Register now to get rid of these ads!

History IF I ONLY HAD A TIME MACHINE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 13, 2023.

1. GTS225

GTS225

Y'all be careful what you wish for. There's a lesson to be learned from the story line in "Timecop".
    There's also a mental list of people that I would go back in time and make damn sure thier parents never meet.

Just sayin'.....Roger

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

TARDIS! Time and Relative Dimensions in Space. It's bigger on the inside...

Deuces and R A Wrench like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Time Machine is like Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda covers many subjects. Hmmmmmmmm, hindsite/perfect, foresite/ not so much.

Deuces likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Still fun to think about. I also recall the Twilight Zone episode. Not sure if a time machine was involved, but was a great twist ending (like most were) where the owner of the company wound up working for his servant at the end.
    Gotta plan ahead, or I guess plan behind;)

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

He went back in time to make his fortune all over again, but forgot a few important things about the past, such as the oil rich land that he purchased was worthless at that time, due to the fact that the technology to drill deep enough to extract the oil didn't exist yet.

Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

A better investment would be a 1970 Hemi Cuda. a no miles Hemi Cuda would be worth millions. you could only do it if you still own the place where you stored it in 1970.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, if we're going to do this, we just need to make the time machine large enough to load at least one car on it.

Deuces and 49ratfink like this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Dad got my 56 in 1970 for $25. The guy my Dad got the car from had a 6 cylinder in the car and ran it out of oil and blew the motor. The guy was from out of town and needed to get home so my Dad made the deal to pay for his bus ticket home and he got the car. Stuff you could do back in the day eh!

IMG_4501.jpg

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

In 1970 I was 14 years old. Mom still lives at the same house they did back then (Dad passed away 8 years ago).
    The problem for me would be 2 fold. There is no way Mom or Dad would have let a new car sit back in those days, and there was no way I could have kept my hands off of it when I turned 18 had it still been there.
    We won't even venture into having enough money to buy one outright.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

only organic matter can travel through time. if you want to time travel metal, you would have to cover it with human skin like the Terminators.

Deuces and CSPIDY like this.
  11. or stuff the car in a barn and hope it doesn't deteriorate too much

12. Not sure which "Twilight Zone" it was but I remember the main character went back in time to bring a black 32 roadster back to his present time. Can't remember if it worked or not.

13. .........and I bought this 50 crestliner in 1964 for $50 with a bad motor but no collision damage and no rust. It ran but overheated due to a cracked block so I shelled out another $15 for a used 53 merc motor and another $36 for rings, bearings and gaskets. Got a really nice '50 grille and decklid for Christmas that year. Rockysfirstshubox1.jpg and another $15 for the 4 barrel rockysfirstspeedequipt1964.jpg [ATTACH=fu

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Deuces, 49ratfink and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. 327Eric

327Eric

images.jpeg I would need 2 trips. 1 to procure funding, and one to go to an earlier time with said funding to establish myself and Alibi What I look like tomorrow would be vastly different, but at 51 now, I would likely resemble dirt as there would be no return trip., If I could bring back some modern parts, like heads, cams, etc , I could make some money Street racing. Think Pure Stock Drags, or even a F.A.S.T. Class car. Ted Harbetts Studebaker, among others . Trying to preserve a car for 50 years doesn't always work well

15. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

It’s all relative. I remember the first job that I got It would have been dIfficult to buy at even those prices. Now making a lot more but in many cases prices are high for any duces tom

16. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

If I could go back to just the late 70's or early 80's, I'd buy every cheap VW bus I could get my hands on. I wouldn't give a nickel for one if I had to drive it, but the prices of those damn things are just insane today. 20 grand worth of those things bought 40 years ago would bring the better part of a half million today.

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My idea is similar, but I'd set the time machine for 1974 and buy up all of the '60s muscle cars that people were giving away during the oil embargo.

Deuces likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

I would just buy Apple computer stock back when they were just starting out. Then I could afford all the cars I wanted at todays prices, and build a building to store them in.

