Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Fords for sale, why so many?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Feb 11, 2023.

1. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I'm going to guess that you and several of the other commenters didn't actually read any of those 32 Ford for sale ads. If you had, you'd find that over half had clues as to why they're selling. 3 cars, all 32's, the fella said "health issues force sale". 3 or 4 others the guys are looking for trades, either for different cars or a different body style 32. Some said they just need to downsize their collection.

Everywhere there are car enthusiasts gathering online these days there are these posts that are afraid the sky is falling. No, it isn't. The market has gone up for the last 2+ decades and isn't really showing any signs otherwise. Whether or not the market does drop, I'll still have my collection until I'm dust.

Tman, Airborne34, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Olde Cars Belong To Olde Men....We Are Running Out Of Olde Men...Simple Answer.. THE 4 AMIGOS 2015 019.JPG

3. I was thinking that men keep getting older at least for a while until we don't. Anyway, I do know the older I get, the older cars that interest me and the more I can afford to spend building them. So, thinking there isn't a generation coming up that still appreciates the 30's hot rods seems a little short sided. Maybe the numbers of us that like this stuff is decreasing as a whole, but I don’t know that we can conclude that either. Anyway, pretty sure I was thinking this whole car deal was declining about 40 years ago too. I figure I’ll just keep enjoying it until either I am too old to, or we can’t anymore. As best I can tell, the sky is still where it belongs and I plan to keep owning, building, and driving this old stuff.

Lakeside65, rod1, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There's a lot of 32's because they've always been popular and a lot of them survived and escaped being scrapped.
    Add to that, any partial body components found laying around have been compiled into whole cars.
    Then, add the thousands of fiberglass and new/steel cars that have been built. UP 5 window and pickup, Brookville roadster and 3 window...

As for the sport dying? Hogwash. I was reading the "sky is falling" articles in Rod magazines in the 70's (50 years ago) stating all the OG rodders from the 50's were getting old and there weren't enough younger people to carry the torch.
    The person buying a 75k 32 isn't a 20 something starter in the sport, it's a 40's+ or retired person who's done well for himself, raised a family and has the financial means to buy it. Maybe he just sold off another special interest car and is essentially "trading up" to a 32, etc.
    What's changing is that many rodders nowadays are being more selective about which shows they attend (especially distant shows), rather than going to any & every car event in sight. Consequently, there's a lot of cars/owners that don't get out as often as they used to.

rod1, Tman, 05snopro440 and 3 others like this.
  5. Mo rust

Mo rust

Instead of just worrying about it, I decided to do something about it. I'm a hoarder of old ford tin and I make no apologies for it and I get teased because I have a reputation for never selling anything. The truth is, I'm just selective who I will sell to. People wanting to build a car to flip or are wanting parts that they can mark up and flip get no help from me. In the last five years, I've "sold" or given away four model A roadsters and one coupe. All of them I either sold at what I gave for them, usually 25+ years ago or I just made a gift of it. Always they went to someone who wants to join the hobby and had no idea where to start. Usually I would put one of my cars on my lift and show them what to do and get them the materials to get started. When I had a frame jig borrowed last summer, I built one frame for a friend that I gave a 29 roadster body to and I sold a pair of 32 rails that I went to Mississippi for to another friend and I helped him build his own 32 chassis. I also sold that friend a 31 Model A roadster body that when he has time, I'm going to pull the body our of my storage and put it on one of my 32 frames and I'll teach him how to build sub rails for the 32 frame. He's good guy, in his 20's and he's always wanted a roadster. He'll be able to say he built it too. I do at least one of these a year and additionally I can't count the times someone would come to me for a part for their teen agers hot rod build and I happily donate a frame or whatever they need. My only requirement is they build the car to keep. not to sell.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm waiting for the 36 3 windows to start flooding the market. Then I'll buy.

Tman, williebill, clem and 3 others like this.
  7. Me too!

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.
    David Wooderson

Atwater Mike and Tman like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

For the most part…only old men can afford a real deuce!

wicarnut and 05snopro440 like this.
  10. 05snopro440

05snopro440

You are awesome, sir. I'm glad to hear that you're doing what you can to help grow the hobby.

