayday. Restore the interior as it is. A new Porsche indian red paint job. With all the suspension under the fenders, top, and running boards all white. Re-chrome all the shiny stuff.$$ New W.W.tires smaller on the front, and with new piecrust slicks on the rear.$$ Then dress up that flathead to kill.$$$. I'm very good at spending your money. lol But first build a book with all it's history, and with LOTS of pictures. I really love eveything about your Vicky. Keep us posted. Thanks...

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Cool as the other side of the pillow.......

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Get it mechanically sound and drive as is. What a cool find!Congrats!

Stogy, bulletpruf and Tim like this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The stock flathead doesn't match the rest of the rodded car.
    I'm wondering if it once had a hot flathead that was pulled for another project or sold off and the stocker was dropped in later, to get it road worthy? The carb, generator, wires, hoses, etc seem to be fresh additions as well as a coat of paint on the firewall...

19. redracer64

redracer64

I agree. I would really like to find some old pics of it to see what it had when it was built. I'll gave to inspect the frame and see if there is evidence of different motor mounts located for a different v8.

Okie Pete, rattlecanrods and Stogy like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I somehow missed this... Holy hell man...

21. yummy!

Stogy likes this.
  22. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

I lived on the North Shore of Oahu for a few years; great for surfing but the salt spray wasn't kind to vintage cars!

I concur with the comments above about the engine; would look great with an early hopped up OHV powerplant...

Stogy likes this.
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I went to visit a friend last year on Oahu that has a number of survivor cars under a large 6-car carport... I was amazed to see how clean the cars were. Very little rust.

Meanwhile, I've seen others that were Swiss cheese. I suspect it really depends on if the car was stored on the windward or leeward side of the island...

24. bulletpruf

bulletpruf

Agree that it's all about location. I lived there from 2003 - 2005, and picked up a '68 Firebird that had been there for years and it was quite solid. The '67 Dart GT convt. that I bought was rusted out junk with shiny paint.

The North Shore would have been fine in the summer just under a carport, but in the winter, the surf pounded constantly. I lived on the beach in Haleiwa, and there was pretty much a fine salty mist in the air all winter. As a result, anything parked outside had a thin coating of salt on the exterior sheetmetal, too. I wasn't there long enough to see the impact of it, but I'm sure my daily and the 'Bird would have rusted quite quickly had I stayed more than a few years.

Stogy likes this.
  25. redracer64

redracer64

Yah, Hawaii is home of carports. I've never seen a state with more carports than here. The guy I got the car from had at least 6 other classic cars under the carport. Lucky I am a few miles away from the coast so I don't get the salt mist.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too...:)...on a second look I see the difference...somewhat smaller ...

@redracer64 congratulations...the Hawaiian Hotrod/Custom scene was pretty up there with quality rides...and you found one...

Was the 40 a Hotrod?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    Jungle Jalopy and Joe Blow like this.
  27. redracer64

redracer64

The 40 was a deluxe, mostly stockish mild custm with some rusty chrome wire wheels from 60/70s. Had a nice flathead with aftermarket heads and intake. And alternator converted. Was still a good car but I couldn't get 2. Wife would not allow it and not enough room.
    It was a mild Hotrod. 8401.jpeg 8408.jpeg 8404.jpeg 8401.jpeg 8404.jpeg

28. Neat Hot Rod.. congrats.. a friend of mine has a Oldsmobile powered Vicky... its cool...

29. Special Ed

Special Ed

We have 10 (out of 14) climate zones here, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Yeah, it matters ... ;)

Outback and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  30. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

The wheels are modern aftermarket, 1990s at the earliest.

pprather likes this.