Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4x2 Carburetor Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by straycat60, Feb 12, 2023.

1. straycat60

straycat60

Does anyone have any recommendation as to what is the best carburetors to use when running a four Deuce setup? I have a set of rebuilt Holley 94s but my cylinders are filling up with a lot of fuel. I've had the carbs off and pressure tested four times and they hold I have good compression so I'm at a loss as to what's going on. Thanks for any help or information.

2. How much fuel pressure are you running? Is it possible the floats are sticking?

Tim likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My guess is the fuel is leaking down after you've shut the engine off. Even good carbs can leak down once engines are shut down, and the constant pressure tries to bleed down. I'd suggest going lower than normal pressure to avoid this leak down. Down around 3.5-4.0 psi might alleviate the issue.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Strombergs take 2.5 not sure what what holleys want but I’d guess it’s pretty close to the same

John Lee Williamson likes this.

5. Its even worse now that our fuel is full of alcohol. The fuel boils in the float bowl.

One thing I have done in the past is lower the floats a little bit. With multiple carbs starving is seldom a problem unless you are running mill that is built to handle all fuel. This helps with the fuel overflowing when hot.

dana barlow and Tim like this.
  6. straycat60

straycat60

7. straycat60

straycat60

I haven't even been able to run this car long enough to do a lot of checking it runs a few minutes and then just fills up with fuel and shuts down and is incredibly hard or impossible to start after that. I'm running the stock model a fuel tank I do have a pressure regulator on there but I can't get it dialed down below 5 lb or so. Years ago I had a three Deuce set up on a similar engine in another Model A with Rochester carbs and never had a bit of trouble

8. straycat60

straycat60

I have a new Holly fuel pressure regulator on the car but can't seem to dial it down below five or six pounds, not sure if I have a bad regulator or not. I also want to add when I crank the engine over I removed the spark plugs and several ounces of raw fuel poured out of a couple of the cylinders but yet when I check the carbs the floats are not sticking and when I put pressure on the carbs the needle and seat are holding.

9. Remember this, any gauge is most accurate in the center of its range. So zero to ten then most accurate at five.

5 or 6 pounds is a little high for those carbs. Where your gauge and regulator is placed in the river is pretty important, you want the gauge as close to the carbs as possible and your regulator as close to the gauge as possible. You may want to bite the bullet and get a return regulator, that is one with a return line to the tank. A lot of that depends on your pump. Some pumps require a return line to the tank.

big duece likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They make a completely different, but similar looking, pressure regulator for the low low pressure you need.

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Stop what your doing, An change the oil !!!
    Then Carry-On, Any time you flood out an engine to this degree, the crankcase is full of fuel!
    The stock A tank has a shut off for a reason, gravity is the factor here.

12. straycat60

straycat60

You're right, and I do not have a shut-off valve right now so I'm going to install one on the a tank like it used to have. Is it possible regulator? I bought it new it is a holly low pressure with a clay Smith gauge

13. straycat60

straycat60

I bought a holly low pressure regulator with a clay Smith gauge that screws right into the regulator it is mounted on the firewall very near the carbs. I'm using the stock model a tank but I did not install a shut-off valve for the fuel I think that's one mistake I made there

Tim likes this.
  14. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

What are you using for a fuel pump

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Either way, just read you have the reg. On the firewall, as mentioned 3-4 psi , an a shut off, you'll be fine

16. straycat60

straycat60

17. straycat60

straycat60

Stock GM mechanical pump I've replaced it several times just to be sure that wasn't the problem. I can't get the fuel pressure below 6 lb and I believe I should be about a pound and a half to 2 lb. Wondering if I got a bad pressure regulator even though it's brand new I can't seem to dial it down below 6 lb

Tim likes this.
  18. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

They make two different I believe, need the other...
    If I remember rite, I stripped the blue paint off mine, An it's set at 4psi. For two Carter's...

19. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Well that pressure will NOT work ! Try running just the gravity feed to the carbs . By pass the fuel pump .

clem and hrm2k like this.
  20. straycat60

straycat60

I bought the low pressure one from Holly it adjust from 0 to 4 or 5 lb I believe but when I crank the engine over it goes up to about 6 lb or so no matter how much I adjust the regulator that's why I'm wondering if I got a bad one

gary macdonald likes this.
  21. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Shit happens....
    You get it regulated down, Put a shut off in ... Don't forget to use it!!
    Or change the oil every time...
    You'll be fine!

22. straycat60

straycat60

Good advice, Thanks

23. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@straycat60 ……I see you are in Maryland. You might try getting in touch with J.B’s Machine Shop in Middle River. The owner and his son are both 94 and Stromberg gurus. Good to deal with.

24. straycat60

straycat60

Thanks, I'll try that. I didn't think just the gravity feed would be enough to supply those carbs, but I'll find out.

gary macdonald likes this.
  25. straycat60

straycat60

They are about 25 to 30 minutes away from me so not too far. I've used them from time to time with great results on machine work. Had no clue that they knew their stuff about carbs as well I will get in touch with them if I can't figure this out. Thanks

26. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

It’ll work for static testing and setting the timing and adjustment. It will Probably starve out at wide open .

straycat60 likes this.
  27. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

currently doing my 283 102DC338-FB5E-4974-9AA3-C5CEACDB3C34.jpeg

Deuces and straycat60 like this.
  28. straycat60

straycat60

Is a great looking setup. What carbs are those? Also where did you get your linkage? I got mine from Charlie price at vintage speed.

hrm2k likes this.
  29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the carbs are Stromberg 97’s. The linkage was on the unit when I got it from Mark Moriarity. I think he said he made the black part of the linkage quite a while ago