Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100 Pages indeed! @J.Ukrop
    Many miles and tons of smiles! Thanks for taking us all along on the continuing adventure, of a true journalistic gear-head!
    Thanks from Dennis.

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Larry! So much fun hanging out in Oklahoma—can't wait to see where we cross paths next. And you're right. KOH is insane. When it's all said and done, I'll send you the link to my coverage. I'm still cleaning dust off all of my equipment!

Damn, what a great day. We need to do that again sometime!

Aaron really captured the SF feeling in those photos, didn't he? Come on over! My garage is always open.

Thank you for coming along!

Thanks Nobey! Watching that opening sequence makes me feel like it was a million years ago. I'm so grateful that Yama had the foresight to document the early days of the car.

That would be incredible. Count me in! I love seeing the car and bikes you guys are building there. Next level stuff!

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Break on through!

Thank you, Dennis! Thanks for joining in on the fun. I can't wait to drive it up to the PNW with the V8.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back in action! The other night, I went for a chilly roadster ride. Felt great to be back behind the wheel.
    IMG_1971.jpg
    Oh, and I've been slowly washing off the T.R.O.G. paint.
    IMG_1962.jpg
    Yesterday, I got a great piece in the mail from Andy Kohler in Pennsylvania.
    IMG_1980.jpg
    Old chrome 59AB fuel pump, freshly rebuilt. I met Andy while working on the story of his latest Model A for @Kid Rocker 's DicE Magazine. My friend @HelmuthBrothers knocked it out of the park on the photos!
    IMG_1823.jpg

5. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Speaking of writing, I'm excited to have a piece in the new Hop Up annual. I love working with their team, and it was especially fun telling the story of the Jerger family's '32 roadster.
    IMG_1830.jpg
    I believe this is their biggest issue to date. It's packed with cars built by H.A.M.B.ers, photographed by H.A.M.B.ers and written by them too. Long live print! IMG_1829.jpg

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sweet! Can’t wait to get to read it :)

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Waiting for mine, just subscribed with PAYPAL... Wish I had kept the subscription, let it go when things slowed to a crawl.
    But Joey's inserts kept me afloat, along with MANY HAMB bros. (HAMBbros! Got a great 'ring' to it, ya think???)

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you guys for the support. It's places like the H.A.M.B. that keep hot rod journalism afloat in this wild, modern world.

9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long live the printed word indeed!

As @J.Ukrop has so eloquently reminded us all, over and over, all of us gear-heads love to read about hot rods and anything automotive related.

Sure there is the ability to insert links to videos, which are very important, as well as still photographs, of both historical and current events.

But in the long run, it's the printed words, that are deposited here on the H.A.M.B. and other publications, that all of us read, and enjoy, around the clock, 24/7.

With the element of daily newspapers, that have faded over the years, its still great, that there is such a thing as a "automotive journalist" that can actually travel the nation, as a true reporter on the very things, and events, that keep's all of our interest's, alive, in such a manner, that is unique to the HAMB.

These machines are NOT dead, they have simply evolved into another form of electronic keyboards, whether its your laptop, or phone, or computer, or what ever device that we all have access to!

Write on Mr. U, write on!
    Thanks from Dennis.

ROYAL STANDARD 2 (2).jpg

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar ???: The Motor Mystery

In all my years of working on mechanical projects, I've never encountered anything as strange as what happened Monday morning. Before we dive in, I'll provide a little bit of context.

As of right now, I'm hard at work cleaning the second flathead's oil pan and prepping the small parts for paint. While I was doing that, I was arranging the first engine's return to Pismo Beach for a refund.

When I finally got ahold of the seller, he told me he changed his mind. The deal was off. I was stuck with the seized engine. Buying a locked up engine was one thing, but going back on your word is a different story. Needless to say, I was pretty upset.

I didn't dwell. Moments after hanging up the phone, I started formulating a plan. I'd pull the parts I needed off the red flathead and then give the rest away for free. I wanted to turn that whole negative experience into a positive one.

Before work, I unbolted the oil pan, oil pump and carefully removed the starter.
    IMG_2103.jpg
    The underside was clean. There was a little bit of sludge inside the pan, but not much. I studied the pieces and tried one last time to turn it over. Not surprisingly, it wouldn't budge.

I then took the pan into the garage and set the starter on the workbench. That was that. "Time to take pictures to pass this thing on to its new home," I said to myself.

Then, for whatever reason, I scooped up my Harbor Freight deadblow hammer on my way out. I hopped into the back of the truck and hit the clutch/flywheel. Whether that smack was out of frustration or despair or comedic effect is up to interpretation. "Did that just...move?" I asked. I hit it again, this time a little more strategically. Four or five taps later, I was able to turn the engine over, smoothly, 360 degrees.

I immediately texted David, who suggested that I inspect all eight bores. There was no deep scarring and only slight rough patches where the rings were. His reply, "It's worth a go!"

Later that night, I called my brother to tell him the news. He was excited, and asked what the plan was going forward. I wasn't exactly sure, but I have a feeling this is a strong engine. Per my measurements, it doesn't have a Merc crank, but it does have adjustable lifters, and it's internally clean. "That engine wants to live," he said.

