Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fake quickchange cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny2slick, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

DeSoto.jpg

How's this for phony!!! I had a bunch fooled with these DeSoto valve covers I had for a couple of weeks. The joke was on me, tho. I traded them blind for some dented chrome Chrysler ones that were worth about 1/10 of the cast DeSoto ones.

SS327 and 1952henry like this.
  2. HOTROD_02.jpg This is one that was purchased back in 1986 Scan_20230305.png HOTROD_02.jpg . Now in Austria. It was not a cheap date to buy one and mine was as cast finish. Probably the only guy that still has the receipt ! It was accurate enough to fool local circle track racers around here that ran the real deal.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    48fordnut, Jalopy Joker and Budget36 like this.
  3. primed34

primed34

Roll of half dollars would be more impressive.:eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I had 6 carbs on my '59 Vette 283. All stock aside from that. Fake hot rod but looked great and I enjoyed driving it. 'Nuff said.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy of mine cast and sold a number of fake quick change rears that bolted to a ring that was welded on the rear end of a nine inch or what ever else you could figure out how to weld the ring on. Here is one on the version of the "Munster coach" that George hauled around to most shows. I was sitting at a table at a car show in the Yakima Sundome where George had it on display and spotted it. Easily spotted as a fake most of the time though. Munster coach.JPG

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Old expression, (1940s) pertains to the pic above^^^^ "REAL GEORGE!"

7. I hope ya told him he had his shirt on backwards. ;)

SS327, twenty8, Bandit Billy and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He had his gold Jacket on when I saw him. I got up to shake his hand and one of those gotta to talk to all the big name folks just about knocked me on my butt racing over to do the Hi George thing.

wraymen likes this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two of the three cars in my shop right now have real quickchanges. One is Halibrand 201, and the other is a Winters Sprint.

J.Ukrop, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I would have thought fake was traditional.

You can't tell me that NO Hot Rodders in the 50's didn't fake stuff on their cars.

11. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

I have one of the Pro Car ones on my A coupe and I like it a lot.

It has fooled many a traditional rodder in the past. I managed to pick it up over 20 years ago from someone who imported it into Australia for a show car but the quality of the one that arrived was best described as poor it sat on a shelf for a long time with the original owner, after which time he decided to move it on for a really good price so I jumped on it.

I am not into polishing so I painted it with silver hammer tone paint and used seam sealer to seal between to two halves (that actually make it look like one solid unit). The other really neat trick is that I never liked the rear cover but guess what and original Frankland cover bolts straight onto the housing :)

Image from https://www.dynamicpitstop.com.au/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  12. I like them as much as the sound of loud gear drives that are trying to sound like a blower, but at the end of the day, whatever turns your crank, live and let live, who am I to judge what you like.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I’d disagree on the basis guys back then were trying to go faster and be better, etc. ie they wouldn’t have spent the time and effort to put a fake -name it- for a look. Because of the HAMB I’ve seen so many pics of 40’s and 50’s Hotrods, all of (well most) were no thrills, just made to run the best they could.

210superair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Funny I always looked at mine as more as a dress up item, same as an aluminum wheels. With a 2700 pound car, 550 HP tunneled rammed 427, 4:11 Ford 9" and M-22 performance was never an issue.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I...can't believe SO...many people want to talk about phony, fake...lying to the public, about hot rod car parts !!!
    Yeah...there it is, I also joined in to this phony thread.

Mike

'28phonebooth and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I guess all those guys painting their aluminum wheels to look like magnesium have to strip and polish them if they don't want some folks to tease them now?

17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

What...because I didn't want to be polishing them every couple of weeks..?
    Yeah, I painted them, now...I DON'T need to be polishing them...every coupla weeks.

As for the color...GOTTA pick SOMETHING...right ?

Mike

Tman likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So we're equating fake quick change diff covers to fiberglass bodies, or even body filler now? Really? I think a better analogy is fake Cadillac or Oldsmobile valve covers on a SBC. But whatever, as Blind Faith once sang, Do What You Like.

19. What about the gear whine?
    I guess a cassette turned up would work.
    I mean Bluetooth, or whatever it’s called.
    Or set up your nine inch really loose:rolleyes:

Seriously considered the ProCar one when they first came out, but already had built the Halibrand 201. They do look the best!

milwscruffy likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Case in point: Lakes pipes

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yup, I got that too.
    Custom straight cut spur gears for my cam drive.
    LOUD

perfect

XFLO CAM 01.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    winr, Blues4U and milwscruffy like this.
  23. Lakers are ghey unless they are functional.

BJR and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  24. Now I'm rethinking my entire existence. We argue who is the most traditional old school over computers and smart phones. o_O

RMR&C, 210superair, Blues4U and 8 others like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We even let the folks that were not alive before 1966 participate!

26. I get the hint ;)

27. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Lest we forget the dual chrome fake spotlights. Never did get that!

The37Kid likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As do I!

29. grdra1

grdra1

My coupe has a fake bolt on quick change, fake valve covers, front brake covers and lake headers and my Topolino has fake 10 spoke front wheels. Almost forgot about my new glass 34, Some parts just not available at an affordable price, All I could afford at the time, I don't give a rats arse what others think, There all mine and I love em all. 20211217_203908.jpg 20220121_155432.jpg 20210905_173334.jpg 20230219_163550[1].jpg

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Fakery will be rampant with the AI wormhole forming!

lothiandon1940 and Tman like this.