Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lamintated Glass Source?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teched, Mar 14, 2023.

1. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Where does a person buy laminated glass that is suitable for DIY cutting? I'm in Central New York.

2. oldolds

oldolds

If there is a glass shop in town, they should be able to sell you glass. It is basically sold by the square inch. Utica might have a wholesale place but you would usually need a business to buy from them. If you are looking for glass to practice on, you might try a junk yard that has busses or trucks. Then you could buy a large windshield to play with. Used glass may have defects in it making it harder to get a good cut though.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, most any automotive repair, glass shop should have, or can get flat glass.
    All of our older cars have laminated flat glass in the side window, doors, quarter glass.

Being that we are so far from the 1960's, they may have to order it for you.

Google...is your friend..!

Mike

4. teched

teched
    from Utica, NY

Thanks for the info. I have a local glass guy I have worked with for several years. He charged $150 for a side window for my 1958 Mack B42. I felt that was a little high, but who knows with inflation. I have always wanted to try to cut laminated glass. Watched on youtube looked pretty straight forward. I have been told by a couple if guys to find some old bus wind shields to practice on. That seams like a good idea, but then i have to source them from a junkyard that deals with busses. Not a lot bus or .big truck junkyards left in NY.

5. oldolds

oldolds

There is a bit more to it than just cutting a piece of glass. The edge needs to be smoothed. That takes some time. At one time I had 3 places near me that cut glass. One that just rough sands it, you might get a scratch. Another sands it smooth, no edges. Another place sands and polishes the edges. You can guess how the prices ran between them. I have not had any cut in a while. The best place has retired and closed shop. I think they will still cut some if I need it, but maybe not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  6. I almost did the same thing as you but ended up paying for new glass..500 bucks for 2 piece windshield (think metro van)and 2 pieces of 24x24 for the side doors..150 bucks for a roll of universal gasket

7. Oh and I made the templates with 1/4" board

8. Mine comes from my glass supplier. I can order in multiple sizes up to 3'X5'. Any windshield shop should be able to get you laminated safety glass. It's what they cut equipment glass from.

9. I did a pretty good tutorial on here about cutting glass at home, don't remember where it went though. Glass prices here are $20 per square foot, plus labor. So a 2' x 2' piece of glass is $80, plus labor @ $40 per hour.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  10. Just let the glass guy handle the labor. In addition to cutting, he will sand the rough edge to a factory-like finish.

gimpyshotrods and 05snopro440 like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perspective is everything.

I wish I could find any one to cut any glass for $150.

12. This sexy beast will :D 20200629_171414.jpg

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the time I buy the glass, get you a plane ticket and hotel room, I will be over what the local charge is.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just have Lloyd take care of it when you go to Lloydfest. Consider it a twofer:cool:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  15. Need a way to ship this stuff cheap!

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shipping, cheap, and glass are terms that are unlikely to mix well.

51504bat and SS327 like this.