Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 6-71 blower drive alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaddyO's..Deuce, Mar 18, 2023.

1. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Hey guys, I have a Weiand 6-71 that was originally on a BBC that I had. I built a new SBC and bought a Weiand blower intake for the SBC but now my drive alignment is way off. Are there different versions of this intake? Are there different snout options for this version? Any help would be appreciated, I'm kind of stuck until I get this figured out. Thanks Screenshot_20230317_185715_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230317_185709_Gallery.jpg 20230315_165412.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Weiand built the snout into the front cover on these older blowers, which complicates things for you. Small block and big block Weiand blowers use different front cover/snout assemblies. You gotta get the right one...or choose a different blower that has a separate snout, and get the correct length snout, or get a different front cover that will take a separate snout.

Or get a big block....which is usually the best answer.

Deuces, Tim, rmcroadster and 9 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

4. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Too deep into the small block to go back now.

Deuces likes this.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Change the front cover and drive snout to the correct unit. Without having the unit in front of me, there is a possibility of machining the cover to shorten it along with the having the shaft re-splined, But then, cost of doing that might become a factor. I would think that for tooling cost, it easier for the manufacture to trim to fit and existing cover then to create 2 separate covers that fit the same housing, Aluminum is cheap to machine upload_2023-3-18_9-58-28.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My small block with a BDS blower for reference...
    46 coupe 1.jpg

Deuces, mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. That looks like a very long snout for a Chevrolet,,,,,,you did check behind the pulley and make certain it doesn’t have a spacer in there ?
    It looks like it needs to come back about 2 inches,,,or whatever those standoffs are on the idler bracket.
    I’m not certain,,,,but always check .

Great looking setup,,,,,it should really haul !

Tommy

Deuces and DaddyO's..Deuce like this.
  8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Just switch to a regular GMC front cover & use one of the common drive snouts.
    The snouts come in different lengths.

671 front cover.JPG blower snout.jpg

Deuces, mad mikey, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  9. I just picked up a stock front cover for $10 bucks at a swap meet, then you can buy a tri-plate, seal and snout assembly from places like Good Vibrations which may have something in their pre owned parts section.
    https://www.goodvibesracing.com/Blower_Snouts.html

My 6-71 sbc setup is 3.5 inches and my 8-71 front offset bbc setup is 6 inches, of course that all depends on what's hanging off the front of the crank (dampener, 2 groove pulley, hub or what have you)

Deuces, DaddyO's..Deuce and mad mikey like this.
  10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

SBC/early hemi are the same alignment fyi

11. You'll also have to cut down those idler bracket standoffs or buy shorter ones
    Holley has some items on sale currently in their supercharger section, but like always, comparative shopping is suggested. Speedmaster stuff is equivalent to pro-comp offshore garbage, I'd stay away from their products.

12. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

UPDATE: Upon further investigation, apparently they used the same snout on SBC and BBC versions. The BBC version just has a 2" aluminum spacer. Pulled that off and now just need some shorter bolts for upper pulley. Will need to make some small spacers for the idler assembly, but that's definitely doable. Much closer than I was this morning. Thanks to everyone for their info. 20230318_221843.jpg 20230318_220202.jpg 20230318_221646.jpg 20230318_222441.jpg

Deuces, mad mikey, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Looks like you might need an older pump pulley also...

14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Learn something New each day,
    Like most that have replied , did not know that Weiand used the short drive with a spacer on snout , You pretty much saved on a $300 ish extra purchased ,

Deuces, DaddyO's..Deuce and mad mikey like this.
  15. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Thanks Tommy, you saved the day...and some of my greenbacks!

Deuces, 427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  16. That’s fine,,,glad I could help .
    Actually,,,,I just had a lucky guess ,,,,lol .

Tommy

Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.