Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Best Ford Ever...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The Tudor Frieburger purchased comes to mind as well ...nothing against the Moreland sedan, but I love the simplicity of a '39-'40 Ford, with just a warmer over flattie or mild small block, lowered stance and blackwalls. Same for ANY older car. I know rodders demand more power, but I enjoy the flatty/ banger crowd just for " fine tuning" what the factory mostly got right!

chryslerfan55 and Deadbird like this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look great in other colors as well.
    DSC_3572 (4).JPG DSC_3573 (3).JPG

3. Come on @Moriarity everyone knows you need to replace those old dangerous Ford axles with a modern aftermarket set up to make your hot rod safe and drivable!:confused::D
    upload_2023-3-6_18-25-17.png

4. Exactly why I've kept my '40 too many door for over 50 years. And it's been in the family since July of '41...

5. B91C02CE-1F83-4594-951F-9E17AC5B0B8B.jpeg

That photo is most excellent!!
    Nothing wrong with your kids Ryan! But Fargos pic really grabbed me.

chryslerfan55, rod1 and 57 Fargo like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

@Ryan , I haven't talked to Dennis for some time, but I bet he still has it ! IMG_4717.JPG

7. My first 40 was a turn key Standard Tudor that I bought completely done with SBC, TH350 and Nova rear end. It had a completely chromed dash, new stock interior, new glass and ran cool. And it was completely rust free and never had any. It was my daily work driver for some time. $3000 back in 1980.
    We made several trips from Orlando to Alabama to see my Dad with never a hiccup. It was comfortable, smooth and spacious. The only change I made was changing the stock front brakes to 56 pickup drums. No more fade.
    My Dad loved it because he and a buddy drove a new 39 sedan from Jacksonville FL to California and back when they were 18-19!
    Guess that’s one reason I have my coupe now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    chryslerfan55 and Outback like this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The picture of the kids in the back is one to keep forever.

-Abone.

KrucksGarage, VANDENPLAS and 57 Fargo like this.
  9. I have liked the 40 ever since I built the AMT 40 Coupe model in 1985. It had two engines, and was one of the 3 in 1 series. I believe the other engine was an Olds. As an 11 year old hot Rodder, I of course installed the Olds. Beautiful lines, nice V-8, great job, Thanks Henry.
    I always find it cool that when talking pre-war cars, when people refer to them only by the year, it’s just implied that they are referring to a Ford.

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This car flat out rules....
    Clean, stance, sanitary.
    Bitchin'

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great looking 40. Don’t remember you owning that one. Don’t forget you do have a killer 38. :) 667658F4-F89D-4CFA-9DBD-AC077BB2BDDB.jpeg
    Love the kids back seat shots.
    Here’s one of my granddaughter during a covered bridge trip in the Covid era.

12. tippa77

tippa77
    from Finland

13. Hi Marty, was that at the Pile Up? Damn, I miss that event!

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah, back in ‘14.

chryslerfan55 and nosford like this.
  15. I was hunting for a 39 or 40 coupe when I stumbled upon my 39 standard. I knew i had to have it. I've since come t prefer the sedans over the coupes, not that I wouldn't love a coupe too. I have had a ton of old cars through the years and this is hands down my favorite one I've ever had. The fact i was able to save most of the original paint made it even better. They ride great, the drive great, I put a Pete and Jakes sway bar on the front and it handles like a go cart now. Drove it to Bonneville a few years ago with my club brothers starting in North Carolina all the way to Wendover meeting up with the bones in the middle of the country. Ill never let this one go. It a lifer.

IMG_4270.JPG IMG_2375.jpg 65437940599__E1E1A2FD-0D51-440F-B118-EFE451279DD2.jpg

16. Gotta agree, "practical" is one word, I'd also call it honest. I bought this mordor beater from a HAMBER in California.....it had nice upholstery and a strong flattie when I got it, I just tweaked some things to my liking and enjoyed the heck out of it. No muss, no fuss, just jump in, turn the key, drive, enjoy, park anywhere without stress. But ol' habits die hard, it went down the road (back to Cali) to make room for the next one.................
    004a.jpg

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know who in their right mind would gush over a pregnant VW lookin...wait, never mind.

