Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 F100 father and sons project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhitewallWill, Dec 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

12's in the quarter!!! I'd like my I-6 to do that!

2. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I'm pointing us in that direction. If we come up short, Oh well. Horsepower calculator, guessing at the weight, says we need 407 horsepower to push 3500 lbs down the 1/4. The horses leaking throughout the drivetrain will vary our results.

brEad likes this.
  3. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Ok, back from Holiday weekends for a while. Cold and didn't feel like laying on my back under a truck. Welding up rust holes from old mirrors. Did the job then see I have a low spot. I have done some research to find that hitting the low with a torch then blowing with air can bring it up then send it down tight. Never done it and think it's worth a try. Anyone have any tips on how hot, colour of metal, do I bring up a peak then cool it to send it flat. You can see I have a skim of filler under the surrounding paint so I could leave it and bury it but, trying to acquire more skill. Haven't had the welder out for a while. My skill has regressed.
    20230225_121941_resized.jpg 20230225_125829_resized.jpg 20230225_134701_resized.jpg

guthriesmith and MRW1994 like this.
  4. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Don't know how dudes with R.R.d's can sleep. This stuff drives me crazy. Left it as long as I could while I tackled other stuff but, welder's out. I do way less panel beating and bending and a whole lot more cutting and welding. I'll make the piece then scribe and cut out the old. Once out it's tack in place then make the skin, fit then weld it all together. Sunny and warm out today after 8" of snow last night!!?? I've got until nightfall to finish this.
    20230226_101310_resized.jpg 20230226_125837_resized.jpg 20230226_132432_resized.jpg 20230226_132715_resized.jpg

guthriesmith and MRW1994 like this.
  5. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I put a real time deadline on this - good one. Still have to pretty it up. Didn't get to the door skin. Battery crapped out on my helmet so welding with my eyes closed. Bottom edge of the door is a little rough. Might chase this one a bit more. Seam will be under the weather stripping.
    20230226_145236.jpg 20230226_172206.jpg

guthriesmith likes this.
  6. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I get ya with the RR thing. That rust would bother me too. I have 3 spots on the 55 Chevy truck that bother me. Someday....
    Nice work on the patch Fitzee Jr. :D

7. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Ha ha, without Fitzee our truck would not be in the condition it is today!

8. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

On to the door skin today. My brake is a place holder with the box back on the truck. That was where I clamped and bent stuff up. So just barely beyond a dirt floor, I make myself a door skin for my repair and ended up making the wrong corner. No problem, will probably have to do all four eventually. Clamp, hammer, cut, grind, weld.
    20230304_130448_resized.jpg 20230304_132018_resized.jpg 20230304_135540_resized.jpg

Toms Dogs and jaracer like this.
  9. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Dang, Set the grinder down with a fresh flapper on it, lazily catching my finger tip across the edge taking a 1/4" of finger nail off while hacking a nice smile into the tip of my finger. Zowee. Little self surgery - end of the day. Hot tip - Restock your First Aid kit. Reached for mine and realized I used up all the good stuff patching a dude's face up while mountain biking. Safety first.
    20230304_152840_resized.jpg 20230304_154208_resized.jpg 20230304_165215_resized.jpg

10. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

First aid my ass! Do like Ol' Mike and countless others......wrap it with a piece paper towel and some electrical tape and get back to work!
    But seriously Will....very nice work!

And I don't see much blood on the piece, so it couldn't have been too bad!

11. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Ha, ha, thanks Mike. You're right, electrical tape works excellent! I have hockey tape on it now because my electrical pouch is in the tool box under the door. Went back out and primed the patch.

Got sent home once from the hospital without getting stitches with a comment from the nurse to come see them earlier - Not your electrician, the next time you attempt to put a zipper where it doesn't belong. He did a good job, and it held but, with no stitches it leaked for about 3 days.

12. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Super glue works pretty good for the damage that don't stop leakin' right away!

13. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Oh ya, that is a really good reminder for restocking my bike kit. My old neighbour is an Emergency room Doctor. He swung by to glue up my kid's head when we had a gusher flowing once - one and only time I've seen that trick in action. Forgot about that escapade!

14. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Looking at the door on my bench with a plan to bolt it back on today but, now looking at the other lower corner - it needs attention. It'll never be easier with the door sitting flat and the corner I made wrong yesterday ready to go.
    20230305_143134.jpg

15. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Lucky, both lower corners are 90 degrees. Inner corner took a small patch then the skin. I'm priming with a brush now which is a bit ghetto but, I sanded yesterday's with 600 wet and dry and it's better than a spray bomb. All the spray bomb etching primer I've done so far is flash rusting. I'll eventually do a 1 skim fill for each of our exterior patches then colour match the spray so if the primer is a bit shaby I can sand it smooth. I see I have a few pin holes here and there but, it looks way better than our earliest patches.
    20230305_143932_resized_1.jpg 20230305_153904_resized_1.jpg 20230305_155455_resized_1.jpg 20230305_163942_resized_1.jpg 20230305_165423_resized_1.jpg 20230305_173446_resized.jpg

guthriesmith likes this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice work Mike. You mad the right decision to do the 2nd corner at that time.
    Are you using weld thru primer on the back or just primer?

17. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

He's Will.

I'm Mike!

18. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Lol....ooops. sorry bout that.

Cooon and Mike Lawless like this.
  19. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Wait - who's on First?

Weld through primer on the back of the skin. Brushed on the inner structure. The door skin isn't welded to the inner but, rather a friction clamp. By hammering the flange over onto a piece of sheet metal it takes a pretty aggressive tap to install it on the structure. I shaped the curve by pressing down over a pipe to get the shape of the door. It takes some heavy G force to shape it with the flange. I left a 45 deg corner of old door skin behind the new piece to hold it in place then cut and butt with the skin in place. It's brilliant and another Fitzee free trick. Cut the old door skin to get it right of your way at the door edges, tap into place and the whole thing is tight and hands free to weld.

20. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

March '23 is rocketing by and I don't have a fraction of what I wanted done over the winter. I decided to throw the exhaust back together. 2" from the exhaust manifold to 3" adaptor to the muffler back. $12.00 and she's up and running again. True to our objective, from here on out, nothing too big that would render the truck undriveable. Bolt the doors back on, hook up the tach and fire it up. April insurance back on it. I'll weld the adaptor but, will weld a bolt flange either side of the muffler then make another flanged straight pipe to sub in if we want to delete the muffler later when our stuff out back is running which could potentially muffle it enough to leave the muffler out. Wire coat hangers to hold in place while I fab. Hoping it sounds like the UPS truck.
    20230311_124607_resized.jpg 20230311_151407_resized.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Toms Dogs and guthriesmith like this.
  21. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Cars and Coffee today and it ended up getting to 14 deg C/58F. Great spot at Spanish Banks looking at the Ocean and the North Shore Mountains - no pics as the shadows were horrendous. Raft of OT cars but, hey it's an outing. Pics in the driveway weren't any better. Took a sound bite video of our 3" exhaust today. Didn't sound that great but, if I can get one of my wingers to post it - stay tuned. It isn't the split exhaust manifolds yet, just 2" to 3" transition. I was expecting a bit, more base and I know I've gotta get this thing out of my head where the 6 has to sound like a V8. Gotta do something about the patchy Palomino Pony look too!
    20230318_161411_resized.jpg 20230318_163716_resized.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    guthriesmith and osage orange like this.
  22. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Installing the tach. Trying it straight up because the odometer doesn't matter. Walked the aisles of HD looking for something to hide the worm clamp install on the column. Will have to make something.
    20230319_153550_resized.jpg 20230318_190734_resized.jpg

23. Can you use a piece of black, half inch shrink wrap to cover the worm clamp?

WhitewallWill likes this.
  24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Looking great Will!!

What is the plan for wheel color?

25. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Thanks Phil. I ended up wrapping with black electrical tape. I was looking for some kind of clamp I could polish. The column still needs work so not going to fuss about it too much for now. May end up trying the tach on an angle so keeping it temporary-ish.

Thanks NashRodman! Gold all the way.

pprather likes this.
  26. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Diving into the mastery of multi-media - NOT. 3" single exhaust startup and run. Haven't tuned out the stumble yet - propane carb. Oldest kid posted the video, youngest snapped the photo - what a team. Driving to work tomorrow.

f100good.png

Toms Dogs, Mike Lawless and Cooon like this.
  27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

What a sweet sound....and that picture!!!!!
    :cool::cool::cool: Wow

28. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Thanks but, as we all know, beauty is skin deep. I learned on the way to work this morning what the stumble was as I was heading down a hill and suddenly felt like I had no brakes. Quick downshift, pull on the e-brake and round the corner with my heart in my throat. Figured out the booster failed and I had manual brakes not NO brakes. I started cleaning up the booster a few months ago and abandoned that task thinking it was on borrowed time. Likely a vacuum leak through the booster as it's looking pretty ancient. Going to keep driving it as I once had an F100 with manual brakes and this is less effort than that one was. New booster coming. Don't judge the raggedy building paper - it's temporary.
    20230329_080358_resized.jpg

Mike Lawless likes this.
  29. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Wow, found a Rac gauge Bezel on E**y this morning. I'm in awe. Fully chrome cast bezel. Hard to contain my excitement. On it's way soon. Also tuned out the Stumble with my, new to me, vintage tune up goodies courtesy of a friend from work. Mentioned to him I needed to get a vacuum gauge and the next day he gave me these nuggets of gold - Free! Picking up a case of Guiness for him to fulfill the good neighbour policy.
    Racbezel.jpg Racbezel2.jpg 20230402_080108_resized (2).jpg

30. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Gauge panel looks awesome.