Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941 chevy cab repair help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1942g506, Mar 28, 2023.

1. 1942g506

1942g506

Hello all, long time lurker new member here. I've got a 41 chevy truck cab I am currently working to repair and need some help. The truck is overall fairly solid but has some rust in the floor area that I'm not sure how to approach. I don't think they make a patch area for this? Any advice? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jim Carter might have some floor sections for sale

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tin snips, a body hammer, and an 8-inch section of railroad track.

Use some poster board and a sharpie to make a template, and transfer it to a piece of 18ga.

You can do this!

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

the problem you are going to have with that section is the screws are bolting the top part into the structure of the cab under it. there is also a small piece of wood involved right there. the screws go through the wood into some square nuts that are part of the cab to frame mounting. i would suggest you remove the center section of floor first which is just screwed down. then you can see what you are up against. do not just start cutting until you understand how it was assembled.

swade41 likes this.

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

the toe board and the flat section of floor are 2 separate pieces. the part you have circled is the main section of floor that wraps around the back of the cab and holds the gas tank and seat riser.

6. alchemy

alchemy

First you need to clean all the rust off to know what is affected. The rust might be just on the surface in some spots, but ate all the way through in others. Sandblasting would probably be best, but messy.

7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I'm going to get beat up for my opinions .... I sense from your post this may be your first welding repairs.
    Thats cool, we all start somewhere. Let me show you my very first floor patch.

0227231206a.jpg

I think it is important when giving advise to know what you are doing. Same time we have to think about what skill level the person getting the advise is capable of. What tools (welder) they have to work with.

Important thing is to get everything clean as you can. I then cut out the rust holes leaving solid metal.
    Then I treated the area with ospho a rust converter. I created a patch to sit on top.
    Then I cleaned the area for welding removing the ospho ... under the patch is treated.

So the photo is in the middle of installing it. Today the patch is fully welded in, seam sealer on the edges, brush painted & covered with carpet. I'm 60 years old it will last as long as I'm alive.
    It is not restored .... it is a repair.

For a restoration, a guy would would do the cut & butt method to weld in the patch .... You need to hammer & dolly the welded seams ... you cant reach them. Unless your arms are 6' long.
    A professional has some tricks .... you will learn as you go.

Here is a ugly repair.
    I do not have the skills or tools to reproduce this transmission cover.
    They reproduce them in 20 gauge metal for a couple hundred $$.
    Concerned with it because the gas pedal sits on it ..... could not use it as it was.
    I spent a afternoon cutting out the bad metal, then rebuilding it.
    I can count at least 9 different pieces of metal welded in to make up the complicated shapes.

0227231344.jpg
    Lets be honest, it looks terrible. The majority of the transmission cover is solid but has heavy pitting.
    I still need to clean it up & prep it for paint ... probably more welding.
    We know it is junk, but it is solid enough to use while searching for a good replacement.

I'm just suggesting, do the best you can with what you have ... Do not expect to go to your first rodeo & come out the top cowboy.

Working on the floor is the best place to learn, it all gets covered up in the end.

vtx1800 and 1942g506 like this.
  8. 1942g506

1942g506

Thanks for all the advice.