I grew up in the hobby, and now I'm in my mid-30's. It's unfortunate how much disrespect young people in this hobby often have to put up with if they want to stay in the hobby until some grey-hair decides they are worthy of respect. Good on you for breaking the barrier.

williebill and seadog like this.
  11. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Lots for sale but I'm not seeing prices drop. When I can pick up a nice Deuce for $15K then I'll say their popularity is in decline.

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can write a check for just about anything I want including a 2023 Corvette, 32 steel Ford, or what ever. My problem is it will park outside. No room for a YouTube “pole barn” on my property and at 78 I’m not moving to start over. At one time I wanted a 32 but it wouldn’t be enjoyed as I was too cheap to do it.

Tman and 05snopro440 like this.
  13. probably ain't never gonna be no last old guy in the world......but if there is he's gonna be the one that says .." naw, I don't wanna sell it, I'm gonna fix it up one of these days"

14. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

If you thumb through the back pages of the Hot Rod classifieds years ago, always seemed to be 32's among others in various stages advertised, even before the reproduction market took off, what great prices too!

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't know about anyone else but the asking prices I've seen for most old cars, 32s or post war 50s-60s era stuff, have gone through the roof. My personal opinion is that when it comes to 32s, is that the market was hot for them, a sort of old car status symbol. That fact coupled with recent inflation has bled into the old car market where you'e getting guys who are willing to part with their car trying to ring the bell on sales price, and take advantage of both a hot market and high values across the board.

My wife has said that she wants a car of her own that is a turn-key driver, not necessarily a perfect car, but one that might need some minor tweaks mechanically or styling-wise but is otherwise a reliable driver. So we've had our eyes out on the market, especially for hardtop customs. If there is a notion that people are aging out of this hobby and selling off, that might be the case but they're looking for absolute top dollar on their way out the door. In that regard, I think the current market is indicative of what has happened to the economy as a whole. Eggs are $6 a dozen, and you can't go to the grocery store without spending $300 for the week. New F150s are damn near $100k. Home prices have surged 25%+ in the last couple years. The collector car market seems to be pricing the vehicles to reflect changes elsewhere.

16. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^This!

17. Squablow

Squablow

This is another thing I've seen, getting slightly off topic but there are very few "drivers" for sale in the median price range. 90+ % of the stuff I see for sale is either "ultimate show car best of everything 8 miles since finished $$$$$$$" or a huge project that needs a ton of stuff and the seller is dumping it because they don't want to spend the time.

The proven-reliable drivers that show some wear but are solid and roadworthy seem extremely few and far between when it comes to cars for sale. It's hard to get an idea of prices when the only stuff that seems to be for sale is stuff guys are trying to recoup their $100K build cost on, and stuff that needs years of work to be driveable (but still aren't cheap).

The drive-it-anywhere cars that could use a few things and are moderately priced are rare, and sell quickly. The selling market is fantastic if that's what you're selling.

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The problem is those median cars are priced closer to the top end because they appear finished with good interior, nice paint, reliable engine, etc., but if they were to be redone, they need all the same work as the car for sale with no paint or drivetrain.

19. But then you gotta leave the younger girlfriend at home!

BJR likes this.
  20. 43willys

43willys

As a late 30s hot rodder who grew up in the hobby, 32s are always going to be a thing. Sadly as much as I wish I could own a 32 kids and other life things keep me from currently owning one. Now with that said I do own my 36 Ford sedan and have been working hard on it for a few years now and put every spare dime I can into it. Btw it has a rebuilt flathead and is being built in a 50s hot rod style. I have a friend that just in the last year bought a two door 32 sedan and he is only a few years older than me. Dont give up the ship us young guys are trying.

21. 1929rats

1929rats

I think there will always be a demand for the 1932 Ford cars (real or Brookville and glass), but, it's taking the "younger generations" a lot more time and money to get our hands on them with how much everything else costs....especially here in MA, but that's another story for another board.

Thanks for all who posted. I enjoyed everyone's thoughts and perspectives.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  22. plan9

plan9

Very true. If I have to find the junk, negotiate prices for it, haul it all home, store it and list/ship parts; I consider that a win for everyone involved.

Squablow likes this.