Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using “3M EZ sand 5887” on plastic parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowRolling, Mar 15, 2023.

1. SlowRolling

SlowRolling

I used the 3M body panel adhesive/epoxy and was very impressed.

I’ve got 3 plastic bumper covers and a plastic rocker panel that are all scratched and gouged up pretty bad that I want to fill and sand smooth. I bought a tube of the 3M Ez Sand Multi Purpose Repair Material 5887.

My question is, do I have to remove all the paint wherever this 3M epoxy glue is applied. I do use adhesive promoter.
    Some of the gouges are deep and I’d rather not sand away the surrounding plastic so as to get into the bottom of the scratches and remove the paint. I was thinking I might use paint chemical paint stripper if the paint needs to all be removed.

Thanks !

190A75E9-2F2D-4A3D-8507-8B12CC155720.jpeg

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I prefer stuff to bolt together, as a matter of principle, to the point of breaking open glued joints quite savagely in order to do a bolted junction instead.

3. BJR

BJR

I don't believe Hamb friendly cars have plastic bumper covers or much plastic anywhere for that matter.

4. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Suggest you post this question at spiuserforum.com Bunch of guys there who make these sorts of repairs regularly and can give you accurate advice as to what materials and procedures will and won't work for a successful repair.

loudbang likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I think he’s just filling in scratches.

6. indyjps

indyjps

This thread will get closed soon.

Why not prep the area the best you can ? Sand the paint off the area, heavy grit scuff on the area you're applying the 3M

clem likes this.
  7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

8. Collision tech here...I would not use chemical stripper on plastic parts. Should be able to fold sandpaper and use edge to get in bottom of gouge. Adhesion promoter a must, or the 5887 will lift.

clem likes this.
  9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Really alot of HAMB friendly gassers have one piece plastic front ends...

alanp561 likes this.
  10. BJR

BJR

Arn't they fiberglass?

Lloyd's paint & glass and clem like this.
  11. Yep, FRP. Fiber Reinforced Plastic