Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Metal Break Info...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’m looking at a budget metal break. I don’t do a lot of fabbing but I’m intrigued by this particular unit. It’s 48 inches and is “supposed” to be able to bend up to 14 gauge. Now I think that is a bit of hyperbole but I’ll only be using it for 18 gauge max. The thing is that it’s made of aluminium! My concern is that it may flex. Would welding a truss from end to end with a support in the middle, like you see on more industrial applications, be enough to stiffen it up? Comments welcomed!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  2. NoelC

NoelC

From the pictures you posted, yes.
    But I'd also question the choice I made to buy something with a need a to modify it. That sounds a bit off. Couple of reasons, one is, is it really money well spent if you have thoughts it needs beefing up, and two, have you got the interest, materials, and equipment to do it.

rattlecanrods likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm always of the notion that when it comes to sheet metal brakes or stomp shears you are better off to hunt down a decades old used one the right size. Not many of those for sale in the PNW right now though. Something like this Roper Whitney in Oregon Roper Whitney 48" Sheet Metal Brake - tools - by owner - sale (craigslist.org) That's in Aumsville that is east of Salem which is a long drive for me let alone for you. I'd keep an eye on equipment auctions too.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  4. patterg2003

patterg2003

Fitzee made a metal brake that bends heavier metal that looks like a simple reasonable build. He built and goes over it in detail. There are other videos on Youtube on home built brakes.

This is another good video.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I prob could bend 14ga, but not at 48"

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the vid links. I’ve seen Fitzee’s and I’ll check out the second one. Still pondering....

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I’m skeptical about the 14 gauge in steel but hoping 18 gauge would be doable.

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The thicker the material and the length of the bend plays a significant role. Too light of a bender will bend the ends tight and crisp, but the middle does not bend the same because of the machine flexing. Bring material to test before buying, giving you a chance to walk away