Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical raise the front on my 32' transverse spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harley Charley, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

I need to raise the front end 1" on my 32' pickup. I just put a 502 crate motor in, and apparently missed the sweet spot on the motor mounts, and need to get it up. I was thinking about putting a 1" aluminum spacer between the spring and the perch. It's got a 4" drop axle now, but I don't see a big selection of 3" axles out there. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

2. deuceman32

deuceman32

Do you have a reversed eye spring? If so, you could go back to a standard main leaf and get an inch maybe inch and a quarter back.

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Do you have a stock or reversed eye spring? If it's a reversed eye there's an inch to be had there. Possibly a new spring with more arch?

4. twenty8

twenty8

Are you sure you didn't lose the inch due to extra weight of the 502 ???
    Maybe the spring you have will need some leaves added to compensate.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.

5. swifty

swifty

I gather the engine is sitting too low and you need to raise that ? Why not make a packer/spacer between the engine and chassis based on your style of mount.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  6. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

Thanks for the response, Swifty. Sadly, I don't have enough clearance between the bell housing and the trans. tunnel. It's too bad, because I have pancake mounts and it would have been easy to slide spacers in!

7. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

I had a 58' 392 hemi in it before, with hot heads on it, so I think it's a push on the weight. I might try adding a leaf or two... Thanks Twenty 8!

8. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

To tell the truth, I don't recall if I put the reverse eyed spring in or not. I may have thought the 4" drop in the axle was enough. But I will check that out. Thanks!

9. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

Thanks! I built it 5 yrs. ago, and I can't remember if I put the reversed eyelet spring in. I've reached the age where the other day I got up and walked across the shop and had to return because I forgot the reason I was going! Getting old sucks.....

427 sleeper and panhead_pete like this.