I just bought a gasket kit. I'm going to clean everything up and get it ready to bolt back together. (Don't worry, I already liberally oiled everything). This motor is shrouded in mystery, but we're doing what we can to get to the bottom of it. I can't wait to hear it make some noise through those homemade headers.
    IMG_8528.jpg

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Dennis! I really appreciate it. As a matter of fact, I've been getting some great use out of my Smith Corona typewriter lately. I've recently completed two articles on it—one for an upcoming magazine feature and the other for fun. I'll make sure to post the former on this thread once it hits newsstands.

12. That's awesome you got the motor to turn freely, but since I know you're one who doesn't go back on their word, I assume you're still planning on giving away that motor for free? Right?? If so I'd be more than willing to be the one that receives this free motor. Let me know when I can pick it up.

Just messing with you! Way to make lemonade out of a lemon! I'm glad things are working out for you. The car is looking great!

13. Cubby47

Cubby47

Joey good for you making the experience work positive for you. Face it some guys just are takers karma awaits them!
    Like my pappy from Clinton Okla. said " son some folks bring joy by coming into a room .......others bring joy by leaving that same room " " make your choice !"

JalopyJimbo and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Positive, triumph's over Negative, every single time"
    The dude in Pismo, well lets just say, "Karma is a bitch", what goes around comes around.
    Super cool that the " DEADBLOW" hammer, had "LIFE" in it and the "RED FLATHEAD" is going to live and sing a great tune through those cool headers!
    Congratulations from Dennis.
    And happy "FAT TUESDAY" indeed!

IMG_7998 (2).jpg

J.Ukrop, enloe, Outback and 2 others like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joey- The HAMBer Mechanic
    This engine "wanted to be free"
    Great news for sure...carry on

J.Ukrop, enloe, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  16. ModelAMitch

ModelAMitch

Congrats on the Flathead freeing up, that must have been a good feeling! If you've got the room, hang onto it. You never know when you might need it.. Or when someone else needs to borrow it lol

J.Ukrop, winduptoy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. Hmmmm....sounds like someone's gonna get blacklisted....

Myself and a few others of the vintage parts selling community keep a "do not sell list" amongst ourselves. You don't want to be on it.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Typewriter Ribbon for Smith Corona, SCM, Royal, Adler, Olivetti, Olympia Typewriters Freshly Made in America.

No, typewriters are not dead. Amazon ribbons described above are $9.30. Now all you need is some carbon paper and onion skin second sheets.

I maintain that writers outlining a story and then using a typewriter end up with a better product than using a computer to cut and paste paragraphs.

19. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Love it man! I made it into the build thread on an even 100 pages in!

20. You da man, Joey. It's fun to follow along on your way to traditional hotrod excellence!

J.Ukrop, winduptoy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  21. Now I want to know what the hang up was, I had a feeling that engine was not stuck, your bores looked in too good of condition for there to be a major issue. Maybe a light layer of corrosion on the rings or something. Oh and also that seller backing out after agreeing to do you right is super scummy. Well now you have 2 flatheads, I see nothing wrong with that.

Edit: I just thought of something, is the oil pump locked up? I noticed that you removed it before the crank was able to turn. The pump is driven off the back of the cam by a small gear set and as you know the cam is driven by the crank. It may be possible the oil pump ingested something and now it no longer turns.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I wonder if the seller ever checks in here maybe he'd get the message. & Good on you @J.Ukrop for not naming & as shaming him publicly. You are the better man. Glad it has worked out in the end!

J.Ukrop, Tim, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can never have too many flatheads!:cool:

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A spare solid flathead is a wonderful thing for a young man who intends to drive them. They won't get easier to find. Better to store it under the work bench than to shove it up the seller's ass.:eek:

J.Ukrop, Outback, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  25. Nobey

Nobey

The greatest thing a man can lose, is his good reputation! Someone long ago said that and it certainly
    applies here. Anyway I'm happy the the flathead let loose and you can follow your dream once again.
    Can't wait for the next chapter.......

J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah it's not a runner yet. I'll put you at the top of the list if it is up for free!

Very well said. The honest hot rodders need to stick together!

Thank you! What a way to celebrate. I'll have to post a video of the first fire up. Although, with any luck, it'll be changing color soon here...

Hahahah it's funny that you say that. Whenever I'm at David's, he jokes that the hammer is my favorite tool. We need to make a HAMBer Mechanic sticker!

Thank you, Mitch. The plan is to hold onto both for now. Even though space is extremely limited, I think I can make it work.

JalopyJimbo, enloe, Six Ball and 5 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hammers are always my favorite tool haha. One of my favorites is actually a tractor king pin. Suckers heavy!

Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  28. you can store it at Hitchhiker's house of flatheads with no home....bit of a drive. But the storage fee is low.

Hamtown Al, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 5 others like this.
  29. I'll just leave this quick little edit here....

Adobe_Express_20230223_1234330_1.png

30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Resistance is futile"
    "Beat the "STUCK", out of it"

HAMMER MAN.jpg

winduptoy, J.Ukrop, Six Ball and 2 others like this.