Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hi all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asa, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Asa

Asa

Hi all I’m a newbie on here and I’m after some advice. My wife’s 52 f1 has 8RT heads on it and we think either the head gaskets have gone or the heads have cracked now can I replace the heads with 8BA heads instead any help would be appreciated. Cheers Asa

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Welcome. Exactly what symptoms are you having to think your heads are the issue?

Just Gary and hrm2k like this.
  3. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

I would suggest you edit the thread title to something like:
    Help needed with Flathead head interchangability

to get more views and feedback of your thread.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    alanp561 and Just Gary like this.
  4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The pre '49 truck heads used to be a lower compression item. Don't remember the exact years those were used but any 8BA or 8CM heads from '49 to '53 will interchange. If using used heads have them checked for flatness and cracks. Mill them flat if needed. A small expense that can save you a large headache later. Use Best brand Graftite gaskets and follow proper tightening sequence . Torque to specs. After running about 50 miles re-torque when engine is cool and again after about 200 miles re-torque while engine is still hot. You should never have another problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your using new heads, mill those too! Mine were band new not flat and the mounting bosses were all over the shop! You can also dial up your CR a bit decking them.

alanp561 likes this.