I too am afflicted with the love of these tudor sedans. As many know I ended up with a 39 std, and today I damn near don't like the 39 dlx. I do, but the std checks more boxes for me. From the outside the sleepy old girl look will remain as it sports it's OG paint and tattered chrome bumpers. Inside, engine room, elsewhere, fresh, clean, restored, gently and sympathetically updated. To review there's a 4" dropped axle, HD gas tube shocks on all 4 corners, heavy duty rear sway bar, custom interior with bright trim that mimics the outside, my woodgrain, stock fresh 239 with dual exhaust, 12V for loud music, and too many "....and hey did you see that..." little details and fun to go over. They just happen as I go. I did rebuild the tool box and give her a fanny lift as seen in my build thread. I can finally see the finish line in the distance. My goal is kinda as described in blog. Fast? Nope, don't care. It's about the left elbow on the window as I cozy down the road. I want predictably boring, no excess input, no rattles or clunks, no leaks, no excess wind noise. No "...and all old cars just..." which is bullshit. They didn't. I barely have time to do it, when will I have time to redo, so I'm making sure I address each area as I go once and for all, I hope. Not only daily duty for me but road trips too. I can't see being disappointed about much. Love it...

chryslerfan55, slug, Outback and 2 others like this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The 1939 Ford Was A Important Part Of the Evolution Of Design That Succeeded... 118540764_10221578251633374_6637506358977310868_o.jpg

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a good place to ask. I really like the 37-8 and 39std headlight lenses. Has anyone ever put em on a deluxe, and does it look as good as my mind thinks it might? I did some searching many times, neve found one, and I have seen deluxe lights on others. Yes? No?

chryslerfan55 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  20. I agree. Here's my friend Pat's 40. It was his first car in 1958. A great car, and very nice guy. 1382.jpg 1381.jpg 1386.jpg 1387.jpg 1392.jpg 1385.jpg 1384.jpg 1388.jpg

21. WOW! That’s a great sedan! Is the color stock?

22. I think it is, but I'm not sure? He painted it, and did most all of the work himself.

hotrodA likes this.
  23. AC9F3609-A7A1-42B0-B360-C6AEB620A76B.jpeg

Absolutely love my 40 merc !!

it’s got an newer 8” diff in her but stock front end with a disc brake kit .

only thing I don’t like is the brake kit pushes the wheels out around a 1/2” on either side .

the car drives fantastic I would not change a thing about it . I’m almost tempted to put drums back on the front to get the wheels where they should be .

24. 6sally6

6sally6

[​IMG]
    Probably the ONLY 'more door' I would be proud to own !!!
    sweeet.......
    6sally6

chryslerfan55, Sancho, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  25. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

That one is done just right, man I love '39 sedans.

26. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having owned both a '39 Deluxe coupe and a Standard Tudor sedan, I think the Standard lenses - and headlight bucket itself - are narrower than the Deluxe items. Not to say it won't work, might take some massaging though?
    At one time I had scrounged up original lenses and bezels for our '39 Deluxe but never put them on. Our car used sealed beams with '40 headlight doors and a '40 Standard grille (one of those early Argentina repros). Those two changes seemed to confuse some folks and I kinda liked that... ;)

chryslerfan55 and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

National Street Rod Association progression, as they aged they gravitated towards more comfortable rides!
    T-buckets
    Model A’s
    32’s
    33-34’s
    Fat Fenders
    Tri-5 Chevys
    And newer

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. slug

slug

As you can see I'm growing to like my 39 std more every day. I had it sold and backed out. Told by some I was crazy but I think not. They used to be thought of as the step child by most including me but they have really started to find a permanent spot with me. I have more plans for it in the future but for now I like it just the way it is. All the 32's are gone and this remains.

29. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Well said, Ryan. I really like that 39 and the miles racked up as a daily driver is impressive. I have really fallen in love with my 40. I've learned so much with mine and already made some great memories. The road to the gathering at the roc last year was one of the best times I've had. My first road trip in a hot rod, solo for 500+ miles of two lane country roads. Something about these old cars... it's hard to describe.

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      335.2 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Deadbird

Deadbird

I finally got a 39 Coupe a few weeks ago. I need to make a few adjustments to make it more HAMB friendly, but so far I'm loving it.
    IMG-1352a.jpg