Register now to get rid of these ads!

**New Barn Find, you will not believe this**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by taskforceranger506, Sep 16, 2006.

1. thanx!! way cool!!!

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I read about a tank pulled from salt water by dragging it along the bottom a few years ago. It was rescued to be used as a memorial...might have been off a D-Day beach...can't remember.
    Anyway...despite the extensive rust, the tracks broke loose and rolled, allowing for a much easier recovery than expected!!!

Gotta admit though...the Russian tank looks NEW!

Now...if we could only locate a peat bog full of Deuces! LoL

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You're probably right. I'll bet they took a mint one out of someone's collection then drove it into that mess, shoveled it full, (check that last photo) then drug it out again so they could get these pictures. Definitely fake.

4. Slate

Slate

Cool! I saw some pics awhile back from a bog, a german tank in russia/ satellite state - diff than this one IIRC. Was in pristine condition. The site also had pics of dug up graves of mainly SS nazis by russians. That was creepy - skeltons with their insigina, etc. remaining!

5. Brad S.

Brad S.

That happened several years ago.

Since then that team has found several different tanks. What you don't see in those pictures are the Nazi markings on that T34. The germans captured that tank and along with many others formed T34 units. When retreating through that area they sunk many. The Russians are knocking themselves out trying to locate and recover these icons.

Here is a similar effort in Czechoslovakia.

LINK

[​IMG]

Having had the pleasure of helping rebuild a T34, T55, several Shermans, and a few half tracks on top of other efforts....I don't regret not seeing these up close.

6. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

Well if some of these guys ever paid attention in basic Chemistry class they would know that the lack of oxygen in the water and the cold temps that are prevalent year round in this part of the world will entomb anything for yrs even perhaps hundreds of yrs. To be fair, though, it was in a peat bog. Peat bogs are anaerobic - they hermetically seal whatever gets trapped inside. The crews that found and pulled this Tank out of the muck also have unearthed a many German Soldiers who have flesh attached to their corpses. The uniforms of some of these guys are remarkably preserved. I did some time in Russia on a few tours and I'll tell you one thing if you want to make a race of people pissy all the time stick them in this part of the world. It's down right Colder than an Igloo full of Naked Eskimos. Estonia Climate in general, the best time to visit is May through September, when daytime temperatures average in the 70s F/20-25 C, with nights ranging 40-60 F/4-15 C. Despite its northern latitude, Estonia's climate is relatively mild because of its proximity to water. The coldest months are January and February, when temperatures are in the 20s F/-7 to -1 C, although they can drop to -20 F/-29 C. Even in summer, you should take along at least a sweater for the cool evenings. The yearly water temp on average there in Estonia averages around 50 degrees. So I believe this could happen and not so that some one would take a Tank of this caliber and sink her in the muck just to film a fake find...To much trouble no matter what you think of Russians and the like of this part of the world. This article came from a Russian we are well acquainted with and have even worked with in Kazakhstan in 2002 during our Battle with the Taliban. So he wouldn't bring me a bogus article. Anyway hope you all enjoy this as much as I have.

7. Brad S.

Brad S.

Here's the link to the rebuild after being pulled from the peat bog.

LINK

Watch the little video and then scroll down.

Just watched the video and I guess you can see the helmut markings. :D

8. Here's the link a website, more pics & videos.

Yes, it's peat. They find 1000 year old bodies every once in a while that are well preserved. It's natures perfect preservtive.

They also got it running, see last link @ website.

At any rate, yes that's a beautiful thing watching real deal history coming up out of the ground in perfect condition. I'd love to have been standing there to help and go over it for the first time.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2825290

http://www.diving.ee/video.php?f=t34.AVI
    /

9. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

Blacksix,
    Great link bro,..I can only imagine from afar what these guys went through during the WW II era of battle. What a era of combat and to see something like this tank extraction and the other artifacts that are being taken from the Battle Fields of that time only enhances my respect for that Generation of Warriors. Gods Speed. WOW.

10. taskforceranger506

taskforceranger506

Hey cheer up old man....Don't worry be Happy.

11. Thanks to all you guys for the info. This stuff is totally amazing, and it's our history.-MIKE:cool:

12. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

damn, thats crazy stuff. i still wanan go dive the b-24 in the lake in cali! hell if i was rich that be the first thing id buy=)

13. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

that thing is great, good video too.

14. awesome thread, thanks for sharing.