Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hershey swapmeet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt t, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Having moved to Pineville,Kentucky my son and I would like to attend with our wives.
    Could you guy's give information on times and days to attend. Motel reservations and favorite eating places.
    Thank you
    Terry aka dirt t

pkhammer and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. noboD

noboD

It is ALWAYS the first full week of Oct. Runs from Monday to Friday with the car show being held on Friday. Many vendors close up about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Lots of motels, B&Bs in the area. Unfortunately you missed the hayday, most of the big vendors only bring catalogs instead of truck loads of parts. Still worth going butt not like it used to be.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Never been to Hershey, but what ever swapmeet I went to, it was nice to look at the vendors booths. I was always looking through what folks brought.
    But begs a question, if one was heading to Hershey, would the now catalog vendors bring the part with them if you paid ahead of time? Just to save shipping cost.
    Heck, today you could peruse most vendors catalogs online well before hand. Maybe that’s what they think as well?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 5window

5window

Some will, some won't bring your parts. Still a great show-it's the little guys bringing stuff that are the gems. Bring a rain suit. Book early if you plan to stay over.

5. Wear comfortable shoes!:D

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Actually, bring a spare pair; you never know.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

True that HERSHEY has changed over the years. This will be my 55th year and when I first went everything was in the stadium area. Over the years all the flea marked areas have moved to make room for the Hershey Park expansion. At one time the parking area across the street from the swap meet was a small airport and planes would take off and land during the meet. Make your hotel/motel reservations as soon as you can, it was harder in the past but it still gets booked the closer you get to October. Bring clothing for all types of weather. I have seen 90 degrees and also snow showers, but rain seems to always in the forecast. Wear comfortable shoes as everything nowadays is on blacktop. In the 70's and 80's we would walk thru fields of mud. Make time for the Race Car Condition Run on Friday morning in the stadium. It's a fact that HERSHEY is smaller than in the past but you will have a good time if you are car people.

pkhammer likes this.
  8. richard crow

richard crow

its our last hope in the east. motel rates are through the roof get a room a few miles away if you want to save money. you will find what your looking for. the car coral is great

pkhammer likes this.
  9. ahshoe

ahshoe

Wear the most comfortable shoes …One trip thru everything is about 14 miles. Ask me how I know.

10. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Perhaps it has contracted a bit in terms of the swap meet- but nearly everything else is booming. The car corral is a show onto itself. The Friday car show is a full day’s fun. Food and hospitality around Hershey grows daily. There are dozens of nice restaurants and at least one big brewery thing. Hotels fill up fast, I make my reservations nearly a year in advance. You can stay half an hour away and save a few bucks. Don’t overlook the AACA Library which is next to the Green Field. They have a world-class literature collection open to the public. I missed a bunch more stuff, but you’ll run out of time before you get to half the fun.
    Go once, and you'll be back.

11. oldolds

oldolds

All the above posts are spot on. There is also the AACA museum. It has the biggest Tucker display in the world? You can easily spend 4 hours there. AACA membership gives you free admission. I think it is $12 otherwise

12. When I lived in Connecticut I stayed at Travel Inn, Frystown, Pa, I-78, exit 10 westbound, 717-865-4312. The rooms there are about half the price you would pay closer to Hershey. Then in the morning go to Esther's Restaurant for breakfast, I-78 exit 8 westbound, on state route 22. From there it is a half hour drive to get to the flea market. Most vendors don't open until around 8:AM. Call ahead to the motel now, because if you wait too long, you may be out of luck. PS, we had lunch today, 3 / 5, at Esther's restaurant on the way home from the Hamburg, Pa. auto flea market Good, food at Esther's, reasonable prices.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  13. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call Nick. Try a piece of their homemade shoofly pie too.

1lucky1 likes this.
  14. Thank's for your replies.
    Terry aka dirt t

15. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Pass The Torch likes this.
  16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to make it a loooong week/weekend. Fall Carlisle is the weekend before Hershey. I can't say for Hershey, but Thursday is about the best day at Carlisle anymore, plenty of vendors and not as many spectators. Gene.

17. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

We were a little disappointed with the AF last Spring. The changes made by the Track had carved up the Blue field and there was a lot of grumbling about the previous events cancelled by Covid- and the apparent lack of refunds. Now they say the Blue field is eliminated and taken back by the track for other purposes. I guess the majority of the vendors will be pushed to the fields outside the track. Last Spring, the car corral was very sparse as well. I think we’re going to skip the event this year and look for a different spring event.

Pass The Torch and crider like this.
  18. Every car guy and girl should experience Hershey. I live close and have been going for over 40 years. Hell, Jay Leno even comes sometimes.:)

pkhammer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

pkhammer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. pkhammer

pkhammer

Hershey is a must-do event for any pre-war auto buff whether a restorer or hot-rodder! Don't wait until late in the week to come though, come Tuesday or Wednesday if you can because the good stuff sells early! I know because I vend there and most of the best parts get picked up within the first two days of the event.
    We camp on site and do our own food so not sure about the best restaurants. I have a friend that books his motel room around the Harrisburg area which is about a half hour away. He says rates in that area can be had very reasonably.

21. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

22. sawzall

sawzall

FORTUNATELY I am only 90 miles and ususally only 90 minutes east of hershey.

honestly, great advice above.. so let me list the things you should not do

1. DONT speed on hershey park drive between hummelstown and the show (ask how I know)
    2. DONT say "i'll be back" to any vendor.. if you see something at hershey that you want, buy it, on the spot and take it with you.
    3. DONT complain about prices, negociate.
    4. DONT argue about what a given part fits. Either you, or the seller, or both are wrong.
    5. DONT try to pay with travelers checks, credit cards or crypto. bring cash

on the subject of hotels.. hershey (thanks to hershey park) is a tourist area, as a result, most local hotel / motels are somewhat forced to keep up to a reasonable standard of cleanliness / service. staying further away from town itself may lead to less comfortable / clean accomidations.

woodscaper and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. banjorear

banjorear

Great advice.

I only argue or bicker with or ridiculously low ball those vendors who are fellow educators trying to sell their parts. Otherwise, I always pay full price, no questions asked.

Just kidding....

24. 5window

5window

Sage advice. There are a few big vendors who will take a credit card. They'd have to be nuts to take bitcoins or checks-how'd they track you down? Cash is king-I read an estimate once that the average Hershey visitor carried $5000. Since that has never been me, be careful with your big pile of money. :)

25. banjorear

banjorear

In the 90's when Ford Sportsmans were the hot car, I saw a deal go down for $120,000 in cash. Buyer had it in a briefcase, just like a movie seen.

I was in my 20's at the time and never saw that much money in person before. I was pretty impressed.

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.