Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 60 years in the hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 14, 2023.

1. BJR

BJR

Ok just going to be rambling here. Looking at some old car mags and thinking about all the cars I have owned or lusted after through my lifetime. Born in 1950, grew up in a great time for a car guy. I remember when the hottest cars around were early Oldsmobiles with the new Rocket V8. You would step on the gas with the Hydro in low with your foot on the brake, the back end of the car would raise up in the rear. You would pop the brake and floor it and lay one hell of a strip of rubber with your open rear end. The Corvettes got awesome once they got a V8, and so were the small Thunderbirds if you wanted a more civilized ride. Try five Chevs were the car to have in the late 50's, 60's, and 70's. Guys were putting first 327's in them, then 348's, 409's and later 396's. Try five Fords were cool but not that fast. (Talking about street racing in Minneapolis.) Pontiacs were the cool fast cars if you wanted something more upscale from a Ford or a Chev. You could get a 63 Grand Prix with a 4 speed, console, bucket seats, 421 HO engine, tac, and factory air with tri power and 8 lug wheels. What a fuckin ride. When the split window Vetts came on the seen everyone came unglued. They were the coolest thing around. We all wanted one, but just the rich kids got one. Not to forget the MoPar's. The 426 Hemi's were out on the street and cleaning up stop light to stop light also. Today I will not walk across the street to look at a try five Chev. Looked at them for over 50 years. They haven't changed much. What gets my interest today is the cars we wouldn't walk across the street to look at back in my youth. In fact we laughed at them, and the people who drove them. The 40's and 50's Chrysler products, Nash, Rambler, Hudson, Buicks, any of the true classics, a Nash Healey, Stude Hawk, or most station wagons. Any 4 dr car. These cars were never considered cool back when new or late model used cars except for the Hawk. Funny how a persons likes change through the years. So much for the ramblings of an old car guy, Brian.

Okie Pete, maneri, warbird1 and 15 others like this.
  2. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Owning three 57's, a 56, and two 55's won't stop me from gawking at one on the street.
    I'm still immature, I suspect. The term arrested development comes to mind.
    :p:p:cool:

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree with your accurate memory of your youth 100%.
    Every little detail in fact. Of course I’m referring to the same middle part of the northern states too.
    I too like the different models now. It’s funny how our tastes change.

Okie Pete, BJR, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I believe the change isn't the styles as much as the loss of slide rule engineering.
    When the odd duckling car is seen today, the memories of days when the trend was to ignore the off beat vehicles, are there. As far as the styling goes it doesn't change the fact that they were a part of the greatest era in man's history. So far
    The petroleum age

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Now 75 rears young and we have lived in the best of times car wise and otherwise, born carcrazy and still active in the car hobby. My interests have changed with time, now survivor and restored classics trip my trigger, if I would build/buy another hobby car it would be a restmod style, doubtful but never say never. I've Been there, Done that all my life and thank my parents for my being and some good advice " There are No excuses, Make it happen"

Okie Pete, Tow Truck Tom and BJR like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Wow that's hard to believe, thanks.

7. The oddball stuff always appealed to me. Cars in general. Sorry you're tired of tri fives. They bring a lot of enjoyment to a lot of car people and non car folks, too.

8. I was born in 1940. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I always liked hot rods and mild customs, and I still do. I remember going to the "Autorama" car shows in Connecticut in 1955 and 1956, and the Oakland Roadster Shows in 1957 and 1958. I didn't realize at the time what these experiences were to mean for me for the rest of my life. I am happy to have done them, and I would like to do them again, but I will never forget them.

Budget36 and Okie Pete like this.