Deuces and CSPIDY like this.
  19. If it's and but's were candy and nut's what a wonderful Christmas it would be! :rolleyes: HRP

34 5W Paul, 49ratfink and Deuces like this.
  20. twenty8

twenty8

If I could go back to the 50's/60's I don't think I would want to come back.....:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    RRanchero Rick and Deuces like this.
  21. gold and silver is always worth something...

Deuces likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

"That means that if you had invested $10,000 in Apple in 1980, you would have about $6.7 million." But, for all intents and purposes, who had a spare $10k laying around to invest back then? Living within our means was all we could afford and did ok during those times.

Yes, we did invest in Apple with 100 shares at the beginning and it split many times over. So, when we needed the money for the family, it was sold and helped us out as it was planned for, from the beginning. Splitting the stock also worked for us in the IMB field, too. We had 25 shares around the same time and it, too, split and doubled, while allowing us to get more shares from the company in its own way. No other money was used to keep buying stock. So, it started to rise monthly.

We were in it for the long run, but again family needs came first. When we sold it, we had more shares than when we started and the extra income helped us out when we needed it. So, that was how we played the market. Not the way millionaires invest in chunks and then make a chunk more of money. Small potatoes just helped our family when we needed it.

Jnaki

Those times were not the moments to spend money on extra curricular activities, like hot rods or race car builds, although we thought about them. It was just living a simple life including our son. Not all roads were the same for all of us. So, our dad told us to invest, but we had no other money to invest, after buying a family oriented house.

Now, in the long run, that first house led to another house, to another house, and so on until we are in our last house. That was our investment, playing the long game and our lives are still simple/easy, while still being fun... AND, we are still in coastal So Cal for the future... YRMV

23. In 1973 I was offered a 1969 Daytona Charger,426,4 speed car for 1,200 bucks, young couple that had just got married and the car belonged to the bride and they needed something easier on gas.

I looked at the car,had the money and thought it was about the ugliest abortion I had ever seen,had I only had a crystal ball and known what the future would hold!

I still think they are ugly as a mud fence but darn they bring some big bucks today! HRP

Deuces likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

I agree they are ugly stupid cars, but some people must like them a lot, or the prices would not be where they are now.

Deuces likes this.
  26. ah yeah that was that new car they buried, and the concrete vault filled with water after a busted water main, so it sat in stagnant water for 50 years and got ruined. they restored it really well though, but it's still so fragile it can barely even be pushed around

27. I think that white car to the left, in back might be a 1958-59 Nash Rambler but it looks like it has two few headlights.

28. theres a falcon and a '57 ford wagon, as far as i can tell. it has the eyebrows of a '57 ford

29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

In 1971 I graduated high school and had been working for the last 2 years at 1.71 an hour, Had saved about 3000.
    My parents suggested to me I buy a 3 family that was for sale in town, had water views as it was 2 houses from the water. I of course said no, that property is a million Dollar property now, I bought a car to commute to college. Of course my parents did not buy it either.

Deuces likes this.
  30. .........and I bought this 50 crestliner in 1964 for $50 with a bad motor but no collision damage and no rust. It ran but overheated due to a cracked block so I shelled out another $15 for a used 53 merc motor and another $36 for rings, bearings and gaskets. Got a really nice '50 grille and decklid for Christmas that year. View attachment 5678582 and another $15 for the 4 barrel View attachment 5678583 [/QUOTE

funny, it looked like it had a 1951 grille trim on it. what became of that car?

Welp, that's a short story in itself. That car was sitting in my dad's driveway along with a 50 parts car, a super nice 41 tudor I'd bought and my 56 Olds rag top daily driver.
    I'd just bought a 40 standard tudor [$8.00]and drove it home, knocking 1st gear out of the 39 trans. I washed it all up before my dad got home from work. He arrived about 2/3rds drunk and in a bad mood.
    "Tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work, he says, you will have only one car on my propitty. If there's more than one, I'll call the junk man to come for them and I'll pocket the money."
    I towed all the fords to the nearby wrecking yard the next day with my olds and a buddy. I kept the 53 merc motor we'd rebuilt and kept the Olds convertible as I was making payments on it.