Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Exhaust Pipe Sealant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Heard something new today. A fellow was saying that he always uses sealant on his exhaust pipe installs along with a clamp. I was taught that proper fitting exhaust pipe tubing only needed a clamp to tighten and seal everything up...

Comments?

2. When everything is just right 2 pieces of pipe fit together very well and a single clamp makes a perfect seal. Other times ... :mad:

SS327 likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that’s my understanding.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I was.surprised to see a sealant used in a late '60's GM Assembly Manual, it was called grease. After seeing that, we used plain old #2 grease, and a side benefit was a little easier movement while lining everything up. It will run out of the joints a little, but there was little if any smoke or smell from it. Now we use it on almost every exhaust system we work on.

5. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

I use copper grease on tube joints. The grease does dissappear with the heat but the copper thats left behind makes the joints easier to separate in the future.

2OLD2FAST, slack, Motorwrxs and 3 others like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the tips!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

used to use it on all clamped joints. pushed in through the slots then tightened up, doing it for $$ you dont want to be mucking around trying to find a little leak somewhere, I have a horrible feeling it had Asbestos in it :( but there are non Asbestos onesaround now

9. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I have used that exhaust sealer on doughnut and steel to steel bevel connections at exhaust manifolds and head to manifolds. Helps with slight gaps warpage etc.

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. hepme

hepme

I've used it several times, after seeing it done when i had an exhaust made for my 55 chevy. I was of the clamp fit seal also and then had a set of headers that i had to choose weld or exhaust seal-used the seal and it work fine. I like it because its a one time thing, seal it, clamp it--done deal. (another little trick i like is to use copper based rtv on manifold to head seals, either with or without gaskets--stuff actually does the job. Be sure its the 700 degree grade)

2OLD2FAST and Driver50x like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the testimonials I’ll use some then. I guess you’re never too old to learn something new!

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I saw they used it on one of those European car shows on TV. I always wanted to ask at the parts store, but didn`t want to sound like an idiot.

13. hepme

hepme

How would the idiots at the parts store know you sounded like an idiot??

2OLD2FAST, alanp561, slack and 2 others like this.
  14. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I've used a JB weld product for joints that wouldn't seal, that was after trying with just the clamp though.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam