Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 6, 2023.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thanks Ryan, just think of us as your eldest sons. Wait your younger than us, That's ok. :) We have learned to be nicer.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the photos of it, It's a race car and it is supposed to have some wild paint on it, Sitting here reading comments and started thinking that it would have fit right in at the 73 Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa. That paint job might even be a bit tame compared to some of the cars that were there.
    Jack Chisenhall's roadster is a car that just flat grows on you when you see better quality photos of it and not just that side shot that was taken when each car rolled up on stage. That is going to be one car that stands the test of time too, Ten years from now it isn't going to be that outdated and forgotten AMBR car like a lot of them we have long fogot about. Those "official" side shots aren't all that flattering to a lot of the cars in that batch.

Just Gary likes this.
  3. The show was great this year! So many spectators, and the quality of cars was unbelievable. Cant wait for next year!

curbspeed and Special Ed like this.
  4. Curt Six

Curt Six

...to some, but not all.

(Decorum aside, Nick's comment was funny as shit.)

Outback likes this.
  5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

9. Yeah, Skip Readios sedan come to mind from that era

[​IMG]

10. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I'm really glad that this place can have a civil discussion about my car, as I had no idea a couple of stripes could make grown men so damn angry ... to the point of outright hatred and personal attacks. That said, it kind of bums me out that it took over the AMBR threat. I'd be more than happy to discuss my thinking, inspiration or whatever you like. I'll leave it to the moderators decide how and where to go about it, if there's interest at all.

Outback, Sancho, unforgiven and 10 others like this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Church
    As a graphic artist, and as an old tye dyed hippie, and gear head, I totally understand, the concept of the cool, kick ass, candy stripe, semi, roll of assorted lifesavers color's that went into that killer paint job!

Sure, its controversial, to some of the more conservative purist, but, in my humble opinion, that car and the paint job, is pure high end, totally radical automotive artwork, that is more than functional, on all levels.

I totally dig what you created !

I am sure Ed Pink would have thought it was cool too!

You have nothing to apologize for!
    Thanks from Dennis.

Ed Pink (2).jpg hoodlum wrapping paper full black dot.jpg

Outback likes this.
  12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

It's funny, I saw on some social media posts today some well know California guys trashing one of the AMBR contenders car with nothing but childish comments while singing the praises of other cars there. Like you said @Ryan who makes anyone's opinion the end all, be all. Maybe it's how I was raised but I'm of the opinion if you don't have anything good to say then keep your mouth closed. The world's full of enough shit talkers and keyboard warriors, our hobby can do without. The event and car gatherings in general are all great but the trophys really don't matter at the end of the day other than to boost someone's ego...

13. You made rolling art, congrats!

" Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” – Andy Warhol

curbspeed and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Brookville Roadsters are not Fords they are replicas of Fords. They shouldn't be allowed in the judging, should be real cars not replicas.

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I like the Tom McMullen influenced Roadster, but this car is super nice. Congrats to the winner. As for the 34 Coupe, it is definitely influenced by the "High Impact" multi colored '70 Cuda advertisement car. Whether it's loved or not, people are talking about it. Kinda like the PPE of 20 something years ago. Ryan, you have a PM ..........

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Mpls 40, Just Gary and Tman like this.
  16. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Hey @Church: Absolutely, please give us your thinking. I was tempted to lurk and listen at the GNRS because a legit looking interviewer with a pro video camera on sticks had just asked you to talk about the car and you said something along the lines of, "Well, I could talk about this car all day..." I was intrigued but didn't want to be a distraction, so I kept walking. Let us in on the concept.

17. Nacifan

Nacifan

Screenshot 2023-02-08 205441.png
    The 2023 GNRS judges in action. I recognize Eastwood, Erickson and Brennan

Outback, anthony myrick and Just Gary like this.
  18. Karen?

19. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coby, I really like that coupe. Just because some people don't just proves you can't please everyone and you shouldn't try. You make what you like and be happy. As someone on the Internet once said, "Haters gonna hate."

20. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Definitely @Church , start a thread on the car and fill us all in. It’s cool as can be but I’ll readily admit I wouldn’t have had the nuggets to push the envelope with the paint. I tip my hat to you for doing so. This car will be a topic of discussion for many years I think.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

22. Boatmark

Boatmark

I have to admit the Coby coupe paint is growing on me. I couldn’t do it, but I’m in favor of cars that give convention the finger.
    My first thought was the colors came from the paint on TC’s helicopter on the Magnum P.I TV show. (The original series)

Really digging Cody Walls Buick. The car is just flat cool. Really like the trim / details / texture he does on his interiors.

I like the AMBR winner - I’m a sucker for deep black roadsters.

All in all I like what I saw in all the photos. A good year. Although I admit seeing PGAN’s pickup did give me pause.

Just Gary likes this.
  23. Curt Six

Curt Six

Yep, Larry Erickson and Eastwood to the left of the tire, then Don Lindfors, Jeff Karls (I think), Brian Brennan and Tom Vogele. And they're all thinking, "Needs stripes."

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE!----------BUT how many actually are street driven!????

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love how much this car bothers people, especially when they have no work of their own to present for public judgment.

Hot rodding was not ever, and should not ever be about conformity and compliance.

As for examples in history, there are plenty.

I find this work inspiring, in a way that yet another cookie-cutter car could never even hope to achieve.

26. It's America's Most Beautiful Roadster. I don't see the word " Ford" anywhere in the title. Jeezuz, A Chevy of all things won last year. The travesty!!!! I'm going to try and enter my new Brookville 29 style roadster in it someday. Using "your reproduction orchard posts". Should I use stock Ford windshield posts or yours? Huh?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  27. curbspeed, Hi, we do thrive on free speech and opinions. Mine doesn't make me right it's just my opinion. Build your 29 with my posts and have fun in it. JW

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    Outback and curbspeed like this.
  28. Brad Ley

Brad Ley

To many politics involved. All you have to do is look at who owns the car, who built the car, who painted the car, who did the interior and so on. It's a nice car don't get me wrong but............just sayin.

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  29. "One of these years I'm gonna go out to the GNRS in California!" I've said that about 300089 times and as close as I got was attending the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours 'de Elegance. I'm happy for Jack and as to Coby's 34? Welp, lets just say I like my 34's a little more "toned down" when it comes to paint as per my avatar. But I gotta say, I absolutely LUST for some of those paint colors on the 34! That bronze color is bad-ass!

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  30. Oh, I agree. It just seems hypocritical of you making reproduction parts for cars and then thinking they all have to be original Fords. Think about it. I am a purist for the most part but have been softening as I get older.

Jimmy B likes this.